Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, theres a guy locally selling his 91 CRX Si, and I was hoping someone could chime in and tell me if its a decent deal.

He says the car has been sitting for a lil while since he lost his license, and because of that needs to sell it. He says he hit a deer a while back and since then did a lot of modifications. He has a body kit on it molded on at the seams, with white paint. He also has the rear side windows fiberglassed over for a solid look. However the side skirts are cracking a lil at the seams... how easy would this be to fix, without having to remove and repaint everything? The hood is also a lil dented up and he said he used the same hood from the wreck, its a lil more forward than it should be but still latches, just isnt even with the front bumper. Other than that the body is nice, paint is good. The fitment of the bodykit only looks soso tho, and it looks like cheap paint was used. Body and interior are in good condition tho. Its the original engine with 120k on it, and it has an intake and exhaust, not sure what brands. It also has an aftermarket headunit, shortthrow shifter, racing pedals, big tach, and a new tranny. Has 17" chrome rims with new low profile tires, sitting on coilovers, which he says the struts are blown. He did make a comment saying there was a turn that he used to be able to go 100 around and now can only go 80, and says its due to the struts being worn out... He does have it extremely low and says the tires rub a tad which I heard as he was pulling back into his driveway, and that it should be lifted a lil. The interior is in good condition no rips in the seats and is good for the year of the car.

He also says that he recently replaced the timing belt and that the timing is a lil off and needs readjusted and is making the car run slower, and that he can smell it running a lil rich sometimes... can I trust him in saying that this is because of the timing or should I be running for the hills? It seems to run well he took me for a ride in it and theres no sputters or spits and it seems to shift well. Engine also looks good n clean under the hood. I also asked him to test the brakes and it seems to stop very well also...

I also want to comment that he said his gas mileage dropped quite a bit after installing the cold air intake... is this normal?

He is asking 2500 and says he doesnt want to go any lower. The imperfections that hes naming do all seem to be minor and wouldnt cost too much to fix. Taking mods and imperfections into consideration, does this seem like an ok deal? It seems a lil high to me... how much should I be offering him? Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
An accident wouldn't pull the hood forward, but it would push the bulkhead back.

Get a carfax report and have a mechanic take a look at it. Also look for rust, esp. at the jackpoints. You need to drive it, too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If the car looks the way you'd want a crx to look then maybe, but if your wanting a more ordinary crx run away from this car.
He also has the rear side windows fiberglassed over for a solid look.
This has me scared, among other things.
The amount of time and money to Undo other peoples projects is usually not worth it to me. I'd rather start with a cleaner slate.
Just my opinions.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I think its way too much. Sounds like a project car with no end.
The molded in side skirts will NEVER stay good because there is vibration and it cracks. It only looks good sitting in the shop when it is first done.
I agree there was major front end damage.
"Timing maybe off a little". How hard is it too do the timing. Takes a sec. That's not all thats wrong with it.
I would consider it for no more than $1000. I have been shopping for a parts car for me and from what you are saying, that is the price range I am seeing.
In my opinion, it will cost you A LOT to get the car in shape, if ever.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Extensive body kit problems, big pain for you. May look decent now, just wait several months and thousands of miles.

Engine is nice with only 120k, but what is the condition. With the problems stated and the fact that the previous owner is an idiot, claiming the performance of the car by how fast he can take one turn, sounds like the thing has probably been beat on.

The guy wants the 2500 to recover some money from his mods, which are usually worth a fraction of what you pay to get them on the car. He says the shocks are blown, right there you have a big issue of cost for you.

I say avoid this one altogether, but if you have your heart set on it (body kit :rolleyes1: ) offer way less because you have to tend to the body, the engine, the suspension, and who knows what else will pop up.

Good luck on your rex search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol... yea I dont necessarily like the covered windows, but its liveable.

I do like the way the car looks, Im not really looking for anything super clean, just something decent to beat around in. Lets assume for a second that it is just the timing that is wrong with the engine... I just wanted to know if the smell from the exhaust and a lil loss in power would be caused by a difference in timing. But assuming thats the only thing wrong with the engine, would that price be worth it? Some of you seem to be saying it is if I like the way the car looks, others are saying its too high of a price...

Also, I want to note that I believe the engine to be in good running order, it at least seemed to run well and smooth when I was in it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do want to note that I am actually looking for a modded crx... preferably heavily modded actually. I had planned on modding it anyway, and since it is so much cheaper to buy one with mods already done, then id rather go that route. Its just making sure its all quality mods that were done well and that everything works good...thats where the challenge lies.

Im looking for something decently fast... preferably an engine swap that is torbo'd, suspension mods, and body kit. The interior id prefer to do myself, but would take something already done up. I dont want to have to mod myself more than I have to...

Only reason I was considering going with this one locally is just for the ease of sale, I could take him the cash and ride on out with it. But my point is I dont necessarily need a clean slate, I just want something tastefully modded with a decent looking body kit and a powerful engine. Id pay the worth of a car such as that...as long as I knew it was well taken care of and was done right. If anyone knows of such a car by all means, let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one more thing... I am not looking for the baddest mamma jamma on the block, I would be content with one with just a plain engine swap to anything more powerful than the stock 1.6, some suspension mods, and a body kit. I say this because price will be a factor, meaning if I can get a nice crx with just those things for cheap, Id go for it. The things I mentioned in the top post might bring the price a lil high... weight will be an issue cus I am big on a good handling car and I also plan on using this car as a sound system vehicle... im big into car audio and love the fact that its a hatch...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya, theres a chance I can get him down a lil, but even so...

if I can get him down to 2200, would that be decent? Im gonna try n get some pics taken and post em, can you post pics on this forum? then maybe someone can give me a real educated opinion.

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
the b man said:
I do want to note that I am actually looking for a modded crx... preferably heavily modded actually. I had planned on modding it anyway, and since it is so much cheaper!
On the flip side, you don't want someone else's hacked up "project" either. it is a bigger pain in the ass figuring out somebody elses work.
9x out of 10 this is the situation. A modded car, someone needs to sell because of certain circumstances, etc.

the b man said:
as long as I knew it was well taken care of and was done right.
By the sounds of it, this car does not meet either standard.
$2500 for this car sounds too high and i would avoid it completely.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I think the community has spoken: the majority advise to avoid this car.

Proceed at your own risk, but hey, we'll be here when you have problems and help you out! (yeah I said when, not if) :p

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you do decide to go for it, get someone to thoroughly check out the engine and the body for rust--like as not, this car has problems that the owner is keeping mum about, and others that he doesn't know about at all.

·
Registered
20,384 Posts
daoshao said:
Trust me when i say you do not want someone elses headache.
I hear that!

You don't want to end up paying for someone elses project/hack job/headache.

By the sounds of it, it sounds like a hack job.
Also, by the sounds of it, you have little expericence with Crx's and cars in general, and for that reason alone, i would stay away from this car.

Holding out and trying to find a cleaner, unmodified Crx may be your best bet. That way, if you choose to mod it, you can learn about modding it yourself and know exactly what was done to the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.