Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had anyexperiance with lexan windows? I know FAL makes them as well as a few other companies. As some of you know I had a busted window in my driver quarter. I was removing the passenger side so install the molding and the damn thing shattered in my hands.

Now I have 2 busted windows and 2 hands with cuts all over them :evil: . I am so ticked. I can not believe how freakin fragile those windows are. I have ordered 1 replacement, but the way its going I'm going to bust that one too. My temper and my hands cant take it again.

Ive read that lexan can or will turn yellow ( some people havent had a problem, some have ). Would tint take care of that? Im not wanting to do this for weight, as the quarter windows dont weigh much anyway. Im just tired of busting glass if you I look at it wrong.

I know that its not legal, but I really dont car at this point. No one will know other than me and you guys...and I know you wouldnt rat me out over something like that :wink:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Hey man...another concern I'd have about the lexan windows is that they scratch really easily. I've seen them on a CRX before, and the window was all hazed with tiny scratches just from 6 months of use.

How exactly were the windows breaking? During removal? It could just be that the windows are old and brittle. What method were you using to cut the windows out?

·
Registered
342 Posts
You might want to check if it is street legal. Also I've also heard what other people do is get a glass replacement shop to change the seal. Thats what I'm going to do when I get ready to get my Rex painted. I don't think it will cost much, atleast not as much as two windows.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont understand what you mean by change the seal. Both of my windows are in thousands of pieces now.

I found some stuff that you put on the lexan to prevent scratches, it dries into a thin film so you can peel it off later and reapply if you need to.

I had to cut the factory seal with a sharp razor knife. The window busted as I was pulling it from the car. And it wasnt glued on anymore :?

·
Registered
50 Posts
As far as I know, replacing windows with lexan is illegal and your car won't pass safety inspection (in case you get in an accident and someone has to break your window to get you out of the car, or something like that).

at least in missouri that's the case =P

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whoa....back from the dead :lol:

i replaced them with glass windows. Im very picky and didnt like the fit of the lexan so i sold them for what i paid for them and was done with it.
I checked and it wont pass inspection but my car always passes inspection :wink: Ive got the hookup on inspection....sshh. Its not that the car isnt safe, but I dont have a tag light so it fails for that reason and i got tired of basically wiring a light from the hatch and taping it to the bumper.
I wish i had a pic of that when i did it...hilarious. A red wiring coming out of the hatch with a light attached to it taped to the bumper....and it passed. You should have seen the look on the inspectors face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts