Honda CRX Forum banner

k20a swap pics

28K views 116 replies 31 participants last post by  88_Crx_Dx 
#1 ·
Chassis: 1990 CR-X Si Barbados yellow (y-49)
Engine/Tran: K20a/6spd. from '02 RSX Type-S w/ 33k.

Only pic I have at the moment... this garage kept daily driver from Indiana is a gem more pics coming...

and the swap after i got it home:

excited i begin already to tear off the parts i dont need and will sell...
pwr. str. pump
a/c compressor
stock exh. manifold
stock cat w/ both o2 sensors

more pics as progress continues.............. :p

See less See more
#9 ·
imgoingforit said:
So this is why you're selling the blade silver '88, huh?
-Chris
no, i bought for my ex-gf, she left the car stayed.
I own 3 cr-x, one had to go.

Wasuri said:
K is the new B.
K is the new B and much more!

Ragnaarok said:
isn't it hard to do maintenance to the K, since it's so jammed in the engine bay?
no harder than any other swap.
The only rudimentary differences are eng. rotation and that the pulley side of the engine is now on the pass. side.
The k20 is a nice compact design. I like it so far we'll see how it goes in! :p

#10 ·
Lookin good man! Keep it clean goin in ;)

rexman said:
Ragnaarok said:
]isn't it hard to do maintenance to the K, since it's so jammed in the engine bay?
no harder than any other swap.
The only rudimentary differences are eng. rotation and that the pulley side of the engine is now on the pass. side.
Err... when it comes time for you to change the timing chain (or do anything else that requres the removal of the timing chain cover), or pull the head, or remove the tranny (this depends on how you cut the rear x-member for clearance), come back and post this same sentence ;) LoL!

It all seems more compact until it gets in there... then it thumbs its nose at you, and makes you kick your own booty :lol: :lol:

The biggest thing i like, is that now all the BS stuff is in the front of the engine bay, so now you don't have to lay on the motor while doing sensor diagnostics or wiring checks under the intake manifold.. haha!

#12 ·
That's going to be a hell of a car. My first CRX was a 89 Y-49, so I've always got a soft spot for those cars. Definitely keep us updated and post more pics (swap-related and otherwise) as you get a chance.

#13 ·
Nice build welcome to the K club! LOL! I find it easier to work on for the most part. The K fits nicely in there with plenty of room. The only problems that come up is trying to fit siome parts on. Like it took me forever to find a strut bar to fit, and I had to custom fab a CAI. But as far as gereal maintence that is all easier, except for anything that requires timming chain removal. As that is pretty tight in there. Probally best to pull the engine, which is suprisingly easier to do with a K. No bitch pin, 1 fuel line, 1 wire connector, pull the header, coolant lines, clutch cable, alternator, axles, and intake, and that baby is outa there. You can actually pull it out the top easily too!

#14 ·
haha i seen the close tolerances this morning at work and you guys chimed in before i could edit...

i can't wait, i'm already looking for a used k-series supercharger lol.

i have two swaps going on at once.

1. An 88 CR-X Si Barbados Yellow getting a B18C Spec-R with a LHT intercooled and Ported Jackson Supercharger @10lbs. pump gas terror.

and daily driver:

2. 90 CR-X Si Barbados Yellow getting a K20A Type-S, quaife lsd,dss stage3 axles, cai, dc sports header and (Swain Tech coated), 3" Thermal Research Development catback.

:p

#15 ·
rexman said:
haha i seen the close tolerances this morning at work and you guys chimed in before i could edit...

1. An 88 CR-X Si Barbados Yellow getting a B18C Spec-R with a LHT intercooled and Ported Jackson Supercharger @10lbs. pump gas terror.

and daily driver:

2. 90 CR-X Si Barbados Yellow getting a K20A Type-S, quaife lsd,dss stage3 axles, cai, dc sports header and (Swain Tech coated), 3" Thermal Research Development catback.

It all looks good except for the DC header. Spend the cheddar, and the Sigma Six Racing 4-2-1. Well worth the extra coin.

#16 ·
CRXBart said:
rexman said:

and daily driver:

It all looks good except for the DC header. Spend the cheddar, and the Sigma Six Racing 4-2-1. Well worth the extra coin.
is there a substantial difference in performance?

#17 ·
rexman said:
Oh yeah. Join K20A.org. SSR Headers make power. Others simply fit the car, and mabey make a pony or two. They cost nearly 3 times as much but will make around 10 more hp. My motor made 221whp, 156ft. lbs. BTW I didn't see K pro in that list either? That is a definite must have. I have SSR 4-2-1, Thermal 2.5" but dyno was done with a 3" on another CRX(I'm switching to 3" soon), Custom Fabricated CAI, Hondata Gasket, and K pro, on a K20A type-R. You should be within about 15-20 hp, of that by coping the setup with your A2. Also good luck fitting a jackson in a CRX that hood will never clear.

#24 ·
CRXBart said:
rexman said:
Oh yeah. Join K20A.org. SSR Headers make power. Others simply fit the car, and mabey make a pony or two. They cost nearly 3 times as much but will make around 10 more hp. My motor made 221whp, 156ft. lbs. BTW I didn't see K pro in that list either? That is a definite must have. I have SSR 4-2-1, Thermal 2.5" but dyno was done with a 3" on another CRX(I'm switching to 3" soon), Custom Fabricated CAI, Hondata Gasket, and K pro, on a K20A type-R. You should be within about 15-20 hp, of that by coping the setup with your A2. Also good luck fitting a jackson in a CRX that hood will never clear.
I belong to k20a.org :wink:
hmmm, Who's got SSR's cheapest?
I don't have a kpro b/c i have the immobilizer/ign. cyl.
I'm looking into tuning the ecu now...
The hood will def. be a challenge. I want to pull it off w/o it looking gay.

Azulito,
I was going to boost a d16y8, use my old sohc charger, send the manifold out to LHT and after all that @ 10lbs.... I can make the same power w/ a K20 n/a.

a6 removal from 88:

don't worry there will be plenty of pics, I'm a pic whore.
I have a N11 video and pics I never got around to posting, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.