Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question on individual throttle bodys, i have a friend that makes them and he said that they work perfect and that there a must for a honda engine but i just what to know what would be the benifits of having individual throttle bodys, and another question why go threw him when i can cut the middle man out does anyone have a write up on how to build these individual throttle bodys or a link that can help me ?

· Registered
215 Posts
It is all about getting air and fuel, in the correct ratio, into the cylinders and the exhaust out. ITBs breath better than a single TB. End of story.

If you are so smart, then you can do it yourself. Tell us how it turns out.

Scott

· Registered
675 Posts
Edit to add: Good lil write up of ITB vs Carbs http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/carb_vs_fi.pdf

racejdm said:
i have a question on individual throttle bodys, i have a friend that makes them and he said that they work perfect and that there a must for a honda engine
I wouldn't go that far. ITB's can be cumbersome to tune. Part throttle is the hardest part to tune, so if it is for a daily driven vehicle make sure your tuner has some experience with them and experience with your engine management system.

racejdm said:
what would be the benifits of having individual throttle bodys?
Instant throttle response and (if it is designed properly) direct and optimal port entry to the chamber. The instant throttle response is one reason why they are not that great for a daily driven vehicle. Not only that, but they really make the most power on an engine hat has higher compression. They allow the cylinder to fill with air easier at higher RPM due to less restriction for the most part, but can also cause the air to be "pushed" back out the cylinder easier as well, therefore a correct cam should be used to optimize the desired lift/duration to keep intake velocity in the correct area of the curve. (I think that was a run-on sentence :rolleyes1: )

racejdm said:
i can cut the middle man out does anyone have a write up on how to build these individual throttle bodys or a link that can help me ?
Some people have used throttle bodies from motorcycles, I don't know of any links to those builds though. I may be purchasing a set from TWM for my K motor (look out Bart :twisted: ) and our shop car is getting a set also. Here is TWM's website http://www.twminduction.com/Home/Home-FR.html

· Registered
529 Posts
A good throttle body, and intake manifold, can make the same power, or more, not to mention be more streetable, and easier to tune. The fastest NA hondas in the world use intake manifolds, and big throttle bodies. If it was me I would keep it simple, the other nice thing is filter ability. I'm not sure if it is possible to fit filters, on a B,D,F,H motor in a CRX. Probably could with a K since it will be sticking out the hood anyway. I refuse to cut my SiR hood so mine will stay under with a IBspec ported intake manifold, and a 70mm BDL Throttle. Jeff from IBspec says he will put his ported manifolds up against any ITB setup.

[/img]

· Registered
675 Posts
Edit, didn't see the second pic :oops:
I was gonna go that route, still waiting until I can get the price figured out...I wish the RBC would fit. I am looking at the ITB's for the K and just seeing it as a form of FI. I can only imagine how much air can be forced into the cylinders as the car is moving. I am gonna have to see if Jeff can work out some way to modify the bottom of the PRC to make an IPS mani knock off.
It just looks sexy

Maybe ComposiMo has an update on his hood for the Haywards...

· Registered
529 Posts
Yeah scotty's crx is sick. Jeff was telling me he can make as much power with the PRC, as the RBC once ported. Thats why I decided this route. Ron sent me some pics of one of the prototypes there is no way it will work with a SiR hood. It is too tall on the long end. So IB is gonna be the choice in the quest to keep my hood free of holes. I have my own ideas on getting the air shoved in. Similar to the IPS setup. For those who don't know what IPS manifold is here is a prototype:

It should be noted that the part that mates to the head is actually part of the Hayward ITBs.

· Registered
675 Posts
CRXBart said:
Yeah scotty's crx is sick. Jeff was telling me he can make as much power with the PRC, as the RBC once ported.
Sweet, he didn't have that info for me yet when I last spoke to him. The original plan was to send my head/throttle body to him and have it all port matched to a ported PRC, maybe get the pistons spec'd and prepped at the same time. I will be doing that first, then trying the ITB's afterwards if I can't hit what I am aiming for :twisted:

· Registered
9,843 Posts
I'm working on ITBs now. I have Yamaha R6 TBs with a custom rubber pipe intake manifold. I still need to figure out the exacts of the TPS, but it registers in the same range as a stock TPS. I can also bolt the throttle lever right onto the R6 throttle shaft.

Last night I bought an oval filter, about 14"long and ~5 deep. I just need to make an airbox for it.

I'm thinking that a thick piece of aluminum will suffice. I just need to cut 4 holes, insert rubber gaskets, and bolt the 2 together to sandwich the filter.

Theres still a bunch of details I need to think through...

· Registered
4 Posts
do you have a picture of the r6 throttel bodies brcause if they are not straight pull carb they will not work for this aplication the new feul injected ones will also work but if they are neither of those then the engine will need to have an extra vacume line becaus the older r6 used a cv carb which was vacume operated and also they need dead air on the intak to work properlay so the air box would nees a hole in it only about 1.5in by 2in and the rest of the box would hve to be compleatly sealed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.