Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the latest thing here at the shop... SIR front end, turbocharged, and it will be receiving a/c to boot...

In case anyone is curious:
-JDM Type-R engine (mods: thicker headgasket, and ARP studs)
-GT35R BB Turbo
-Precision 750hp Core (custom end tanks)
-Custom aluminum piping
-Inline-Pro SS manifold
-Edelbrock 75mm TB

And yes, it did sadden me to have to cut the front bumper for the intercooler..... but man, does it look bad-ass :p

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Yeah...I agree. A GSR engine would have been better, Kind of a waste of a goor C5 motor. But the project looks kickass nevertheless.

I think you did a good job on cutting the bumper. I've seen some godawful hackjobs. But I do suggest finishing it off with some flat black "racing mesh".
God knows it saved my radiator more than once....and I can't imagine denting that gorgeous intercooler.

Damn that thing looks alot like my car....*sigh* I wanna go turbo now anyway. :cry:

·
Registered
633 Posts

That oil pan don't look like it stands a chance, and what's that wire hanging on the pass side?

I'll bet that things fun though :D :)b

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why NOT turbo a Type-R motor? :p

It inhales more air, the cams work better, it has beefier valvetrain, and otherwise, it is just as strong as a GSR.... no downsides. Higher c/r? nah, its got a thicker gasket for that.

The Type-R motor was in there first, all motor... owner wasn't happy, and went supercharged.... still not happy, and doing what he should have done in the first place, and turboing it.. hehe.

Bas: Well, the racing mesh prolly isn't a bad idea... i suggested some sort of covering on the intercooler, but i think it's going to run like this for now. No point in being stealth if the rest of it isn't stealth.

toronto: Well, powdercoating would be too thick, and would reduce the thermal transfer abilities GREATLY.... a light coat of black paint to tint it would work decent though.... but then again, it is a big cooler, and it isn't getting much air, so for performance-sake, having it not painted, and working as good as it can will benefit the car.

shorte: Well also notice that it doesn't have a crossmember down there either yet... lol. Its off the car having a battery tray welded to it. And that cable hanging down is the battery cable. The battery is being relocated to the front right wheelwell... out of the way, and with the weight still in a good spot for FWD ;)

:bounce:

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Now all it needs is a front upper strut bar! :lol:

I loved this car when I was down there. Very well done. It's the car I got my strut bar from. The owner was very cool too.

·
Registered
390 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Why NOT turbo a Type-R motor? :p
The Type-R motor was in there first, all motor... owner wasn't happy, and went supercharged.... still not happy, and doing what he should have done in the first place, and turboing it.. hehe.
Not happy with an all motor c5? ::GULP:: Spoiled punk... LOL. I'd be happy that that motor graced my engine bay, and that I'd be able to hug a c5 whenever I wanted...

·
Registered
10 Posts
hah! i guess i'm thinking along different lines as everyone else. when i read "JDM type-r motor" i immediately thought "sweet! a b16b" -_-; heh. does look good, though. while i prefer all-motor honda engines, it is nice to have boost. i'll bet that thing's gonna boogie. then, the owner can be the boogie man.

peace

·
Registered
257 Posts
hmm did I miss that?? what TB is that? Thats not the mustang one is it?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fisher: LoL.... yea, i'm thinking about making him something custom, but who knows. Either that, or he may not have one at all. Dunno.

BoostX: No, i haven't... i -really- need to get back up there one of these days, but time has been owning me lately :(

dohcya: well, you -could- think like that... lol. But this dude "worked hard for the money" over in Iraq... he can spend it any way he pleases imho. However, at this point, he could have had a K20 Type-R, and maybe been on the way to having IT turbocharged... ah well :p This car is gonna fly though. Dyno Appt on Tuesday i think.

Abraxis: LoL... boogie man... hahahahaha!

Jonny_Black: well ya haven't been over here in for-ev-er... LoL!!! j/k. That TB is the Edelbrock 75mm, with Edelbrocks TB adapter plate. Yes, it is a mustang bolt pattern, but made to be more universal.

SETI: whYea, the whole thing is puuuuuuuurty.... hehe.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
What type of trans is he running on that? type r or a modded YS1?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
joshman: Hey hey hey now..... notice it still has the dryer in the engine bay, and the condensor out front (well, you may not be able to see it... but its there. The downpipe is a/c ready... and he is planning on finishing the a/c stuff soon.... so THERE! :p

hahaha! :lol:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
312whp at roughly 8.5 to 9 psi 8)

The WG spring is a 10lb spring, but it is getting its signal right off the compressor housing before the intercooler. Since the pressure drops a bit across the intercooler, the intake manifold is seeing the lower psi.

Still, not quite bad though... and the cams (ITR) are still at 0.. haven't played with them yet... thats for another day. We had a fun enough time getting all the little bugs worked out on the dyno... lol.

It made 193 at 1.5psi if anyone cares, so its not exactly down on power either when its out of boost, since it'll give you that low of boost pressure pretty much at any time you step on the gas under load (gt35r ball bearing turbo).

Man, i love turbo cars... lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
well that ..just..that just sucks balls man...just..damn. :cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.