Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang...where to start?...

I have an '89 HF that I've been using as a daily driver (bought it off a buddy of mine for $500). It's rusted up pretty good (especially on the fenders and rocker panels). It drives great (with some shuddering at part throttle...no biggie), and gets very good fuel economy (about 40 highway, 30-35 mixed). Interior is in good shape.

Here's my initial idea, feel free to comment:
I'd like to get the body panels fixed, and protected w/ POR-15. Will body panels off any other Honda products fit? Also, regarding the engine, is it worth rebuilding the D15? I'm loving the economy of this puppy. I'm not all about power, as I have the GTP for that fix. I'd like something that is nimble, that I may auto-x in the future, and has great fuel economy. Will any of the 1.6 variants offer good milage in comparison to the D15?

Keeping handling and economy in mind, what approach would you take? Thanks in advance for your input!

-Alex

P.S. While I know this will not be a super-cheap endeavor, I'm not looking to break the bank either. :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Well, a rebuilt D15 from the HF should get you around 45-50mpg, but its going to drag. You can swap in an Si (D16A6) motor and get 32ish around town, and you'll notice a nice increase in performance (~110hp). Also, you could drop in a later civic 1.6, for around the same milage, and still better performance(~130).

Another option to keep the effeciency, is a hybrid tranny. You would use the 5th gear from the hf for cruising, and use 1-4 from a DX or Si, with the Si final drive.

Body panels, your looking at pretty much CRX only parts. The rockers are still available from Honda for around 85. Fenders (fronts?) will come off any 88-89 CRX, and possibly the hatchback. The rear fenders are also available from Honda, but will run you up near $400 each.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i dunno if u wnna get good gas milage i suggest rebulding the d15 im rebuilding mine to drop into a 1st gen rex for my daily driver. u will notice a huge difference on gas if u drop a si engine in compared to the hf engine with mine before i took her apart i was averagin 50miles hwy and 45 city. now sence i got a sohc zc in my 88 rex im fillin my tank up ever 3 days with the hf i could go weeks without having to fill her up. but either way u go is a good option ii say

·
Registered
859 Posts
don't even bother with the hf motor, i have 2 of them and i am swappin in an si motor that i am getting tomorow, you will still get decent gas mileage, you can find a good a6 motor for around 250-300

the one i am getting comes with EVERYTHING and a carbonfiber hood just for my 17 inch rims and tires, so ya there are some good deals out there still

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I had a feeling that the front fenders from a hatch are similar or the same as the CRX. As for the motor, I think the cheapest solution would be to work over the D15. I don't think I'll even need to mess with the bottom end...I may do a rebuild for kicks though.

Do the HF's have thinner axles? Would you also need axles from an Si to drop in a 1.6? I suppose that's neither here nor there...

How about wheels? I'm thinking a nice set of 15's. What widths are some of y'all running?

Thanks again,
-Alex

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
fenders on the hatch are the same... cross refferenced the part number on Hondaautomotiveparts.com.

Yes, the axles are thinner. There are a few solutions though. You could use the HF tranny with the Si motor, limited acceleration, since they would be such long gears. You could also build hybrid axles. Use the HF end at the knuckle on the Si/DX axles. Third option is to upgrade the front brakes to 90-91 EX brakes/knuckles, and then you can run the Si/DX axles.

now, you may be able to run the HF axles, I'm just not sure how they would fit in the Si tranny.

If you decide to rebuild the D15, I say do it all... you have it apart, why do it twice? Besides, the rings in our cars are weak, compared to the cylinder walls. If you have low compression, I'd look more at the rings than the valves.

I would rebuild an Si motor, I've picked them up pretty cheap around here, you just need to know people. The one in my car I got for, well, the time it took me to rip it out of the donor car and drop it in mine. (about a day and a half).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I highly recommend a full swap. Search the net for a good deal on a SOHC or DOHC 1.6L ZC dropout. You'll want the transmission and the motor. You can source some Si/DX axles for a not too pricey amount, and you can raid a salvage yard for Si/DX/EX front knuckles. Replace the pads, and anything else that needs to be done and probably still come out under 200$. In my SOHC ZC I get 35-40mpg (I also have an HF 5th gear swapped into my Si transmission though) on the highway, and 30mpg around town. But let me tell ya, it is a LOT more fun than my stock 92hp D15B2 was. If you need help w/ anything just let us know, we're all here to help you 'pimp yo ride' if you will! LOL

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've heard of more than one poerson with a B18a/b getting 40MPG. Less throttle needed to get off the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts