Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the day yesterday, I seem to have lost my keys (the carabiner they were on snapped in half, false economy sucks). I've read on here before that I can give the dealer my VIN and they can cut me a set of keys off of that. I e-mailed my local Honda dealer and they said that I'd have to bring my key in to get a new one cut. Can I get a key from the VIN, or can I change out my locks and ignition cylinder and use new keys, or am I just screwed?

Thank you in advance,

Mark M.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
tubafreak said:
I e-mailed my local Honda dealer and they said that I'd have to bring my key in to get a new one cut. Can I get a key from the VIN, or can I change out my locks and ignition cylinder and use new keys, or am I just screwed?
You DON"T need your key.
Take proof of ownership (title, registration, insurance card) to the dealer and they should be able to cut you a key.

When i had another key made for my Crx.
Went to the dealership , asked to have another key made, showed them my registration and paid my $2.00, that was it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's odd. My dealership needs a few things to cut a key without the original.

The vehicle VIN, the ownership with your name on it and your drivers license prooving it's your car. The cost, about 40$ for 2 keys with the new style honda logo on it, very nice keys. I have done it to my car when I first got it. If your lock has ever been changed by anyone except honda, good luck trying to make a new key. Honda keeps the records of a ignition lock replacement. They don't for other companies.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
ludesrv said:

The vehicle VIN, the ownership with your name on it and your drivers license prooving it's your car. The cost, about 40$ for 2 keys with the new style honda logo on it, very nice keys. I have done it to my car when I first got it.
Yeeesssh! :shock:

Well it sounds like you needed the same things i did, but i got it for $38
cheaper!

I have gotten keys made from the same Honda dealership twice for 2 different cars, total cost = $4.

·
Registered
779 Posts
baker423 said:
ludesrv said:

The vehicle VIN, the ownership with your name on it and your drivers license prooving it's your car. The cost, about 40$ for 2 keys with the new style honda logo on it, very nice keys. I have done it to my car when I first got it.
Yeeesssh! :shock:

Well it sounds like you needed the same things i did, but i got it for $38
cheaper!

I have done gotten keys made from the same Honda dealership twice for 2 different cars, total cost = $4.
Well up here the dealerships are crooks. It's why I try and avoid going there for parts. You think 350$ for a factory rocker panel sounds good? How about a 20$ rocker panel from a CAPA certified company, much better.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I paid 5 bucks for mine last year at the dealership in blackburg, VA...
And my friend has had one made for his HF as well when the mechanic that was working on it lost the key.... :?

·
Registered
779 Posts
stick said:
ludesrv said:
You think 350$ for a factory rocker panel sounds good? How about a 20$ rocker panel from a CAPA certified company, much better.
How's the fitment though?
Actually not bad. Very surprised. The only part that sucks is it doesn't curl inwards at the front of the door like it does on my car, so I gotta cut and weld somewhere along the lines, but since my is almost 100% rotted away it works out a little bit in my favor. Besides, when your redoing a body for the first time on a car you don't really care about other then to make look decent again, they are good enough for me. CAPA certified parts seem to be pretty good. The hood was perfect replica!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I just called the dealership. They said I'd need a title, my liscense, and $5 a key. I'm going tomorrow after work to get some new keys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So now, it's Feb. 2012 and it's still possible to get a key from a dealer. I took my title and driver's license in and requested a key. Didn't know if I have a factory ignition or not, but the cost for the key was only $2.04, so no big deal. It worked! Also worked in both doors. So, I bought another and now have two factory looking (with Honda molded into the black plastic) keys. Parts guys was sorta surprised the info for a key was still available, and that he still had blanks.

Stay friendly with your local dealer if possible. They aren't all evil. I take my Accord in for oil changes when they have specials just to stay on their good side. My last oil change was cheaper than me buying the oil and filter and doing it myself.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I had keys cut last year using the codes. I wanted them cut with the codes because a 20yr old key is probably worn out, making a copy of the the worn out key gets you nowhere. I had my original keys that had the codes on them.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had a key cut for my 91 couple years back, just showed them the title and they cut me a new key for free. Of course I know most of the people that work there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
So you actually have to go into the dealer to have this done? We used to have one right in town but they got shut down years ago because of warranty fraud. I e-mailed them about it because the closest honda dealer is about 3 hours from me and I want to find out before driving all that way or avoid having to drive out there period.
I have a suspicion though they are going to ask me for the original key which I don't have. It doesn't seem like anything ever works in my favor, plus 80-90% of people in this area seem to lack any semblance of intelligence.
Anyway just wanted to get the communities input on it. I know you were saying you need proper identification and proof of ownership, I don't really see any way around having to drive out there. If I do end up getting a new key I'm going to have 10 copies made and place them in strategically planned areas around the house so I will always know where at least one spare key is.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The dealer has books (probably a database nowadays) that allows them to find your key code using your VIN. A locksmith may be able to cut keys with the code, but I don't know if they can find the code with the VIN.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
^ That's why the dealer wants you to show proof of ownership (title, registration, etc) ID and have you sign a paper before they cut them for you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They still haven't gotten back to me yet...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.