Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so i have a 1.5 in my car right now that eaither has a bad head problem or bad valveseals or something like that, anyway, its burning too much oil, showing up in the wrong places (intake?) some problems during acceleration, and so on. i also have about 3/4 of another 1.5 from my other car left over.

my question is, would it be reasonable to do some kind of a rebuild or teardown/assembly of the HF motor?

· Registered
20,445 Posts
Its me DUB said:
What do you want from the car? If you're looking to stick with the mpg factor...the future savings in gas would make it worth it to rebuild. If you're looking to get a little more pep out of it though, this would be a good time to upgrade like above mentioned.
Exactly.

Figure out what you want from the car and what you can do/afford.
Rebuild the Hf motor, upgrade to a b series or maybe upgrade to a better d motor.

· Registered
289 Posts
djhankb said:
My vote is on an Si Motor/Tranny or a DOHC ZC.
I couldn't go back to my stock HF motor.

-Henry
Yeah and a stock Si motor in good shape should be able to get you 40mpg highway ... which isn't nearly as good as the HF but it's still pretty good.

· Registered
20,445 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm still planning to put a DOHC Z in there, but even if that does happen, I'll still have two HF motors sitting around...would I be able to ever get it back to the point where it could get around 40-50 MPG again?

· Registered
289 Posts
baker423 said:
I don't know about that, i remember it being discussed here awhile back.
My Si with 215k miles on it consistently gets 36 mpg on MN E10 gasahol (cruising 70-72 mph on US 52 between Cannon Falls and Rochester, MN). Back before all MN gas was E10 I would get 38-40 mpg. My 2001 civic gets 32 hwy on MN gas, and 36-38 on IL non-gasahol (just making the argument that MN gas is watered down).

It's stock other than K&N filter in the stock airbox. 185-60-14 tires on stock rims.

This in spite of the fact I accellerate to cruising velocity in 3rd. :wink:

As they say, YMMV. Don't forget that just about every state has its own rules for gasoline formulation these days so that's another source of variation, the energy content of 1 gallon of gas is not constant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.