Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a b18a with LS tranny. I'm thinking of putting a b16 tranny.

Will the clutch from the LS fit the B16 tranny?

Which tranny should i get? Y1 or J1?

thanks

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
When gears are referred to as taller, it means numerically lower. Shorter gears (higher numbers) will improve acceleration at the expense of top speed. If your 5th gear is too short for example, you could be running 4000rpm at 70mph, and nobody wants that. Taller gears allow higher top speed and lower cruising RPMs at the cost of acceleration.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
jfrolang said:
When gears are referred to as taller, it means numerically lower. Shorter gears (higher numbers) will improve acceleration at the expense of top speed. If your 5th gear is too short for example, you could be running 4000rpm at 70mph, and nobody wants that. Taller gears allow higher top speed and lower cruising RPMs at the cost of acceleration.
That is EXACTlY what you get with a YS1 tranny, 4000 rpm at 70mph!
I know, I have one, but since my engine redlines at 9000 rpm's(or more) who cares.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Yeah I looked that up when I knew I had a YS1 ready to go in my car. I don't really want that, but the acceleration will make it worth it. I don't even care about the sound or anything, but the fuel economy of it. I guess I could do an LS 5th in the future. What kind of highway mileage do you get now Rich?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
i dont think its really that big a deal. I had my b16 with the Y1 tranny and 2 trips to Niagara got me close to 30mpg running 80mph @over 4500rpm.

I dont think your hurting the engine to run at the higher rpm, as long as you have oil and its not overheating there shouldnt be a problem. Now with my h22 + y1 i get 27mpg pretty consistant with a mix of highway/city.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.