Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone ive been looking at this Community for abut 3 months while doing research on your site i decided to join. i recently bought a 91' CRX Si and this is my project car and im willing to do anything to this thing but i was wondering if H22 is a good engine to put into a crx for performance, or do you guys have another idea for different motor ive got alot of future plans for my baby :twisted: so anyways share your opinions for what i should put in this car :lol: i will have pics here pretty soon it needs alot of work but im really good at working on cars and i do body work so it will be fun for me 8)

·
Registered
731 Posts
All depends what you're gonna use the car for, how much you're willing to spend, and how fast you wanna be. Just so you know the h22 is not the easiest thing to fit into a rex. Once in though, I hear there are only two speeds... FASSST and OMFG! -just ask a guy surnamed Krix.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i dont care how much its going to cost and ya this isnt going to be a commuter its for racing and show... but i was wondering which is better for horsepower and torque , like idk if i want a H22 or a K20.. so uh any other engine ideas? oh ya and i do alot of body work and i know how to weld so i will get that h22 in :p hehe

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would opt K20 for sure. hands down. Not only for the motor, but the tranny, and weight (i'm not saying H is too heavy, just i'm all about less weight)!

alotta $$$ involved, get ready to become sir spend-a-lot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
h22 motors will fit with the right mounts and what not. I thought i saw a k20 mounts for civic or crx...i don't remember... If money is not a issue than i'd rock a k20. H22 motors are nice with 200 or 210hp. But downside of h22 is they are heavy.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
daoshao said:
But downside of h22 is they are heavy.
They are not any heavier than a B series.

K series is going to be expensive right from the get go, they are a relatively newer motor and mounts and wiring are going to be extensive and expensive.

H22 is doable and is somewhat common, more so than the K. Motors are reasonably priced, there are lots out there and the mounts and wiring are out there as well.

It really depends on what you want from the car, what you can afford and if you can do the work yourself and how much work you realyl want to put into it.

Here is a k20 link i found while searching...

http://www.norcalcrx.org/droppedcrxsi/k20-how-to.htm

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
the K is totally drivable not that heavy. . . . i got the same crap when i put the 350 in my s 10 or and the 350 in my vega .. . . I was defiantly not the first person to do this swap or i would have not been using swap mounts I wold expect slight handling differences thats it. . . the extra power should more than compensate for that. . . I love my b swap.. . and being from a small town . .. . hell i am the hnda god with a swap .. . .but my stuff is small potatoes compared to what some of you are doing heck if i had it to do over i would do the H22A pure torque. . . and still a cheap junkyard swap . . . . . tha fits me well . . . . low buck. . . .stealthy and fast. . . . .my mildly built b18 runs nice. . compared to all of the oter ricer junk in my town. . . . but if i were to face a h22 Hf. i would be toast. . .

Its p to your , your abilities and your budget. . . . . . K is def. the wave of the future . .. . .h22 is still old skool and totally doable with lots of support. . . . either way. . . you are still going to command way more respect than a built D or a b swap. . .

just my 2 cents
chris ( wishing my biggest problem was k swap or H swap )

·
Registered
675 Posts
splicedragon said:
well i dont care how much its going to cost and ya this isnt going to be a commuter its for racing and show... but i was wondering which is better for horsepower and torque , like idk if i want a H22 or a K20.. so uh any other engine ideas? oh ya and i do alot of body work and i know how to weld so i will get that h22 in :p hehe
Well, since you know how to do a lil fab work either swap should be relativly easy for you. That is really all the difficulty that is involved, welding in the mounts and triming a lil bit of the bay.
My opinion-
Having driven an H22 swaped 96 civic and a K20 swapped 96 civic, I could feel a night and day difference. The tranny is the main thing I noticed, the H22 swapped car just felt like it took forever to get into any kind of power band on the street, the K20 swapped car on the other hand went from 3000 RPM to 8000 RPM in third gear effortlessly it seemed. Both engines were stock and untuned, the noticable difference was just in the gearing.

As far as which engine:
The K20 is newer, less miles, better all around in design. The expense is putting it in, after that making power is cheap and easy compared to the H22.
The H22 is older, has more miles than the K on average, not as much aftermarket support (debatable) and the initial cost is cheaper.
Power difference:
Torque can be manipulated through gearing, the K wins that battle hands down with the all of the tranny/final drive options available. The K also has a better head flow wise, more potential for power production.
You can make up the torque in the H22 with the H2B tranny kit, that allows you to use a B-series tranny.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I was running an H22 setup with the H2B setup. I originally had a B16 trans, then later an LS trans. ( no reason other than the b16 trans broke.)

here is a LINK
to a post i made when I finished up the swap. There are pics and things there. Ive got to get to work now or Id type up a better reply :oops:

·
Registered
711 Posts
K for the tranny! i'm telling you do the research, you'll see the OEM FDs available!

k24 block/k20 head if $ is not an issue! (i dunno if you'd be able to close the hood with this one... i'm gonna say no)

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
jfrolang said:
baker423 said:
daoshao said:
But downside of h22 is they are heavy.
They are not any heavier than a B series.
Well that's not true. It's not a huge difference, but what I've seen puts an H22 swap about 40-60 pounds heavier than a B16.
I should have been more specific, the H22 has more torque and rated hp than almost any b series. So with more torque and hp, the extra 40-60 lbs that it weighs over a b series should not make that much difference.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the replies guys this is helping my future plans much i think im going to go for the whole K20 deal.. if i can find a good deal on one somewhere near here which i doubt will happen ... but w/e i think the h22 will be easier for me to get here in cali then a new engine .. not many people round here have rsx's :rolleyes1: especially crashed ones lol :lol: well now i just gotta start savin the money

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh almost forgot to ask... i know websites i can buy my h22 motors... B16's B18's ... so on and so forth ... but i cant seem to find any that sell k20 series... anyone know any .. mabey sites that import from japan..??? :lol:
oh and i forgot to add this to my first part of the post.. but i have heard bad things about i-Vtec compared to Vtec ... is it really worse in performance then Vtec .. this comes up because i know the K20 has a i-Vtec intake

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
HMotors sells K20s. Because you're in Cali, you'll need a US engine to pass smog, so I recommend this one from a 2002-2004 RSX Type S.

i-VTEC is definitely superior to VTEC when in its proper implementation. It sometimes gets a bad rap though, because of cars like the 2002-2005 Civic Si, which only had it on the intake side. Bottom line, get a performance engine (not some lame economy engine like a K20A3) and you'll be happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.