Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just part time for now, then....we'll see.

I made a couple of batches and passed them out at work and got good comments.
Well, sorta orders for more, I mean.

So, I am buying another smoker, and I'm gonna start making it during the week, along with working the insane hours at work.

So, It will be a challenge at first, due to the hours of my job, but I really think I can make some folks happy (happy mouths=happy people).
AND, I'm pretty sure that I can make some extra money on the deal.

At first it's just gonna be a small thing, maybe 10-15 pounds a week, but later there will be more.

Wish me luck, folks, I'm jumping on a roller coaster to somewhere.

PM me if you want to be put on the order list, but please be patient for your order to arrive.

Dave

·
Registered
734 Posts
Awesome man, hope it really takes off for you and you can throw some cash into the CRX if that's what you wanna do with it. That jerky is good stuff, I tried a little at N9...N10? Somewhere in there :)

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Ummm dave?
Arent you bringing some to N12?
I hope so because I'm getting withdrawls...... :twisted:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awww, thanks, guys...it aint nothin special...lol.
I am getting the stuff together in the next week or 2, as I need to order more chips and the other smoker and spare heating elements.
I had one (element) go out mid-smoke, and it ruined a whole batch as I froze it waiting for the part then it got freezer burned, (or something, it didn't fair well.)

I will be making 2 kinds, at first, the regular, which is the sweet kind, and Tabasco® mixed with the sweet.
I got the hot one down (I think), it doesn't taste hot till you get a couple of chews in, then the pleasant heat (not TO hot) comes on.

I know I am skating close to the "no commercial stuff" on here, so for the price of the jerky, you need to pm me.

And, I wont take money till I have your order done.
I don't need the stress of having your money and trying to get it to ya.

Later, I may tweak the recipe, and add other flavors\kinds of meat.
But, for now, 2 kinds is all I'll be making.

So, give me a couple of weeks, and I'll be sending out the best jerky I've ever tasted.
And I've tasted alot of jerky, trust me, I'm a big a jerky fiend as any one of yaz.

Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those of you that had the jerky at N9, really didn't get my best effort.
I overcooked it, and I'm sorta embarrassed about that batch.
The batch that Steve (Scramblerman) took up last year was MUCH better...
John (Compismo) got some of my better efforts. So, he can give a good review... you better dude, if you want more. lol
Sadly, I don't think I will make the N meet this year, but I may send some jerky up with Gator, or 7PSI, so those of you that haven't tried it can get a taste.
I figure I'll follow the crack dealer business model.
Give you all a free sample, get you hooked, then charge you up the yang after :p
I AM planning on getting to the Orlando meet in October, the kids can go to Mickey world, and I can hang with the the CRX freaks.
Gator, the offer still stands dude, you can ride (and drive too) down with me and stop at Scramblermans crib for the night.
Don't worry about the bears, I'll put my C.B. in and we can talk to the truck drivers to find out where they are.
It looks as if it may take a *bit* longer to get things up and running, I REALLY got behind in my bills when I was out of work, so please bear with me.
I AM going to get another smoker (I've been thinking of 2 more) but it may have to wait 2-3 weeks.

The response is gratifying, as it is always scary to start something like this.

Stay tuned, I'll make sure and keep you all informed as to the progress of everything.

Dave

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Now I know I will come off as some kind of tree-hugger, but the only beef I eat comes from pasture grass, not grain, fed cattle. Cattle were never meant to eat grain so their gut so acidic that they often get infections. Hence, they have to also get massive antibiotics. Are antibiotics bad? I don't know. But I would prefer to have beef natural with all the Omega 3 that comes from grass fed cattle. I think it also tastes a lot better.

Any chance I could get some made with some beef I would have shipped to you from a local rancher here? It is leaner so I don't know how that would affect the taste.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Charles, you know, I've been thinking about that.
I found a website:

http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

They have a map of the states with listings of farms that sell organic meat and other products.
I know that the cooking times need to be adjusted for grass fed beef, and the best kind of meat for jerky is the leanest possible.
Marbling of the meat is bad-in curing terms- as that is what will go rancid during any long term storage.
I try and not have any fat in my jerky, but its pretty much impossible...I WOULD like to try some grass fed beef, but I would need to pay you for it, at first, just in case it doesn't come out right.
I'm sure I can do it, and it probably wouldn't smoke up any different then the store bought kind, but I really wouldn't like to send out any that wasn't up to my standards...
Just have them cut some London Broil about 2" thick, or an eye round roast works pretty good too.

On edit:
I make this with just soy sauce and brown sugar, and the Tabasco® for the spicy loving folks.
What I'm trying to say is that I WANT to keep it a natural as possible, and grass fed beef would be in line with that philosophy.
I does cost more, so prices would have to be adjusted...

Dave

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Here's the folks I buy from:
http://www.burgundypasturebeef.com/public_home.php

Looks like London Broil is $5.99 and cut 1 1/4" thick, though I am sure you could order it thicker. Find someone locally to you as I think shipping is gonna cost. However, make sure they don't feed lot them before slaughter. I am glad to hear lean will work better. Because though the meat is leaner, the flavor is more intense.

They sell jerky locally. $4 for 2 ounces! Haven't tried it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.