Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the topic says it all. My wife and I had just gotten the CRX (43k miles on it), and we drove it from Los Angeles to San Diego. Her parents told us it had just had the oil changed. Anyway, I bought a book, new struts for the hatch, windshield wiper fluid... the usual. After we drove the 150 miles home, I checked the oil to see if it burned any, only to discover that there was way too much oil. To the tune of an extra quart. Well, I figured that would explain the smell on the highway and after I'd turn the car off. So, I drained it, put the proper amount of oil in, new filter, all that good stuff.

So now then. What can I expect in the way of problems? I still get a funky burning oil smell when I stop, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was. My first thought was that a new PCV valve may be in order. Anyone have any ideas? Or do CRX's just burn a little oil?

·
Registered
859 Posts
well depending on how many miles are on the car i am pretty sure shes just brunin alittle oil but then again give it a fewk more days of driving the small should subside, they might have got some oil on something hot.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
A few words of advice: Never trust a previous owners maintenance to a vehicle. Whenever I get a new vehicle, I always re-do all of the maintenance on the car. Oil, air filter, fuel filter, coolant, spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, and any other items that need replacing. This way, you start with a clean slate... you know that the maintenance was done correctly.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Mine was overfull when I got it too, and looked like it hadn't been changed in years. I think the PO did it because it was burning a little oil, and tried to keep it full so he wouldn't have to fill it all the time. My tranny was overfilled too, when I opened the check hole thing it came pouring out... and by "it" I mean heavy heavy gear oil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The worst of the worst would be that the excess oil will be churned into a frothy mess by the crankshaft, causing it to aerate and create oil pressure problems. Also, aerated oil doesn't lube very well. Excessive wear on the motor is most likely. Also, excessive oil can put a strain on your oil seals.

It sounds like you didn't drive it too far. I think it'll be okay.
Give it a week and see if the burning oil smell goes away and keep an eye on the dip stick.

Most manufacturers consider oil loss of up to 1qt/1000 miles acceptable. (thats about all of the oil in your engine per oil change :oops: )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. The car only had 43k miles on it.

2. I drove it all of 120 miles before noticing.

3. This was 2k miles ago.

4. I stil get the burnt oil smell, but it is significantly less.

5. I am burning extremely little oil now, per the dipstick - no need to add any. May be only 1/16th of a quart burnt in 2k miles.

It seems to me that the motor is sort of ironing itself out. I'm greatly encouraged by the lack of oil burning. I love this car. Just want to make sure I hadn't blown the PCV valve or anything like that. Thanks, all, for the feedback. I'm feeling pretty secure about the car now.

BTW, when I changed the oil, I changed to synthetic 5W-30. Seeing as how I live in San Diego, and the temp only dips down to 50 at night, I should be fine, right?

·
Registered
731 Posts
There's nothing to worry about. I put 5 quarts in my beater civic all the time. Besides, an extra quart is not enough to reach the crankshaft and cause a churing of the oil. The smell you mention is probably just oil spillage somewhere you can't see and is burning off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
holy crap ..a CRX with only 43K miles! i cant remember the last time i saw one with less than 120k

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Pag said:
holy crap ..a CRX with only 43K miles! i cant remember the last time i saw one with less than 120k
Yup 43K is low.(good find)I'm jealous.
Mine is 64K original Paq. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually got rid of the smell. I ran some Seafoam through the throttle body (the brake-line vacuum hose method) and it cleaned it out. Fabulous stuff. Made me pretty freaking happy. I notice the engine is a bit snappier, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
(what's up with the repeat login crap - if I'm out for a week or so, then I'm out for a week or so! gimme a break. Might as well be over at Steves!)

dohcrxl, I'm with you on this. Otherwise, just drain it out and put in the right amount of oil. I've had friends call me up on this matter, and that's what I've told them. (Usually it's on a week night and they are in a hurry... not just CRXs)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts