Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I would test it on something. I was told by JB weld that I could use it to repair a motorcycle gas tank I had. After a week of work getting it perfect and painting it, filled it up and the stuff melted like mud. I was pretty mad, haven't used it since for anything serious.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
downest said:
I would test it on something. I was told by JB weld that I could use it to repair a motorcycle gas tank I had. After a week of work getting it perfect and painting it, filled it up and the stuff melted like mud. I was pretty mad, haven't used it since for anything serious.
Weird I've fixed gas tanks with it before. Did you let it sit long enough?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Yes, but I was using it to repair some serious holes. I had some people on my bike forum tell me (afterward of course) that it wouldn't work from their experiences as well.

Anyway I would test it out, you definitely don't want it getting in your brake fluid.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to answer my own question yes it is. If this guy used it for this. I'll be fine.

"Reassemble with fresh seals, usually you can reuse the pistons unless they are deeply pitted. If they are you can often clean the pistons with alcohol or chemicals to clean off the brake fluid residues, then apply a little JB weld epoxy to the pits. Get it as smooth as possible then let it dry overnight. Carefully sand down the excess until you get a smooth surface, then reinstall the pistons and the rest of the parts. Be sure that the master cylinder is clean, especially in the floor of the reservoir where the tiny bleed hole is located. Bleed carefully and go riding again."

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wouldn't trust anything less than perfect factory condition or better, for the lifesaving benefits of having trustworthy brake systems.

No ghetto rigging for me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
SIred91 said:
I wouldn't trust anything less than perfect factory condition or better, for the lifesaving benefits of having trustworthy brake systems.

No ghetto rigging for me.
Agreed. The brake system is one of those things I wouldn't consider patching with epoxy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.