Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
yea, any k searies can be swaped, just costs a bit more, but if you already have the engine, you should be set, a lot harder than other swaps tho.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I read that the CRV/Element K engines have a different bolt pattern for the tranny that's not compatible with all the other K trannies...I don't know if this is true or not.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Thats odd, I thought alot of the k-series guys started using k24 blocks with the k20 head?

Then again, I only read that somewhere as well...

·
Registered
181 Posts
The TSX had a K24 and might be the source of those engines?...plus who knows what they're putting K24s into in Japan.

*edit* I went back and looked again. June 2006 Honda Tuning says CRV/Element engines use a different transmission "bell" and its not compatible with the Hasport mount kit. But its going into a '95ish Accord, so make your own conclusions.

It also said the newer Accords, 03-05 were another source of K24 engines.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
The CR-V/Element/Accord K24 is rated at 160hp. (166 for 2006 models, which is actually 170 on the older hp scale) And like these guys pointed out it's not quite the bolt in swap that a K20 is. I don't know about the TSX K24. For that level of power I would recommend a K20A3 from a 2002-2005 Civic Si. You still get 160hp, but a bit less torque, and they're much cheaper than K20A2's (RSX Type S) and JDM K20A's (Integra Type R). Plus, they bolt right in with the HASport kit. Well, they will bolt in once you get the mounts welded on. I'd also be willing to bet that a K20A3 is quicker than a CR-V engine, despite the torque loss, because of the better gearing. One more thing, the K24 has a taller block, which presents additional problems with hood clearance. A K20 will fit under an SiR or SiR-style hood, a K24 won't.

Of course all of that is meaningless if you already have a wrecked CR-V or something.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
jfrolang said:
...rated at 160hp. (166 for 2006 models, which is actually 170 on the older hp scale)
what do you mean by "older horsepower scale" ??
:?:

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
SAE changed their rating scheme in August 2004, effective August 2005 for all MY2006 and later new engines.

It's referred to as SAE net (rev 8/04).

It's optional in this new plan to re-test engines that were introduced prior to August 2005 and are still being sold. So, manufacturers with poor sales (namely, american) are completely mum on the subject. Honda and Toyota have voluntarily re-rated all of their cars, that's why you'll see a 2006 Acura TL says it has 258 hp, while a 2005 has 270. The engine doesn't have less power for 2006, it's just rated on a different scale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.