Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i brought my computer to the "geek squad" at bestbuy a few months back. and in there tests my hard drive failed twice and so didn't my power supply. so i replaced my power supply. and i bought a new hard drive(seagate 160gb internal hard drive ultra ATA/100).

the geek squad employee told me to use my hard drive as a back-up or something like that. and then just transfer things over as i want to my new hard drive.

does anyone on here know anything about this? if so can you help me out?

thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
So your hard drive is pooched? Have you installed the new hard drive yet? If the old drive is pooched... the only way I'm aware of is to have a company go in and get the data off... which costs hundreds of bucks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
baker_jeff said:
So your hard drive is pooched? Have you installed the new hard drive yet? If the old drive is pooched... the only way I'm aware of is to have a company go in and get the data off... which costs hundreds of bucks.
my hard drive isn't "pooched" persay. i'm still using it. it just has some glinches i deal with. no i haven't installed the new hard drive yet. well, i'm pretty sure i don't need a company to transfer all my data over for me. from the info the geek squad guy was saying and the directions of my new hard drive. it seems "easy" but time consumeing. but when i say "easy" i mean "easy" for the computer knowledged people out there :) !!!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
on a basic computer setup there are 2 IDE channels identified by the large ribbon cables..... there is ide 1 and ide 2 each channel ( both 1 and 2 ) can support 2 devices. . . . weather it be hard drives, cr roms, d burners, dvd burners, zip drives, etc....

most likely your hard drive is on its own channel meaning htat it is the only device on that cable..... . . .
and your cd rom is the only device on the other cable ( ide2)
each cable like I said can support 2 devices.... . . in order for it to do that one device has to be the master of that cable and one has to be the slave....

there are little pins on all of your devices that let you change weather they are masters or slaves.....

most likely if you r hard drive is the only device on that particular cable then it is the master. . . . . . all you would need to do to hook up the other drive is to jumper the drive as a slave or secondary drive on that channel and hook the power into it..... . . .the computer should recognise the new device and it should show up in my computer as another hadr drive. . . . .however once your drive fails. . . you will need to load your operating system onti the drive ( Windows)

i would suggest that you get the files that you want to leep and either mail them to an online account like gmail. . . . or back them up to some sort of removable media like a cd rom disk or a pen drive..... . . .get all of your goodies off of your old hard drive and then take the old drive out... . . .

put the new drive in and jumper it out just like the old drive was. . . ( master= master) and then reload windows and all of your software and drivers.... ans then reinstall all of your data. . . . . . just reading this is starting to sound complicated to me and I run a computer shop and do this every day.. . .. . .feel free to pm me with any questions and i can help you out better or you can call me. . . .

good luck

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toxiclows said:
on a basic computer setup there are 2 IDE channels identified by the large ribbon cables..... there is ide 1 and ide 2 each channel ( both 1 and 2 ) can support 2 devices. . . . weather it be hard drives, cr roms, d burners, dvd burners, zip drives, etc....

most likely your hard drive is on its own channel meaning htat it is the only device on that cable..... . . .
and your cd rom is the only device on the other cable ( ide2)
each cable like I said can support 2 devices.... . . in order for it to do that one device has to be the master of that cable and one has to be the slave....

there are little pins on all of your devices that let you change weather they are masters or slaves.....

most likely if you r hard drive is the only device on that particular cable then it is the master. . . . . . all you would need to do to hook up the other drive is to jumper the drive as a slave or secondary drive on that channel and hook the power into it..... . . .the computer should recognise the new device and it should show up in my computer as another hadr drive. . . . .however once your drive fails. . . you will need to load your operating system onti the drive ( Windows)

i would suggest that you get the files that you want to leep and either mail them to an online account like gmail. . . . or back them up to some sort of removable media like a cd rom disk or a pen drive..... . . .get all of your goodies off of your old hard drive and then take the old drive out... . . .

put the new drive in and jumper it out just like the old drive was. . . ( master= master) and then reload windows and all of your software and drivers.... ans then reinstall all of your data. . . . . . just reading this is starting to sound complicated to me and I run a computer shop and do this every day.. . .. . .feel free to pm me with any questions and i can help you out better or you can call me. . . .

good luck

Chris
YES reading that does sound complicated!! i'll PM you. and call you tomorrow.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's not so bad once you get rolling. It will be fun because you will understand a little more about your PC, like your first oil change on the rex!

So definatley get that new drive in there. What I like to do is create a partition on one drive that holds only windows. That way if I need to re-install windows fresh there is a partition that can be formatted. Then on that partition ("C") only use it for applications, saving all your files to nicely organized folders on the other partition. It might sound convoluted now but it's really not so bad! Chris can tell you more about it if you start this process.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
my sony came w/ a 80 gig with a partition. 13gig runs windows and most programs, then the rest i use for my dvd stuff and music. its pretty sweet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts