Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it gets stuck in the ignition when it's very cold out. i was going to spray some WD40 up in her but i slightly recall reading somewhere that WD40 is not such a good thing to use. will it work, and if not, what will?

thanks

nick

·
Registered
96 Posts
why wd40? the only reason why wd40 woulk be a bad idea is because it'll eventually gum things up faster in there... use graphite powder specifically for key locks. they sell them at hardware and auto stores for cheap..

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ender_ said:
why wd40? the only reason why wd40 woulk be a bad idea is because it'll eventually gum things up faster in there... use graphite powder specifically for key locks. they sell them at hardware and auto stores for cheap..
will do

main reason for WD40 is that i think some moisture is in there and it freezes when it's cold, locking it all up. WD40 would get rid of the moisture

thanks, i'll try the graphite powder

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
jfrolang said:
Unplug the blue box under the driver's seat and see if that helps.
If you do that, you won't be able to shift out of park.
The problem you're having is most likely a dirty shift console switch... A fairly common problem with A/T 'rexes. I think the temperature component of the problem has to do with the thickness of the grease used in the switch.
Anyway, when the shifter switch is set to park, it sends a signal to the interlock control unit (the above blue box) among other things, which disables the ignition interlock circuit. When active (any time you aren't in park), the ignition interlock circuit uses a trigger switch and a solenoid in the ignition lock assembly to block you from switching to the "0" (off) position.
The second function of the interlock control unit is to operate the solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park. If the shifter is in park, the engine has to be at a low enough rpm (really just another off/on signal from the ECU) and the brake pedal pressed, it activates the solenoid which lowers the gate in the shifter. That key hole on the top of the shifter does the same thing as the solenoid.

As I see it, you have two options here:
1) Remove, clean and regrease the shift position switch. It unbolts from the side of the shifter. You can try cleaning it out with q-tips and alcohol while assembled, but if you feel confident with a few small parts, you can take it apart... it's much easier to clean the contacts that way. I think you can get switch contact grease from radioshack.
2) Defeat the safety interlocks. Unplug the blue box under the drivers seat and zip-tie the solenoid on the shifter assembly. You would be disabling safety features, so it would therefore be less safe than option #1. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've struggled with this for years. Always hated that 'key' thing. How stupid. (91 DX A/T.)

Today I removed the Blue box under the seat. Don't mention 'safety' to me!

When I get it rolling again (dizzy timing and updated valve adjustment), I'll respond with the results.

I predict it will still "bog" after warm-up. But at least it will release the KEY!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.