·
Registered
20,384 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Here's what I've found about importing non-canadian vehicles into the US:

For the DOT: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

If the vehicle is 25 yrs old or more it can be imported.

If under 25 years it must be eligible based on safety standards, or petition.
It either has to be approved for US safety standards byt the manufacturer, or it has to be on a list of eligible non-conforming vehicles found here:

For the EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quikover.htm

If the vehicle is 21 yrs old or more it can be imported without heeding EPA regs.

If under 21 yrs old it must meet EPA standards accordinly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OBD1 Kenobi said:
Here's a helpful link for exporting vehicles from the US:

actually the RIV does not apply to CRX as they are over 15 years old

I been calling non-stop and trying to figure things out...but so far here's what I've gathered

-get ins for the car
-drive down, get the title + registration + detailed bill of sale
-go to DMV and get a temp with the insurance
-drive up to the border
-give us customs title (original + 2 copies), wait 3 days
-after 3 days, take the car to the cdn side, fill out the form1, which acts as a plate until I get it plated ... no RIV or any of that BS
-safety+etest
-plates

much easier then the other method...but still a bit of work

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also just got an email from someone at the RIV when I emailed them...

------------------
Most vehicles over 15 years old (except buses) are exempt from the RIV program and are admissible for importation into Canada provided they are in the same configuration as they left the production line on the date of manufacture. If modifications are completed were made to the vehicle less than 15 years ago, the vehicle may no longer be admissible into Canada. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to a Customs officer.

You will be issued a Form 1 - Vehicle Import Form at CBSA (Canada Border Service Agency) and they will double stamp your Form 1 showing the vehicle is exempt from our program. With the Form 1 stamped twice, you can get the vehicle registered without submitting it to a federal inspection, negating the need for the import fee, a recall letter or SOC label.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.