Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does anyone have one of these in their car? I'm mainly curious as to how securely it installs into the car. My current DC Sports one didn't come with any mounting brackets or anything, so it flops around beside the battery a bit.

I'd be really curious to have both an AEM and an Iceman to compare the performance output. Iceman's argument about the benefits of plastic over metal for a cold air system do seem reasonable. Plastic doesn't conduct heat as well as metal. I'm just curious to see if it makes a difference in the real world.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Everything that I have read about the benefits of CAI are ambiguous at best.
In practical theory, cold air is better for detonation.
But testing the gains is proving difficult.
HP claims are just that, IMO.
Yes there are gains, but the factors involved are giving me a headache.

O.K. off the soapbox, and I am just giving my opinion, what with the little I've read.

I have the AEM CAI and the filter element sat too low in the wheel well, rubbed a hole in the splash guard.
So I took that and the by-pass off and just have the filter (cleaned, man it was dirty) on the short intake.
I really cant tell any difference performance wise :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I also have the AEM full CAI. I noticed no performance gain whatsoever. But it did change the sound completely, including adding a "throttle-body whistle" as Composimo called it. I call it annoying. But whatever, it looks cool, sounds cool for the most part.

Also, if you feel the metal intake when it's running (and pulling cold air in), it feels MUCH cooler than the intake manifold. I can't see it being a huge difference between a plastic and metal intake. (The cold air is flowing right through the intake, keeping it cool.) Unless you're sitting for long periods of time at low idle, when there is time for heat on the manifold to creep down to the intake, I can't imagine it being a huge difference.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have a laptop output on my ECU.
One of the parameters is intake air temperature.

The cold air intake has a significant lower intake temp than a regular intake. Not as much lower as a stock one. Guess that plastic insulates pretty well. Too bad the flow is poo-poo.

So there might not be much of a gain in the ass-dyno. It's a registerable difference.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The benefit you get over stock is not really from intake temperature but more from having a less restrictive intake, and also having a certain length intake that is tuned for a certain rpm range more than likely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts