Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My master cylinder feels like it has a seal that has been going for a while now and is slowly getting worse. I've rebuilt old chevy MCs before and was hoping that I could do the same with the CRX MC. I looked at parts at majestic and they only stock one seal for the rod and I'm not sure thats a vital seal. otherwise their master cylinders are selling for 150. Seems a bit steep, but if i have to bite the bullet i have to bite the bullet.

So has anyone rebuilt one of these before? Suggestions? Options?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I overcame my laziness and found a master cylinder rebuild kit on the NAPA website for 40 bucks. Thats a $100 savings. It claims the parts meet or exceed OEM standards.
Does anyone have any reason why I should go with a new MC rather than rebuilding the one I have?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
You can get a reman one at Autozone or something (OEM Nissin) for less than 100. I did that, and got a 15/16" one in my old car. May as well upgrade if you're taking it out anyway. Look in the HOW-TO section, I did a write up on the 88 Prelude one, and someone else did one for the Civic EX one. The Prelude MC requires a slight bending of one of the lines, and I believe the Civic EX MC bolts right up. It's not going to make your brakes a lot better, but it will definitely improve pedal feel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have rebuilt one for a friend using the NAPA kit
you refered to..All went well...Works just fine.

One thing I do remember is that the manual advises
not to hone the master cylinder bore..

Of course I read that after I already had lightly honed it.. :rolleyes1:
It still worked without any problems...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll probably rebuild it myself because I don't trust other people at some reman place to do as good of a job. Especially with something as crutial as brakes. Like, wouldn't you want to pack your own parachute??? Hahaha

·
Registered
56 Posts
jmart said:
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll probably rebuild it myself because I don't trust other people at some reman place to do as good of a job. Especially with something as crutial as brakes. Like, wouldn't you want to pack your own parachute??? Hahaha
Actually no. I'd rather have an 'expert' pack my chute as I've never done it!

I'm going to just buy one but i'm wondering what year civic EX should I get it from?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.