Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out. You gotta watch all 4 minutes, this guy is just absolutely phenomenal. I'm not a musician but man this vid makes me want to have my bro give me guitar lessons.

·
Registered
159 Posts
im callin Bull on that... I think the kid was "air guitaring" over a track to make it look like he was playing it..

thats my opinion.

However.. somebody, some place, had to play that piece.. and whoever that was, is pretty good.

I just dont think it was that guy.

later

Sneak

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also questioned it in my mind on some of the parts that looked like it required more hand movement but attributed it to the poor quality video. Looked like the sights and sounds were always playing catch-up. But yea, some dude somewhere can seriously lay it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I was buying it, until he did the whammy pull. (a technique which uses a floating bridge to change the pitch of a note. A single action trem allows you to raise the pitch only, a dual action (floyd rose) allows you to raise and lower the pitch). At first I thought it was a stock Fender strat with a single action... he pulls and drops one of the notes there, which would be impossible. Then, at the end of the vid, I saw he does in fact have a floyd rose on there, but he was never holding on to the lever, so, I agree, its BS.

it sounds to me like it was Steve Vai playing on that one. I have a track of him playing a Beethoven song, believe it was the 5th symphony...

ok, I just found this kid has a website... jerryc.tw he has a ton of vids on it, I'll have to check them out later

hmmm, now I'm wondering... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually I'm a really big fan of Jerry, i even have the tabs that he wrote for this song if anyone is intrested, i can email it for you to practice.
oh and that whammy effect you were talking about, that effect can also be accomplished with a string lift. if you watch carefully, he'll lift all the strings that is being played.
it's actuall called "semi harmonic" but then he also mix it with the "natural harmonic" and that's why you hear the whammy bar sound.
oh and alot of those extra sound that you hear and think that his hand movement doesn't seem to catch up, those are actually just ghost notes or tapped harmonic. ( very important, watch his ring and pinky finger, those are the most used fingers to play this song. )

Oh and one last shout out , what's up Hue, I'm your buddy from the Farm... " tip: remember the deer on july 4th, that sihtz was good"

My 1st post.
(wow, even i dont understand some of the things i'm saying..... )

here's a list of all the moves that were used in the song. or atleast what i could get out of it.

tied note
dead note
grace note
ghost note
accentuded note
natural harmonic
artificial harmonic
tapped harmonic
semi harmonic
pitch harmonic
hammer on
pull off
bend
bendRelease
preBend
bendReleaseBend
tremolo bar dip
tremolo bar dive
tremolo bar inverted dip
tremolo bar return
tremolo bar Release down
shift slide
vibrato
wide vibrato
trill
tremolo picking
tapping
slap
pop
fade in
brush up

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rex2nr, a single action tremolo only lowers the pitch not raises. You can bend notes up by bending the neck/truss rod, which is not cool for your guitars intonation but you can do it.

shif7i7down- do you mean semi harmonic or artificial harmonic?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
hmm, the single action on my strat raises it... I think... god its been ages since I've really played.

I need to get my guitar project finished... I just ordered the rest of the hardware today, and I'm going out to a supply house on Friday to get some curly(flame) maple veneer for the top. (see the gallery for pics, I have new ones to add soon too)

·
Registered
5 Posts
akirarex said:
Rex2nr, a single action tremolo only lowers the pitch not raises. You can bend notes up by bending the neck/truss rod, which is not cool for your guitars intonation but you can do it.

shif7i7down- do you mean semi harmonic or artificial harmonic?
it's semi harmonic that is used, but when he plays alot of the fast sounding melody near the higher frets, artifical harmonic is mostly used.
( i still can't do it correctly)

Here's a list of some pretty good description that i ripped of from some guitar website.

1. Natural Harmonic

The natural harmonic consists of playing the string open while you lightly touch it with the left hand (for a right-handed person) above a fret. The left hand finger has to be taken off at the same time that the right hand plays it. 5th, 7th and 12th frets harmonics are very commonly used, while the others are quite difficult to obtain.

2. Artificial Harmonic (+5/+7/+12)

For the artificial harmonic, the left hand finger presses the string like a normal note. It is the forefinger of the right hand that lightly touches the string 5,7 or 12 (octavado) frets higher. The right hand has to play the note too, so it may be difficult.

3. Tapped Harmonic

The tapped harmonic is an artificial harmonic obtained by tapping quickly on the string 12 frets higher.

4. Pitch Harmonic

The pitch harmonic is done with a pick, and consists in playing the string by letting the thumb that holds the pick lightly touch the string. This harmonic is best obtained with distortion effect.

5. Semi Harmonic

The semi harmonic is similar the pitch harmonic, except you keep the natural resonance of the string in addition to the harmonic.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
NICE!!! he still needs a bit of work, but a heckova lot better than I can right now.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My '75 Strat's "whammy bar" would go both higher and lower. It helps if you pull two of the five springs out of the back of the guitar's body, where they "anchor" the floating bridge. Kind of a bitch to get it in tune and keep it in tune, especially with fresh strings on it. Once they stretch out a bit, it'll tune just fine... but then you're playing on stretched out dead strings. :(

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts