Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic CR-X b18c3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! i am new here to the community and car modification in general! i’m a college student studying fashion design and photography. i recently purchased truthfully my first car all on my own. i’ve had several before this under my parents. ‘97 Cavalier > ‘06 nissan altima, ‘14 Civic > 16 Lexus is350 f sport > and now my very own CRX!

i’ve had friends who have always been good at the skill sets needed to modify your own vehicle. skills like welding and in general they just seemed to “know” about cars. they would help me change my oil occasionally and tell me when it felt like my rotors were warped. and i admire and thank them for that immensely. but i always felt like “damn, i should learn how to do that” but it always felt daunting and too far ahead for me to ever catch up.

my three dream cars have always been the porche 964, bmw e30, and the honda crx. if i’m being honest, it was the supra first, but i felt like liking the supra was the “cool” thing to do and i like underground artist that you’ve never heard of, if you catch what i mean. so i went crx, and now, I OWN ONE!

i’ve been up and down these forums and HT and all over the internet researching for what i’m going to do with my little machine. already fixing some issues and have modification parts on the way and all that’s left is getting in there and doing it.

more specifics on the car:
1991 CRX USDM base chassis in white with blue interior
stock everything inside minus the seats. it is in amazingly great shape. all door trim and fittings still attached and functional. no door damage from seatbelt. trunk “lid” still in tact and carpeted. and even the spare tire and jack. all working dash lights and gauges. and even a fully in tact even lights up temperature control unit. the ONLY thing missing is the stock radio. but that’s it! lucky me!
and for the engine:
b18c3 dohc vtec
from what i can see there’s been an AC delete, and a few other things cleaned out of the engine bay. the vtec wasn’t engaging, which i used to drive the price down during negotiations. but i already ordered the appropriate ECU. and i found a guy with a full 91 crx ac system i can take for $450. so i’ll be able to drive in the heat soon!
exterior is as good as a 30 year old car can get. all parts still attached faded trim and chipped paint on some trim parts, tiny bit of body rust on the rear drive side fender. but other then that. it’s just an old car. AMR engineering suspension is on the way. as is a few other suspension pieces. upper control arms and the sort.

anyway. i got carried away. if you read all that, kudos to you. we’re friends now. haha thanks for welcoming me here everyone. i’ll post pictures of my crx on here!
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel
Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle
White Gear shift Car Light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
20,141 Posts
Pretty nice little car with some extra bits added to it.
That b18c3 is a replacement motor from Honda for the Asian market, it's essentially a GSR motor which uses a P72 Ecu.
I also noticed the Personal box and cig lighter, which tells me someone sourced those specifically because they are from a Japanese market car. The personal box I believe was a JDM piece, and the cig lighter and that box are opposite of what you would find in the US market. US market cig lighter would be on the right side, not the left, as yours is.

For not being a "car person" you speak surprisingly better and seem more knowledgeable than most of the Honda fan boys that think they know what they are talking about!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE="For not being a "car person" you speak surprisingly better and seem more knowledgeable than most of the Honda fan boys that think they know what they are talking about!
[/QUOTE]

haha thank you, i appreciate the compliment. i don’t quite yet know my way around an engine and could not be able to tell you the slight difference a new map for the ecu made. but! im eager to learn and love the feeling of accomplishment when i finish even the smallest task or research for this project car. when i was able to explain to someone the difference between the b18 in my crx and the original d series that was probably in there, very proud moment. haha

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
You might want to check out the front/passenger suspension components. The wheel is considerably rearward in the wheel well. Does the car have an aftermarket front crossmember? If so, the radius rod may be set to be too long. Or it's been in an accident.

Also...I see that the engine has been converted to run a coil-on-plug setup. I doubt that a stock ECU is going to properly work with that. Usually a piggy-back ECU setup (like Hondata) is required to operate the COP. (Or at the very least, some sort of "chip" modification to the ECU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to check out the front/passenger suspension components. The wheel is considerably rearward in the wheel well. Does the car have an aftermarket front crossmember? If so, the radius rod may be set to be too long. Or it's been in an accident.

Also...I see that the engine has been converted to run a coil-on-plug setup. I doubt that a stock ECU is going to properly work with that. Usually a piggy-back ECU setup (like Hondata) is required to operate the COP. (Or at the very least, some sort of "chip" modification to the ECU.
i was thinking about that the other day, i have new upper control arms for the front suspension, i was going to wait for the coil overs to get here to redo all of it at once. if it’s still looking weird i’ll have to figure what the problem is because i don’t think it’s got a new crossmember.

as far as the ecu, i ordered a p72 chipped ecu, i sent them a picture of the engine and the vtec solenoid specifically. he mentioned something about having to bypass it? unfortunately this is one of the areas im least knowledgeable about. so i’ve been trying to do my research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like those wheels, too. I believe they came from a 1998-2001 Integra.
i like them too, but they are beeeaaat uuup. chrome chipping everywhere. was thinking of redoing them in a flat white maybe? white out the trim and go for a type r kind of look. but idk. haha

·
Registered
212 Posts
The wiring details need a pro to look it over, not a custom shop but someone who has experience specifically with Honda OBD-0 and OBD-1 wiring and ECUs. maybe someone here on the forum can assist if they are local. Without sharing specifics what general area are you located in? I think getting eyes on it or even a facetime call would go a long way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wiring details need a pro to look it over, not a custom shop but someone who has experience specifically with Honda OBD-0 and OBD-1 wiring and ECUs. maybe someone here on the forum can assist if they are local. Without sharing specifics what general area are you located in? I think getting eyes on it or even a facetime call would go a long way.

im in the kansas city area. and i was afraid that it might be more than just plug and play for the ecu. the electronics and wiring is the thing i’m the least knowledgeable and comfortable on. i worked renovation for a while and swapping out outlets, making new extensions and changing lighting fixtures is about my level of comfort around re wiring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
On the ECU, if you can take photos of your existing ECU (the logo and sticker/label) and also all wiring coming out of it, as well as the wiring from the distributor (red below) to the coil on plugs (COP, green below) we can steer you in the right direction. COP is not available without a daughter circuit board being installed in the ECU typically, so you cannot just swap to another ECU unless that ECU also has a COP daughter board modification.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Automotive design Auto part

Dana (YoungStatic) on Youtube has a good video explaining COP install here:

If I were in your shoes, I would convert back from COP to stock distributor, spark plug wires, and standard spark plugs. Maybe I'm old school but that's my personal preference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the ECU, if you can take photos of your existing ECU (the logo and sticker/label) and also all wiring coming out of it, as well as the wiring from the distributor (red below) to the coil on plugs (COP, green below) we can steer you in the right direction. COP is not available without a daughter circuit board being installed in the ECU typically, so you cannot just swap to another ECU unless that ECU also has a COP daughter board modification.
View attachment 1135
okay! so my “new” ecu showed up today,! the labels on it were just warranty labels but i believe it is just a stock p72. i will double check. but here are the wiring pictures you asked about. if we need some different details let me know. i watched the video you included and it looks like i’m ground in the right place and have the appropriate cables coming out but the under dash ECU wiring is a mess and there’s quite a few clipped wires and stuff. but here it is!
Shoe Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Automotive fuel system Cable
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Gadget Grey
Electrical wiring Electrical supply Cable Wire Technology
Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire Electronic device
Circuit component Finger Audio equipment Electronic engineering Electronic component

1 - 14 of 14 Posts