Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was driving along and downshifted missed 4 and went to 2nd and my car jerked really hard and from then on my car knocks up around 4k right when i shift you can here it

what do yo think could of happen when i downshifted?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was going about 50. just crusin around on the back streets bored.
it sounds like its knocking just like my old motor was. but i cant be to sure.

could i put some thicker motor oil and kinda clear it up!

the reason i missed 4 was because of my super slopy shifter its hard to find gears i fixed it once but i think the bolt i use keeps coming lose well atleast it has the past coupld of times i have tightned it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont know man! its knocking around 4 and i didnt do anything but miss a shift.

there is oil in it. but not totaly full. but when i rebuilt the motor i didnt clean any of the oil passages do you think one of them could be cloged and i spun a bearing??????? none of them main gurtle, block head nothing i just put the new parts and the motor together.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
i dont know man! its knocking around 4 and i didnt do anything but miss a shift.

there is oil in it. but not totaly full. but when i rebuilt the motor i didnt clean any of the oil passages do you think one of them could be cloged and i spun a bearing??????? none of them main gurtle, block head nothing i just put the new parts and the motor together.
i dont mean to bash. . . But if you went through all of the work to pul the engine and time and money to rebuild it. . .why did you kinda half azz it? thats allot of work to not do it right and just have problems come back to haunt you. . i would imagine that you probably hurt something in the engine that thicker iol is not foing to ' fix" i wold suggest. pulling the valve cover and checking all of your valve clearances, check your 2 cam gears against the crank and make sure the timing belt did not jump a tooth. and then run a compression cranking test to see if you smacked a valve or mashed a piston. . . if nothing turns up here you are looking at a bottom end i would say. . . . then again . . . .its really hard to diagnose problems over the internet without actually being there to hear the noise. ..

good luck. . .

Chris

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:

The title of the thread is kind of misleading since it wasn't the motors fault that you missed a shift.

I agree with toxic on this though as it is the first thing that popped in my head after reading all of this.
Why spend all the time and money to rebuild your motor, but then only do half the job?
This is some of the problem with the younger crowd in the Honda community, have to rush to get things done, not do them right or completely...then they end up dong it over 4 more times. :?

GL with the rebuild......again.

·
Registered
779 Posts
baker423 said:
90crxhf_w/ZC said:

The title of the thread is kind of misleading since it wasn't the motors fault that you missed a shift.

I agree with toxic on this though as it is the first thing that popped in my head after reading all of this.
Why spend all the time and money to rebuild your motor, but then only do half the job?
This is some of the problem with the younger crowd in the Honda community, have to rush to get things done, not do them right or completely...then they end up dong it over 4 more times. :?

GL with the rebuild......again.
Not all young honda gear heads half ass (http://forums.vitalmotion.net/you-your- ... ccord.html)

Now as for your situation. Do the simple check on the engine. Toxiclows said it perfectly. I agree with them, you should of went thru the rebuild properly, and since you didn't, this could be it bitting you in the ass (or not).

Either way, if the ZC is junk, either rebuild it again properly or buy another one. You can't get mad at a 17 year old engine when it starts to fail a little, even after a rebuild. Rebuilds don't replace all 17 year old parts.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well thanks for the input guys

and i know its not all the ZC's fault baker its mostly mine for the missed shift.

a 17 year old motor that has been through 2 people that drove it hard. with out a rebuild before. so instead of buying all new parts i just bot some new ones and put it together i had to rush through it because i had no other type of transportation and school was going to start in 3 days so i had to build it yank the old motor and match up the tranny and engine and put it back in in 3 days.

but i got it running and it ran good while it lasted it was a good strong motor.

thanks guys
cody

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
school was going to start in 3 days so i had to build it yank the old motor and match up the tranny and engine and put it back in in 3 days.

but i got it running and it ran good while it lasted it was a good strong motor.

thanks guys
cody
does the old motor still run?

if so, drop it in while you rebuild the ZC, so there's no rush.
take the time to spec everything and do it right. some fresh parts only prolong the inevitable if any one of the 3 ownwers that drove it hard broke/damaged something importnant.

if not, grab a cheap Si/HF motor to toss in for a while, and take a few monthes to restore the ZC properly. I've talked to you quite a bit, you're a level headed guy.

Is a b16 the answer? Ultimately we can't tell you what you'd be happiest with.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, im happy with the ZC. what do you think i could get a si motor for cheap at. i am really good at building motors. i just get excited so i just start to rush things. but if i have another motor in my car then ill build it with other bolt ons also1

im buying a car today or tomarrow! its a 80's model mustang with the 4cyl in it cheap car but its dependable so i can save up and buy parts for my ZC. ill just go all out on the ZC while im at it ill just spend like 1000 or 1500 on the motor while its out so i can do it now and not later on down the road!

what do you guys think???? any help will be useful thanks guys!

cody-

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hahahahaha yeah i never thought about that haha :lol: :D
but yeah its total of 1350 for the car. but since im starting at firestone and dont have very many bills i shoud have my car running SOON and this time ill take pics and stuff like that!!

what motor do i buy rings for; for the ZC just the 88 integra d16a3 or a6, and what about the bearings the same motor or NO!

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
SETI20 said:
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
i am really good at building motors.
And yet this one broke after how many miles? And last time you forgot about half of the steps involving "building" a motor.

Remember. Bolting something together does not equal "building".
:lol:
I read that and laughed.

Let's just say i wouldn't let him build any of my motors.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.