Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been forever since I've been regularly posting here, but I've been lurking the whole time, I promise... (I am a mod after all). :wink:

Anyways, just to give you guys an update of what I've been up to:

1) I'm in my senior year of college! Woohoo!
2) I got into an accident with the DX a couple months ago. Long story short: A Audi S4 with ABS will stop faster than a CRX DX on crappy 13 inch tires. (Yes, I slid into the Audi. No, it wasn't my fault. Yes, I still had to pay for it all. :x )

The damage was worse than it looks in the pics. Heres a pic to show how far back the headlight was pushed:

Anyways, I got the frame straightened at a shop for $200, so its fine now...just doesn't look so pretty... :(

3) The Si is still in pieces. However, it does have the following parts waiting to be put on:
- Freshly rebuilt transmission with an HF 5th gear and an OBX LSD.
- Exedy clutch w/ a 10.9 lb. Exedy flywheel
- Koni Yellows w/ Neuspeed Race springs
- Complete Energy Suspension bushing kit (except for the RTA and FCA bushings which will be replaced by new Honda bushings)

4) My girlfriend and I are making plans to spend a year in California after we both graduate. We've both lived in NC our whole lives, and we're afraid that we won't get the chance to do something like this once we get real jobs and such...
Me and the (sunburnt) girl:

5) And now for something you guys won't like...
I'm gonna be getting a new car once I graduate. I think it'll be time to move on to something more reliable for a daily driver, as the DX has almost 200K. This is going to be my first new car ever, so I've done a crazy amount of research to decide what it will be. After narrowing it down to two cars, the new Civic Si lost out to this:

6) I saved the best for last... :D
I did a 1.5 month long study abroad program in France this summer (key word: "summer").

Lets do some math:
France + Summer = 24 Hours of Lemans
24 Hours of Lemans = Superbowl of Motorsports

It was a dream come true. Lemans is not only an "endurance" for the drivers and the cars, but also for the spectators. The French summer heat didn't help any either. I stayed up the entire time, and I have never been so tired/dirty in my life! If anyone ever goes to the 24 race MAKE SURE YOU PAY THE EXTRA $ FOR A GRANDSTAND SEAT! I didn't, and while it didn't hinder me from seeing any of the race, the lack of a seat meant a lack of a shade, and a place to rest when I was tired of walking around. Regardless, this was the best experience of my life! Here's just a few of the pics I took at the race and the museum:

I got to see THE infamous Lemans winning #55 787B in person. I was starstruck.

The 2006 24 Hours of Lemans winner, the #8 Audi R10:

The pits at night:

The Dunlop Bridge:

The winning Audi, a Murcielago GTR, and a Porsche:

Porsche:

Ferrari:

Corvette:

Aston Martin:

All those closed garage doors are the teams that didn't make it to the end...

One hour left! Everyone is trying to get a spot close to the pits to see the finish...

The moment of truth! The Audi's crossing the finish line side-by-side:

This Porsche was in the lead (in the GT2 class) until it ran into some misfortune with just minutes left. Atleast they finished... :(

The Panoz that stole the lead from the Porsche:

The 2nd place Pescarolo crossing the finish line:

And let the celebrations begin!!

Hope you all enjoyed!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You + Lemans = Yeeeewwwww suuuuuuuuuuuuck! /jealousy

8) Hahaha!

Damn dude, looks like tons of fun right there (well, 'cept for the accident part)... Enjoy that Vee-Dub (In Da House :p )

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just realized that I didn't post any pics of the Si, but I really don't have any recent ones of it all torn apart sooooo...

I'll post an oldie but goodie...(since I'm being such a pic whore anyways :wink: ):

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm sorry to dissappoint yu my friend, but nothing is more reliable than a honda! I'm sure you've heard about the historic german reliability problems...

I liked the past generation GTI as far as styling goes. It was fun to drive. We had one at honda to drive as a comparo when the new si was being designed and tested. However, i think that new body style is a bit of an eyesore. If was going to get a GTI, i'd buy last years model. ANd if i was going to get any veedub I think I'd go for a turbo Corrado!

ANyhow, the Si looks nice, and those LeMans pictures are killer. If you and the girly come out to socal LA/OC area, let me know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MarkWilliamson said:
chet90si said:
...I think it'll be time to move on to something more reliable for a daily driver, as the DX has almost 200K.....
phew..... :rolleyes1:
I know its a Honda. I know it has a lot more left in it. Its just not the type of car you wanna drive cross country from NC to CA in. After all, it does burn about a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

jmart said:
I'm sorry to dissappoint yu my friend, but nothing is more reliable than a honda! I'm sure you've heard about the historic german reliability problems...

I liked the past generation GTI as far as styling goes. It was fun to drive. We had one at honda to drive as a comparo when the new si was being designed and tested. However, i think that new body style is a bit of an eyesore. If was going to get a GTI, i'd buy last years model. ANd if i was going to get any veedub I think I'd go for a turbo Corrado!
I would love a Corrado, but this time around I'm in the market for something newer. Call me soft, but I want a nice/comfy car...and one with no miles. :)

And about the MKIV GTI...don't even get me started. That car didn't deserve to have the "GTI" badge on it. And also, those cars were known to have pretty serious electrical problems, none of which have showed up on the MKVs (as of now).

And how can you not love the clean looks of these?

I'm partial to this color, however:

Charlie said:
woah, crazy.

i just read your myspace bulliten thing... too bad you live in the wrong 'boro!!
Wrong 'boro indeed, but close. We should give those Floridians a run for their money and start a Southeast meet of our own!

Nice pics btw! I want to get into photography so bad, but it seems so expensive... :? All I have right now is my point-and-shoot digital.

·
Registered
952 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
You will love having a new car.

You will absolutely despise having a new car payment an new car insurance rates!
True words from a wise man.

Ive been looking in to a newer VW myself, but dont really like the looks of the GTI. The only real nice thing about them is that there turbo. Ive been looking at the R32 and after test driving it, fell in love with it (dont worry everyone, im not cheating on the CRX, yet.) They are great cars.

Glad you had a great time at Lemans and enjoy Cali when you go. Nice looking Si btw.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Not so on the insurance payments going down, at least nessecarily.

The main thing I hate about the new VWs (and Audis for that matter) is painting the front too look like they have a huge grill. They have a pretty sophisticated styling, but then they just slapped the black paint around the grill.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm with Mark. The CRX is the best car to drive cross country. I've done it three times and found it pretty damn comfortable. I've also done' countless trips between Boston and DC, Boston and Raymond, Ohio (honda r&d ;) ) and Boston and Michigan. My last two girlfriends loved rifing in the car too. Well maybe not loved but... ANyway, my point is that the car was practically meant to do 85-90 mph for 3000 miles straight. I've done marathon 26+ of non-stop driving before. haha.

TO be honest, I don't know much about the GTIs. If you say the MKV is better mechanically, then I bellieve you, but no I can't stand how they look, and I think those pictures you showed are more than flattering. But hey, its new and i understand the need for a cushy ride once and a while. Thats what I have my 64 chevy truck for, but thats another story.

Best of luck with the new car, hope everything goes well!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can completely agree with you guys about CRXs being good cars to drive cross country. I'm just saying... I wouldn't want to take this particular CRX to the other ocean, given its current condition. It just needs to get some things (wheel bearings, clutch, etc.) replaced before it can handle that, and I can only have one project going at a time. :?

The DX is here with me in Greensboro, and I don't have a single place that I can work on it here. My apartment complex won't have it.

The Si is in my brother's driveway in Charlotte, so I only get to work on it when I'm home for breaks and such. Plus...he's been yelling at me to get that car outta his driveway for the past year. :lol:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
rex2nr said:
They have a pretty sophisticated styling, but then they just slapped the black paint around the grill.
X2 - I think the metal insert from the Jetta would look much better. The black insert might be managable if it weren't for the little red highlight... A chrome highlight would have been better.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Awesome pics!

I think the MkV GTI looks brilliant, because of the grill. The red line is subdued and tasteful, imo. It's the same as on an Si, the red hints at the blood-letting nature of the beast. If it was chrome it would be no different from an Accord or Jetta.

·
Registered
734 Posts
rex2nr said:
The main thing I hate about the new VWs (and Audis for that matter) is painting the front too look like they have a huge grill. They have a pretty sophisticated styling, but then they just slapped the black paint around the grill.
That's why I would only get a black one, so that black crap blends in. Doesn't hurt that I love black cars in general, but in this case it actually makes a big difference in overall appearance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.