Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming you had control over factory production of the CRX using today's technology, what changes would you make in order to improve it?

I've got one idea to get the ball rolling: I would apply the technology from the NSX to the CRX suspension (aluminum parts) in order to reduce unsprung weight. I might also look into alternate material options for the chassis to try to overcome the rust problem that most CRX's encounter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,146 Posts
i would do plastic quarter panels like the element, but not be gay like the element and paint everything.

and a little bit of lexus tech where the car "knows" its you. you can just put your hand on the trunk, door to open them, and no key needed because it knows you.

A HUD could be pretty cool too, add to the cockpit feel of the crx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
GSRCRXsi said:
k20 engine w/6 speed close ratio tranny
i need to save up for the K-series swap now. since hasport made the mount kits :D !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KAOS said:
i need to save up for the K-series swap now. since hasport made the mount kits :D !!
The fact that you have to weld the kit in place kind of bothers me though... at least, that's how it was the last time I checked up on this swap. Reminds me of the days when people had to weld in their mounts for their B18C swaps :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
stickershop said:
The fact that you have to weld the kit in place kind of bothers me though... at least, that's how it was the last time I checked up on this swap. Reminds me of the days when people had to weld in their mounts for their B18C swaps :p
yea you gotta weld it on but you poisition it by bolting it to existing bolt holes then welding so theres pretty much no way to screw it up. as long as whoever is doing the welding is a competent welder there shouldnt be any problems. and you only have to weld one thing. and thats the bracket for the mount on the passenger side. i think you have to cut the other mount off too, im not sure of that though. after that the other mounts bolt on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
stickershop said:
KAOS said:
i need to save up for the K-series swap now. since hasport made the mount kits :D !!
The fact that you have to weld the kit in place kind of bothers me though... at least, that's how it was the last time I checked up on this swap. Reminds me of the days when people had to weld in their mounts for their B18C swaps :p
that doesn't bother me 1 bit. it's not like i'll ever go back to a D-series or even a B-series if i had the swap :twisted: !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Might as well take the aluminum idea all the way, like the plymouth Prowler... it would be lighter, but would it be as rigid?

I'd love power windows and door locks too :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
the k20 would cause terrible steering right? im guessing since the k20 weighs alot more than the D series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I seem to remember hearing that the k20 weighs about as much as a B18, Maybe even LESS!! :shock: My concern would be about where the motor actually sits in the engine bay. I think it sits too high and forward to maintain the stock balance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Devin said:
the k20 would cause terrible steering right? im guessing since the k20 weighs alot more than the D series.
Yes, swapping in a K motor would "kill" your handling, but no more than a B motor would. A typical K-series weighs the same as a typical B-series. The benefit of swapping in a K over a B is the much improved torque curve.

However, I commend you for considering the handling factor. A B or K series motor will never be swapped into my CRX. Hondas don't have the potential of being one of the fastest cars on the road, but they do have the potential of being one of the best handling cars on the road...so why ruin that? 8) D-series for life!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
Laure said:
One word: cupholders. :D
Here Here!
I agree wholeheartedly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Take an insight body. Drop the batteries and rear wheel covers, and add in the side impact airbags (Have to have them, safety regulations)
HF = 1.3l i-DSI L series engine.
STD = 1.5l i-DSI L series engine.
Si = Sunroof and either a K20, 1.5l L series VTEC engine, or a DOHC L series engine, should one ever be produced.

I half like and half dislike the idea of an aluminum body, only because lately I've had to take to welding my car up a little. I don't even know what kind of machinery you'd need to weld aluminum. Then again, that's thinking waaay into the future, and rust wouldn't be a problem anyhow...

And I'm sure aluminum frames could be just as strong as any steel one. Just look at the NSX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
i like the idea of adding all of the luxuries that are now practically standard on cars these days.. like anti lock brakes, power windows and locks keyless entry... power steering...... then agian it is these creature comforts that make cars heavy and slow and we do not need slow..... So i would have to keep it as is..... I know alot of you so not like the new civic Si hatch.... but i would like to see a CRX shaped one of those..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
chet90si said:
Yes, swapping in a K motor would "kill" your handling, but no more than a B motor would. A typical K-series weighs the same as a typical B-series. The benefit of swapping in a K over a B is the much improved torque curve.

However, I commend you for considering the handling factor. A B or K series motor will never be swapped into my CRX. Hondas don't have the potential of being one of the fastest cars on the road, but they do have the potential of being one of the best handling cars on the road...so why ruin that? 8) D-series for life!
maybe with stock suspension handling will be killed but up the spring rates and handling is just fine :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
GSRCRXsi said:
maybe with stock suspension handling will be killed but up the spring rates and handling is just fine :)
Not quite. A D-series CRX with 'perfectly tuned suspension' will always out-handle a B-series CRX with 'perfectly tuned suspension'.

The facts of life:
~Nose heavy cars have handling/understeering issues.
~FF cars are naturaly nose-heavy.
~A B-motor will a CRX even more nose-heavy.

I know its an exaggeration, but thats like saying a Ford Festiva with a semi-truck motor will handle well if it has the right rates.

Spring rates help, but they don't cure everything.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top