Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer is in the 3-4 year old range and the video just sucks. Its just the onboard graphics that came with the pc so it was probably out of date when i bought it.

Its a Sony VAIO 2.4ghz 500mb ram dvd/cd burner etc.. 80 gig hd ( its plenty for me) Im not a hardcore gamer or anything but there are a few new games i would like to play. other than that all i use my pc for is music, movie backup, pictures, and internet.

Ive found a few cards i think would work but Im stumped on one thing. I know my pc has the AGP. I opened it up and verified it to be there. One of the cards I was looking at said AGP8x (AGP 3.0 slot only). So WTF does that mean?

Im planning on buying from newegg.com I just need to know what card to buy :lol: Im trying to stay in the $100 or less category but not a generic unsupported product.

Ive found this one I think would work
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102428

or this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814241035

If Im completely wrong and there is somthing better just show me 8)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Your looking for AGP 8x. That was the standard for that time. As long as it dosnt say PCI express you should be good. I would lookin into a Gforce 6 or even 7 series and you should see a vast improvement. If you want, another stick of ram could help too. Newegg is the best site to buy from BTW. The ones you are looking at are fine, but like everything else, you get what you pay for, and a card that is 20$ more can sometimes have a vast performance difference. If you have integrated video, then those are going to help a ton though.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
As long as you stick to AGP 4x-8x compatable cards you'll be fine.
Its when you look at 2x-4x cards you run into issues. due to teh notch in the AGP slot.
IF you look at the AGP slot, it will have a slit or notch on one end that kinda devides 1/4 of the slot. That mean its AGP 8x. 4x slost dont have a notch at all.
The nvidia series AGP card are actualy cheaper if you look at them.
4x slot:

8x slot: (the yellow)

This would be a REALLY good deal if your willing to stretch a bit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814141038
And will run queit bit faster than both of those.
But if your partitail to ATi I would try to find a x1600 in AGP. The x1300s are slow and the 9550s are dated.

I also say nvidia because the drivers are much simpler and way less buggy. ATi's arent so friendly. Also ATi just got bought out by AMD, and AMD seems to be going on a name changeing spree with the cards and nobodys sure whats going to happen with the old cards.

You asked a comp question in a CRX forum...BAD IDEA. LOL I wenta and got you pictures!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yea but it is the lougne section. I've seen worse questions. I 2nd that info. I'm partial to Nvidia, and i've had nothing but sucess with them. The 6800 is going to run faster. And it isnt that expensive now that the 8 series is out.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
No, its actualy normaly brown like yours probably is, and teh first slot below the CPU.
I was just showing the notch at the end of the slot to show you the difference.

And what I was saying about asking the video card question here is that its my other hobby/passion. And this question got me going on computers again.

What games are you looking to play?
I have a 6800nu(actualy slower than the one I listed) in a spare comp and it plays all the newest games pretty good. Even need for speed carbon. Prey, Call of duty 3 you name it...

I tried to find you a 6600gt in AGP flavor but sine those are getting a bit rare they have gone up in price to that same as the 6800 I showe dyou

HEH I made a BIGboo boo, thats an AsRock motherboard, I didnt realize it has a sorta dual AGP slot thing going on, the brown one below it is an 8X AGP slot, the yellow one is the exact same slot, just not quiet for AGP video cards. I really need to lay off the caffine...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You have a 4x slot, and the video card is perfect.
And you have a rather nice Asus motherboard. (i think)
I also see why your wanting to upgrade, SiS onboard video, ouch.
AoE 3 is pretty graphical, so that card should be plenty.

Sorry for the late reply I dont have any internet unless Im at work, my DSL modem died.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Yeah its a Asus motherboard. A p4s533-vx (a SiS 651chipset), model of your VAIO is, PCV-RZ50 series. At least Im 80% sure...

Probable specs:
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz HT (up to 3.4ghz possible)
1GB DDR RAm ( or 512mb)
2 x 250GB HDD drives
DVD-177 RW
CD-RW

Sorry I was bored, its the day after thanksgiving and nobody wants to order any food. ANd I just drank a Red Bull...

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually is a PVC-RX860
I bought it at best buy, it was brand new model not even out for a few weeks and they had an open box special on it. $1300 new but i paid $800 open box because it didnt have any power cords. I more power cords than pcs ive ever owned :lol:
LINK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.