Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure the car is and HF as per the add, no tilt steering wheel, no power steering, no right hand mirror.

But the engine is a 16 v and I think the HF only has a 8 valve so I think there has been an engine swap!

How can I tell what the engine is?

It has a silver (aluminum valve cover) stamped 16v

TIA

Bob

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looking at the block on the left side of the exhaust manifold right against where it meets the transmission it will be stamped what engine it is, D15b6, D15b2, D16a6, or whatever it says.
They could have just changed the valve cover...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I thought the Si and the HF had 16 valve, mpfi motors, and the dx had the dpfi 8v. Or maybe i'm getting mixed up. I don't deal with dx and hf cars much.

Edited: This info is wrong, read below.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
zerocool1014a said:
check the cat on it.. if it is choked up into the exhaust manafold its somewhat likely its the hf engine.. also check your gas mileage there is quite a difference between the hf and the dx
none of them options would be really that a valid way to check the engine.. .

the gas milage of a poorly running hf could be almost nothing.. . .and with my b18 i get great milage. . . possible better than before.. ..

the cat although it is specific to the hf model is part of the exhaust and not the engine and although it would be dumb to do an engine swap and use the hf's crappy manifold... it certianly would be possible and easy since it is already bolted up. . .

like was mentioned above. . . check the code on the block... . d15b2 d16a6 etc. . . . .let us know what the code is.. . . . that is the best way...

that will at least tell you what the bottom end is. . . . the head could have been swapped. . .but there is much gossip of weather the hf pistons have the other 8 valve reliefs to accomidate a dx or si head...
also i hve noticed and i havent been around hondas in a while to check this and know which is which but the plug locations differ in the different d series engines. . .

one has them at the front of the valve cover one at the rear. . . there fore.. . . the covers would no be interchangable. . . with out moving the head over along with it. . .

give us the code. .. . and well let you know. . .

m firends civic hatch had an si engine in it but still had the HF style stock exh manifold on it. . . . . i know that because i put it in there. . . .

Chris

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
all CRX valve covers are interchangable. The plugs were moved on the later civics.

The HF pistons do only have 8 reliefs, whether they would hit a 16 valve head, I have no clue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
rex2nr said:
all CRX valve covers are interchangable. The plugs were moved on the later civics.

The HF pistons do only have 8 reliefs, whether they would hit a 16 valve head, I have no clue.

pictures are always helpful

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Ya Tom, my car was one of those extremely rare sunroofless Si models from 1989...

Besides, I couldn't really see the engine when i was pulling it out. I was moving so fast that my vision was bluurrreedd...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Thats your transmission ID. The engine ID will be stamped into the engine block, a bit to the right of that decal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.