Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
I have seen many paint jobs on interiors and I haven't seen one yet that looked good. Just my opinion. But that aside, take your time with everything and make sure you put on enough paint. May take several passes depending on the color you are wanting to use. I'm guessing a primer would be of good use. Make sure everything is very clean before you start to paint.

· Registered
734 Posts
Please don't. Even if you think it looks good at first (which it doesn't, frankly), some pieces are going to chip and flake or crack eventually, and it's going to look like crap with black showing through. Eventually, you're going to have a mess on your hands and at some point you WILL wish that you never painted it, especially when you're trying to figure out how to get the paint off, painting over it with black, and probably buying some expensive new interior parts.

To answer your question, though, I'd either get a paint that's made for painting interiors (they are advertised in car magazines sometimes) or Krylon Fusion, made to bond to plastics. But make sure that you seriously think about whether you want to ruin your interior or not.

· Registered
711 Posts
ryan_long_01 said:
Please don't. Even if you think it looks good at first (which it doesn't, frankly), some pieces are going to chip and flake or crack eventually, and it's going to look like crap with black showing through. Eventually, you're going to have a mess on your hands and at some point you WILL wish that you never painted it, especially when you're trying to figure out how to get the paint off, painting over it with black, and probably buying some expensive new interior parts.

To answer your question, though, I'd either get a paint that's made for painting interiors (they are advertised in car magazines sometimes) or Krylon Fusion, made to bond to plastics. But make sure that you seriously think about whether you want to ruin your interior or not.
Great advise... maybe you could invest the $ you'd spend on paint, on a good interior cleaner! (armor all?)

· Registered
734 Posts
babyblucrx said:
ouch. does it really turn out that bad. what about just the dash. is it the same with that? I want to make the interior more me, y'know. the stock light-crap-blue has gotten old.
I'm sure it's possible to do a good job, but most of the ones you see end up looking pretty rough a year or so down the road...it's just going to get roughed up and chipped and stuff from normal use.

Are you talking about just trying to convert your blue interior to black? That I could support...but when people paint their interior red or yellow or light blue or something...bleh.

· Registered
953 Posts
Not all painted interiors look bad, case in point,

Not something i would do in my car, but looks nice.

Note, this is on a neon, and is the only good pic taken.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i wanted to go with a blue and white combination.for instance door panels blue, window handle and door latch white. call it ricer but my interior just seems so monotone. but i wouldn't of asked if i wasn't interested in the advice i recieve. so far i'm thinking I may just paint the small things and leave the rest of interior the same.unless someone ccan show me a job well done.

· Registered
711 Posts
I have seen MANY interior painted CRX's... seriously dude none of them that i'd seen looked all that good... to be honest just swapping a blue for black dash would be the best bet... a nice clean dash looks realllly good!

· Registered
953 Posts
so something like this,

All i can say is dont use paint, us a dye. It looks better and will last longer.

· Registered
953 Posts
coldtotouch said:
I have seen MANY interior painted CRX's... seriously dude none of them that i'd seen looked all that good... to be honest just swapping a blue for black dash would be the best bet... a nice clean dash looks realllly good!
But can you do that with the vin on there?

· Registered
711 Posts
Dodo said:
coldtotouch said:
But can you do that with the vin on there?
I'm sure there is a legitimate way to do it... it might involve some paperwork? potentially??? i'm not sure... sorry

· Registered
953 Posts
Im wrong, i know some people that have tried dye and it didnt work to well, i thought it was the other way around.

I found a good site that will tell you how to paint the dash if thats what you end up wanting to do.
http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/printpag ... e_id=60317

Hope this helps.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dodo said:
I found a good site that will tell you how to paint the dash if thats what you end up wanting to do.
http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/printpag ... e_id=60317

Hope this helps.
Hey Thanks. thats a good link. I'm pretty sure i can pull this off and make it look good. might pick up some oddend interior part from a junkyard to practice on. I'll be sure to post pics when i'm finished. thanks everyone

· Administrator
16,557 Posts
I did the painted interior when I was 17. Do I regret it now? Sort of. I wish I hadn't done all the pieces that I did. I also have the blue interior, and I like the way the center console "waterfall" looks in white. I just wish I hadn't painted the side vents, or the door handles... I've also had to repaint once or twice to keep it looking decent.

· Registered
778 Posts
The interiors I have seen in white look the worst. Make sure you really put an even coat on everything and make it look good. Like dude jfro said, you may have to touch it up in the future.

You can always get a CF dash from Composimo 8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.