Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to get info on the site. are they legit? how fast do they ship? anyone ever order from them? i wanna know what i'll get myself into.

cause my carbon fiber sunroof is still not here. it's been "in the works" for four months going on five and i guess it was my fault for trusting in sites like that. i dont want to go through the wait again.

thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My old roommate got one of those from eBay (at least it looks exactly the same) for the '89 Si that I sold him a few years back. He was getting some water in the car, and it turned out to not even be the sunroof, but by then he had tons of holes in the roof and had to stick it out. The thing ended up warping a bit in the sun, so it didn't seal well, and it just didn't look that good, even when it was new...and the warping just made it look downright bad. I wouldn't buy one for $200, in any case. You can buy a piece of lexan (nice and thick, to eliminate the warping issue) and rout it to size, paint a border, drill some holes, and run some screws through it for a lot cheaper than that...there's really not much to the product to justify that kind of price tag -- they aren't curved to fit the contours of the roof or anything like that, they just bend a bit as you fasten them to the car.

I'd say buy a thick piece of Lexan and go from there -- you'll save a lot of cash that way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heat is definitely a problem here..

but i dont have the time or skill to cut lexan though... and im **** out of luck with the carbon fiber guys cause they all seem to be backordered for supplies right now.

if i could, i would just buy an actual sunroof panel, but no one ships to guam (what's with that?!!).

anybody else have suggestions/ recommendations?

·
Registered
734 Posts
ender_ said:
but i dont have the time or skill to cut lexan though... and im [crap] out of luck with the carbon fiber guys cause they all seem to be backordered for supplies right now.
Then find someone or some shop to cut it for you...lexan cuts perfectly with a router and it's just 4 straight edges and 4 rounded corners, nothing anyone should pay $200 for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dude, SETI20, i'd kill for that. how much does it cost? think it'll fit in my USDM Si?

currently im still waiting for my CF plug... it's been months and they're still backordered with materials (i did order from lighterfaster btw, same people on the ebay link). Adam is a cool guy and im not trying to scare anyone from buying a plug from him, but it's been an agonizing wait... especially because i need my daily driver running to get me from two jobs and school.

if the CF plug doesnt pull through by this month, im going with ryan_long's advice. i read you can strengthen the polycarbonate sheet by adding a skeletal frame under it. (again the thought of fabricating this "frame" makes me cringe). it'll still warp under extreme heat, but if done right, wont be noticable to the naked eye.

last choice is tack welding a donor hf/dx roof. :( if i could find a donor car around this part of the world.

thanks for the advice though, i really appreciate all of your input.

·
Registered
734 Posts
ender_ said:
if the CF plug doesnt pull through by this month, im going with ryan_long's advice. i read you can strengthen the polycarbonate sheet by adding a skeletal frame under it. (again the thought of fabricating this "frame" makes me cringe). it'll still warp under extreme heat, but if done right, wont be noticable to the naked eye.
Using the thickest polycarbonate you can still get to conform to the shape of the roof would be the best thing you could probably do to stop warping. I could see a frame fabricated with small square tubing, epoxied to the panel, which would then be painted to hide the frame from outside, as working pretty well also.

I just put a brand new panel and weatherstripping in my old car when I had it painted. It sure was a lot easier :)

So is that guy selling panels on eBay without having them in stock? Or is he selling one on eBay at a higher price while he has a waiting list of paying customers with their panels on backorder? It's pretty much one or the other, and either way, that's a really sh1tty business practice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe getting tinted lexan and applying tinting film on top would make the frame hard to see from the outside. plus, i think it'll save me a lot of sunburns.

as for lighterfaster, yes, they do have a waiting list, and im pretty sure that's him on ebay. i dont know what's up with that... but im taking the risk of waiting for it a bit longer. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so my brother found a sunroof in san diego, and is giving it to me for free. all i have to do is pay for S&H.

the problem is, it looks like this:

i've heard the panel is really hard to fix because it's so thin. do you think this will be fixable or would it be a waste of time?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
It's a waste, honestly. When the panels get that bad, all you have to do is touch them and you get holes because the metal is too thin. I know the CF and glass roof replacements are expensive, but IMHO they are worth it. Right now I have a clean roof, but I can feel bubbles in the paint, when it goes I'm getting glass, I don't want to deal with trying to fix it when it's just going to go bad again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ryan_long_01 said:
You can buy a brand new metal sunroof panel from Honda, you know.
:D, Majestic?

lol. i think i've found my fix then. this whole sunroof thing is just driving me mad! i wonder if anyone's ever been through the same trouble.

·
Registered
734 Posts
ender_ said:
ryan_long_01 said:

lol. i think i've found my fix then. this whole sunroof thing is just driving me mad! i wonder if anyone's ever been through the same trouble.
That's where I ordered mine...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
ender_ said:
ryan_long_01 said:

I'm in holland. Cars rust faster than trees can grow. How often do you think I've replaced a sunroof on a crx?

I replaced mine a few years back with one that was mint when I got it. 2 years later... guess what. So I fugured I could keep this up a few times. Or install a fibreglass one. They were out... so I got the carbon one instead for a little bit more.

Original sunroofs are -alot- more expensive, plus they need paint.
Well...fibreglass ones do aswell ofcourse.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup, $176 from Majestic plus s&h. Of course you have to paint it....... but that sure beats sanding, applying anti-rust, bondoing, sanding, etc.... and then primering and painting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.