Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.LEXANCREATIONS.com

Whats everyone's opinions on these? My sunroof has rusted thru, and i accidently poked a hole in it the other day, so im sure it will be leaking.

I hate to lose the functionality of the sunroof but I cant afford another one. I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds though, since my car is an all track, no luxury car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
honestly,

Great idea but fellthrough on hte design i think. I beleive if the bolts and such were so blatent and the designe was a little more snug. I don't beleive that it would look terrible. it still looks nice. But I don't like it all that much. instead that the sunrooof you have now. Cut out the metal and get a glass one. or custom fit a newer civic motor entry in there for a newer model Sunroof.

I've seen some done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'd be a little concerned about wind noise at highway speeds with that non-flush lexan panel with protruding bolt heads. I'd like to see a dark smoked plexiglass panel that is cnc machined to bolt up to the existing mounting hardware so that it would be flush when it's closed.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Lexan while it's hard to break is incredibly easy to scratch. Because of that it'd make a poor material for a sunroof. In a very short time it'd be a hazy scratched up mess......

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ti Rider said:
Lexan while it's hard to break is incredibly easy to scratch. Because of that it'd make a poor material for a sunroof. In a very short time it'd be a hazy scratched up mess......
Yeah I know. I used build battlebots and lexan was a popular building material for me. Acrylic might be slightly better but then it shatters easily

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
'9445 said:
I'd be a little concerned about wind noise at highway speeds with that non-flush lexan panel with protruding bolt heads. I'd like to see a dark smoked plexiglass panel that is cnc machined to bolt up to the existing mounting hardware so that it would be flush when it's closed.
As soon as I get this drawn up in the CAD software at work..... I have the materials already :p

Don't count on it being available for sale though. A company we order from has a CNC laser cutter, and CNC router. I guess they will cut one out for me for a case of Blue :twisted:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rex2nr said:
'9445 said:
As soon as I get this drawn up in the CAD software at work..... I have the materials already :p

Don't count on it being available for sale though. A company we order from has a CNC laser cutter, and CNC router. I guess they will cut one out for me for a case of Blue :twisted:
Dude, hook me up with a CAD of that!

Theres a water jetting company here run by a friend of mine, who will do it if I'll just shoot the **** with him for an hour.

This guy will cut anything if you just talk to him for a bit, lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there any other way of mounting the rear 1/4 glass without the big nasty looking screws/rivets? I need to replace my passenger side anyways, and wouldn't really mind the weight reduction, I'm just not a big fan on how the screws/rivets look.

·
Registered
20,383 Posts
I just wish there was a "filler" piece available for sunroof replacement.I would love to take out the power sunroof, sell it, save some weight & gain about 3 inches of headroom. Why can't there just be a secure, light, strong filler piece to put in that could be some how locked for security, but removable if i wanted to use the hole in the roof. :D

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Polycarbonate thermoform.

I was thinking about doing something like this using a transparent material a while back. The best I could come up with was to get a sheet of polycarbonate, or another thermoplastic, not too thick (1/4"?), lay it on top of my old metal sunroof panel, and stick them in the oven at critical temperature for a while. The though was to use the old sunroof as a mold to get to proper 3-d contour in the polycarb. Then I'd try to get some rubber weatherstripping from Mcmaster Carr to adapt to the new skin. I think you could prob also make or adapt some brackets to mount the polycarb onto the sunroof moving mechanism.

I'f only I still had an si chassis..... and the time and an oven big enough. I suppose you might be able to use a really powerful heat gun or a torch, but you'd have to be careful not to burn the polycarb and heat it evenly. I supose it could be done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jmart said:
Polycarbonate thermoform.

I was thinking about doing something like this using a transparent material a while back. The best I could come up with was to get a sheet of polycarbonate, or another thermoplastic, not too thick (1/4"?), lay it on top of my old metal sunroof panel, and stick them in the oven at critical temperature for a while. The though was to use the old sunroof as a mold to get to proper 3-d contour in the polycarb. Then I'd try to get some rubber weatherstripping from Mcmaster Carr to adapt to the new skin. I think you could prob also make or adapt some brackets to mount the polycarb onto the sunroof moving mechanism.

I'f only I still had an si chassis..... and the time and an oven big enough. I suppose you might be able to use a really powerful heat gun or a torch, but you'd have to be careful not to burn the polycarb and heat it evenly. I supose it could be done.
Damn, thats not a bad idea.

Gotta love McMaster Carr ;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
HackAbuse said:
www.LEXANCREATIONS.com

I hate to lose the functionality of the sunroof but I cant afford another one. I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds though, since my car is an all track, no luxury car.
You can't afford a sunroof but you can afford one of these at $240? I've seen sunroofs on craigslist routinely for half that price. And on ebay for right around that price. Look around you can find a good deal if you are patient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.