Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been doing it all the way to work this morning, and everyonce in a while before that. It also did it on my Wagovan when I was driving that.

At idle, it will rev to 1200, drop to 500, rev to 1200, drop to 500, etc. I like to tell people it's my super aggresive cams (LOL). Any ideas? :shock:

·
Registered
257 Posts
first check your vacumn lines..I am gonna assume its all the time..hot or cold motor.

next take your intake off the throttle body and on the back side (meaning closest to fire wall)of the throttle body on the inside of it...there should be 1 to 2 holes there about the size of a AA battery head....put your finger overe on of these at a time while the car is running and giving you this bad idle..if it changes it then you know whats wrong. EACV.

let me know.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jonny_Black said:
first check your vacumn lines..I am gonna assume its all the time..hot or cold motor.

next take your intake off the throttle body and on the back side (meaning closest to fire wall)of the throttle body on the inside of it...there should be 1 to 2 holes there about the size of a AA battery head....put your finger overe on of these at a time while the car is running and giving you this bad idle..if it changes it then you know whats wrong. EACV.

let me know.
Yes it happens cold or hot. Thank you for the info, I will check'r out!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you mean IACV? Idle Air Control Valve? I just wanna make sure cause I'm having sort of the same issue.

My Idle is a little differernt than yours tho. Mine will Idle fine at 900 most of the time. Sometimes it will start to drop, almost to choking out, then bounce back up again. I tried the TPS, that didn't work. Next is the IAC valve.

Baker, for yours, I'd check your throttle position sensor. They aren't that hard to test if you don't have a spare laying around. Check your repair manual, and it shold show you how to test TPS.

Good luck!!! Race ya!

·
Registered
68 Posts
check ur coolent level. check for rad leaks. check for coolent hose leaks. then take the iacv off and clean it with breakcleaner. to do that just take it off the car (2 12mm bolts) and 2 coolent lines under the unit (held on by pinch clamps)spray the cleaner in the screen (if its still there) and in the hole and shake it around and pour it out. Repeat several times and reinstall in reverse order. lemmie know how it turns out

·
Registered
274 Posts
IT can be your fast idle vavle. The tw oholes Composimo is talking about are : the top one is going through the IAC/EACV, the bottom one goes through the Fast Idle Vavle. This is like an IAV/EACV, but the valve is méchanically actuated by the temperature of the coolant water and has a tendency to break a lot. If your bottom hold, when plugged stops the car from boucing it's idle, you can remove the valve, and sandwich-in an alu plate between the intake and the fast idle valve.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Looking at the 'A6 manifold/TB I still have laying around, There's one hole that feeds both the IACV and the fast idle solenoid valve.
I don't think any '88-91 Civic/CRX engines had a FITV (fast idle thermo-valve) but if you have a messed up one, there's no need to disable it - It can be fixed fairly easily. Unbolt it from the throttle body and remove the end cap (I forget which... The domed one I think?). You should see a white plastic donut shaped deal... It's threaded around the outside edge and has a slot across it, making it look like you could stick a really big flathead screwdriver in it. Do just that - Grab a screwdriver and thread it down as far as it will go. Snug it down, but don't mess up the plastic. Screw the endcap back on and reinstall the valve.

·
Registered
494 Posts
then take the iacv off and clean it with breakcleaner. to do that just take it off the car (2 12mm bolts) and 2 coolent lines under the unit (held on by pinch clamps)spray the cleaner in the screen (if its still there) and in the hole and shake it around and pour it out. Repeat several times and reinstall in reverse order. lemmie know how it turns out
Well, did this work? I have to do the same to mine. If I mess it up, they want $200 for a new one. Just wanna make sure this works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.