Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have this friend... lets call him "Harry". Now, Harrys car is a CRX, and he loves it dearly. The problem, is that it doesn't look so great.. it is all in primer. Each month that goes by, he always is saying that he's going to take it over to Maaco, and get a quickie spray job on it, but he never does.

So one day, Kevin (Iceycrx) and myself were in a parts store buying some stuff for one of his cars, and we spied some paint on the wall... mind you, this isn't the first time this has happened to Harry, so it was an easy discussion to start talking about... haha! So we were joking, about how funny it'd be to paint his car for him instead of him going to Maaco... the catch, is that we get to paint it any color we want :)

Its Rollin Time B!tc#3$$!!!

Just kidding :p

So, we head back to the house, and were joking about this with Harry just to see what his reaction would be to a new color, and he said "hey, whatever".... 2 seconds later, Kevin and I are in the car on the way back to the store to buy the paint :) Kevin wanted to paint it a SUPER bright neon orange... basically we were going to buy a bunch of that 'caution paint', and spray the car with that... lol! But they only had one can of it :( So instead, we bought Chevy Block Orange... yAy! Also, we bought some black.

Granted, this was all for fun, but we did still want it to at least LOOK halfway decent... after all, we were doing this cause we didn't like how the car looked in the first place :p So, about $80 worth of paint and tape later, we get back to the house, and this is where the fun -really- begins.. haha!

We begin taping up Harrys car:

As you can see, it isn't the brightest child in the bunch by far... lol!

We got some taping done, but realized the wind was far too strong to paint decently with a spray can, so we had Harry move his car to the back... everyone say hi to Harry!.... "Hi Harry!"

So at this point, i begin spraying.... now, spraying a car a new color with spray cans is an art form... take patience, and skill... Harry didn't have the skill, Kevin was too busy taking pictures, so it came down to me and Phil... dangit! I don't want to work!

Anyway, we actually did a decent job taping off the car, and decided to paint the hood, roof, and hatch black, and the rest of the car orange...

Then the de-masking begins.. haha!

So anyway, that was that, and the car now has a new color :) It actually came out a lot better than any of us thought it would, but hey, at least it isn't in primer anymore... haha! :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
ya got to check that out sunday..it didn't turn out half bad really. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Dont forget to rub and clear that pimptastic stuff.
Hey it cant hurt.
Nice job guys.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, i take spray-painting friends cars for fun seriously! :p

Bas: Dunno.... i imagine that it would require bracing removal in spots, but i don't think it flops around much... after all, he DID lose his sunroof "while racing a Vette at like 170mph".... of course the sunroof is on the car and doesn't have a scratc h on it, but i believe him :)

8)

baker: LoL... the paint really did come out looking very good... just goes to show how proper application can make a big difference. ;) And no, i'm done spraypainting cars for the time being... hehe.

Jonny: You're next! :twisted:

ollie: Nah, the soundwaves from all the speed will bake the paint, and it won't need any clear. Bugs will vaporize as soon as it hits mach 0.00002

dohcya: But i dunnnt wannnaaaaaaaaaa! :p maybe i'll make a good how-to on proper paint application... it definitely IS trickier than most think... "Harry" found that out the hard way... we had to kick him off of the side he was painting.. hehe.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jaowli said:
So no reply to my questions?
See, you replied and asked that question while i was typing that reply... so no, no answer for you!

hehe... just kidding.

Paint... Rustoleum Engine Block "Heat Resistant" paint (Dyno PROVEN to over 500degree engine bay temps after all... :lol: )

Equipment... uhh... spray can and hand :p

Prepping Materials.... water... and... well, water. Oh, and cloths to dry it. And professional automotive painting masking tape from 4M (no, not 3M... they're too damn expensive! :lol: )

·
Registered
319 Posts
ComposiMo said:
jaowli said:
So no reply to my questions?
See, you replied and asked that question while i was typing that reply... so no, no answer for you!

hehe... just kidding.

Paint... Rustoleum Engine Block "Heat Resistant" paint (Dyno PROVEN to over 500degree engine bay temps after all... :lol: )

Equipment... uhh... spray can and hand :p

Prepping Materials.... water... and... well, water. Oh, and cloths to dry it. And professional automotive painting masking tape from 4M (no, not 3M... they're too damn expensive! :lol: )
Thank you for the information. I need another paint job, as mine is wearing away. It has a lot of chips in it. What do you (or anyone else) recommend on stripping the current paint off my car?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seriously, and all jokes aside... if you want a decent paint job that'll still look decent a couple or few months from now, please do not duplicate what we did to this guys car above... it will end in tears.

·
Registered
319 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Seriously, and all jokes aside... if you want a decent paint job that'll still look decent a couple or few months from now, please do not duplicate what we did to this guys car above... it will end in tears.
I know you're being serious, but I, in turn, am serious about doing this myself. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, if you are serious, and want a good finish, there are a lot of tutorials online, so i don't see a need in writing another... it would seriously take me an hour or two to write out everything.

Your best bet would be to search online for how to's.

Bottom line though, is you'll need a good compressor, a lot of time, and be prepared for a lot of work if you want it to come out good... also, a fairly dust-free environment to paint it in.

You may be better off prepping and doing all the tough work yourself, then trailer it all prepped and ready to a cheap-o paint store, and have them spray it in a booth. Most paint places use decent paint, and the guys spraying actually do know wtf they are doing usually... it is the prep that sucks, and makes those places cheap. If you mask it off, and prep it right, they CAM lay down a good coat of paint, and do it cheaper than it'd cost you to buy a good enough spray gun, an inline air dryer, and enough plastic sheeting to cover your garage.

·
Registered
731 Posts
jaowli said:
I know you're being serious, but I, in turn, am serious about doing this myself. Any suggestions?
Tape carefully. Pay attention to seams of moldings and where it meets the surface to be painted. You don't want to get paint on the moldings obviously.

Hit the car with a coat or two of flat white first. This will make the actual desired color lay down nice and bright. If for example you try to put red on top of black without first laying down white, you're gonna go through alooooot of paint and it wont even be as nice compared to hitting it with white first.

Overspray will get all over everything that's near the car. Keep important items out of the way.

Tape newspaper over the tires too unless you want blotches of paint on them.

Can you tell I've done this before?

p.s. don't forget the clear coat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.