Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 90 crx si starts sometimes and sometimes doesnt.. when it doenst i try to drift start it and it sometimes works sometimes doesnt... my ecu is trhowing a 17 code which is the vss would this cause my car not to start sometimes. i have a new alt and battery replaced the postive lead from starter to battery what could be causeing this problem..

·
Registered
778 Posts
what is the VSS? some sort of sensor i'm guessing...

if the car is and isn't starting at times, i would check the main relay first off. do you hear the fuel pump priming even when the car doesn't start?

when the car doesn't start, does it still try to turn over the engine?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
starter soleniod could be dying too, or it could be the ignition switch. Try cleaning the ignition switch up, that could do wonders. If not, then check the main relay, then the starter.

·
Registered
778 Posts
First, if you just replaced the battery and positive lead, check all of that to make sure you have a good connection. I've had trouble starting the car because one of the leads wasn't clamping down tight enough. Also make sure you check all of your main grounds.

Second, check to see if the main relay is bad (this is probably your problem). Turn your key two clicks forward. You should hear your fuel pump kick on for a few seconds and then kick off. If this doesn't happen, it's your main relay. Main relays will also have trouble not working when the temperature in the car is high if they are going bad.

If your main relay is fine, check your distributor cap and rotor for corrosion. These are cheap to replace.

Then check your fuel filter. It may need to be replaced.

If you hear clicking from the starter it could be a bad starter solenoid like stated above. If you replace the starter, I would recommend an OEM one. They are more expensive but last quite a bit longer.

Last, it could be an ECU going bad. Swap out yours with a known to work ECU and see if it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx everyone i am going to try everything you said to try.. alsoone more thing would the main relay make my temp gauge go up and down. when im driving on highway temp gauge says its hot put when i push in the clutch it goes back down...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.