Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

New to the forum but not to CRXs. This makes the fifth CRX I've owned in my lifetime. I just picked up a minty 1990 Si-R and thought my fellow Rexphiles would appreciate the acquisition.

Like every other CRX I've owned, it needs some work. The seller tells me it is a B16A from the Si-R II and the swap was completed in Japan. The transmission is a Y1 with LSD. A Yakimoto cat-back is present. There are a couple Mugen goodies like the steering wheel, shift knob and the 15" RNR wheels (re-powder coated).

It certainly could use a brake upgrade and I strongly suspect an exhaust leak.

The interior is in VG+ condition. The climate control remains intact. The door panels don't have the seatbelt scars. The seats themselves are in good condition but I'd like to take them out to prevent them from becoming too worn.

Nice to make everyone's acquaintance!

Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle
Car Vehicle Mirror Plant Steering part
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Light
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Vehicle Seat belt Motor vehicle Car Car seat cover
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Why do you think it needs a brake upgrade? Have you had any specific issues?

--DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do you think it needs a brake upgrade? Have you had any specific issues?

--DD
The previous owner told me his next purchase would've been a brake upgrade. I don't disagree. I can tell the brake lines haven't been bled properly because the braking is spongy and the pedal sinks nearly to the floor at rest. Personal preference is also taken into consideration.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
In that case, you should bleed the brakes. Actually, completely flushing them to get new fluid into the system is a good idea. Then see if there are still any problems.

If there are, then fix the problems.

Stock brakes on a CRX are pretty good. Most brake "upgrades" on these cars are a waste of money, IMHO.

--DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After having driven it several more times since my introduction, I can honestly say things aren't that bad with the brakes and I agree they just need to be flushed.

It's awful drafty and not very fun to drive in the cold, wet conditions because the defroster can't keep up with the interior condensation. Worse yet, I can't tell if the heater works because the climate control knob is inaccessible behind the spring-loaded panel that seems jammed in place.

The alternator died on me while I was out one time and that was unpleasant to deal with. Fortunately, the tow truck driver came prepared with 2 x 4's to help my lowered car onto the flat bed. Dude gave me a ride home, too. The previous owner installed MPC drop forks in the front, but I want to go back to stock height because it's so uncomfortable to drive over the many railroad tracks where I live, and the ****ty potholes that never seem to be repaired. Also, being 6' tall doesn't help with getting in/out of the car.

I've bought new moldings for the rear quarter windows, the front door windows, and the roof.

I was also really disappointed that it didn't come with power folding mirrors, but I heard that option only started on the 1991+ models and alas, my Si-R is a 1990. So I bought the folding mirrors, the switch, and the relay to make it all happen.

I was undecided between K-swapping and boosting, but I thought boosting would be less expensive and less time-consuming. So I'm not going to make any performance modifications until I am able to put my plan together. Maybe that's next winter's project ;)

·
Registered
20,172 Posts
It's awful drafty and not very fun to drive in the cold, wet conditions because the defroster can't keep up with the interior condensation. Worse yet, I can't tell if the heater works because the climate control knob is inaccessible behind the spring-loaded panel that seems jammed in place.

I've bought new moldings for the rear quarter windows, the front door windows, and the roof.
The HVAC should have no issues keeping up, you may have a leak that is allowing water in and/or the heat is not actually working.

Skip putting those rear 1/4 moldings on the rear glass, they are not needed and actually look better without them. Plus, you have to remove the glass in order to clip them in.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Skip putting those rear 1/4 moldings on the rear glass, they are not needed and actually look better without them. Plus, you have to remove the glass in order to clip them in.
not to steal this thread but Baker, do you have a picture of a crx without the rear 1/4 window moldings? mine are crap and was thinking of replacing them to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts