Honda CRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alright, so my swap has been done for some time, major draw back was my passenger side lower control arm. The lower locking nut (with the pin, I think its called a cotter pin?) would not go onto the bolt at all. So I had issues with that for 2-3 days! With luck & little/less effort, woke up & I finally got it in. So I started putting my ride back together today. I'll post pics when I get the time :mrgreen:

·
Registered
305 Posts
MexiChriS said:
Alright, so my swap has been done for some time, major draw back was my passenger side lower control arm. The lower locking nut (with the pin, I think its called a cotter pin?) would not go onto the bolt at all. So I had issues with that for 2-3 days! With luck & little/less effort, woke up & I finally got it in. So I started putting my ride back together today. I'll post pics when I get the time :mrgreen:
castle nut yea that bastard was bitch glad u got it in bro where the pic's

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
November 7, 2010 ZC SOHC Finally Swapped
I had Jose (GreaseMonkey89) come over to try and help me swap the engine in. Didn't workout without an engine crane. So we called it a night and I'm thankful as he came out from Lancaster to Bakersfield just to give me a hand. Great guy with a lot of love for his CRX!!
Anyways since that didn't workout. Took a few days till what you see here is what I used to swap the engine in myself. Total of 3-4hrs hunched over trying to get everything in place to bolt down. This is how I do all my swaps now, dedication...

November 9, 2010 Minor Work
Was getting dirty, messing with my suspension piecing together everything and still had to deal with tucking the headlight wiring to the fenders.

November 12, 2010 Moogs CRX Accident
Picture says it all. This mans CRX was totaled. Sad to see... Hes he guy that helped me get my '88 CRX Si.

November 16, 2010 Battery Relocation Setup
Wiring wise, not the best setup to go with, as it came from a subwoofer kit that I ordered from Amazon. Then again a 4g wire setup was what I was aiming for and at the cost I couldn't refuse. Then I got a ANL fuse holder and 250AMP ANL fuse from Amazon. Reused my battery terminals since they were still mint. Hope this helps someone if they're curious at what to do/get for battery relocation to the trunk.

91rexdx said:
are you going to change the muffler? if so i wanna buy yours lol.
Sorry man, keeping my muffler, I love it... I am actually trying to figure out some way to get ahold of a Skunk2 setup but with the dual tips welded on them. Just don't know which company to go with that has dual tip stainless steel. Sucks Skunk2 doesn't make it like the stock Si

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
MexiChriS said:
91rexdx said:
Sorry man, keeping my muffler, I love it... I am actually trying to figure out some way to get ahold of a Skunk2 setup but with the dual tips welded on them. Just don't know which company to go with that has dual tip stainless steel. Sucks Skunk2 doesn't make it like the stock Si
how about hks?

·
Registered
305 Posts
MexiChriS said:
91rexdx said:
all that **** is bling try a muffler shop and get dual tips dude and a new muffler like es tuning,vibrant or magnaflow

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ScottMog said:
how about hks?
If I remember correctly, aren't the HKS dual tips not stainless steel? Tried checking out that different exhaust/muffler post on here but all the photos are down now :(

greasemonky89 said:
all that **** is bling try a muffler shop and get dual tips dude and a new muffler like es tuning,vibrant or magnaflow
I don't remember any of those being dual tips or stainless steel.... on another note, i'm going for top quality + reliability + performance i cant trust, i am on a budget but no way in hell will anyone ever see me steep low on products for my car + ones i'm uncertain or never felt/known/seen in person... i find & see it with skunk2 having what i need as i trust 'em & just about my whole mod list will consist a lot from them in the long run. that just goes to show cause of their products is top notch, in my opinion.

·
Registered
305 Posts
MexiChriS said:
ScottMog said:
MexiChriS said:
91rexdx said:
how about hks?
If I remember correctly, aren't the HKS dual tips not stainless steel? Tried checking out that different exhaust/muffler post on here but all the photos are down now :(

greasemonky89 said:
MexiChriS said:
91rexdx said:
all that [crud] is bling try a muffler shop and get dual tips dude and a new muffler like es tuning,vibrant or magnaflow
I don't remember any of those being dual tips or stainless steel.... on another note, i'm going for top quality + reliability + performance i cant trust, i am on a budget but no way in hell will anyone ever see me steep low on products for my car + ones i'm uncertain or never felt/known/seen in person... i find & see it with skunk2 having what i need as i trust 'em & just about my whole mod list will consist a lot from them in the long run. that just goes to show cause of their products is top notch, in my opinion.
having a custom exhaust is not steeping low dude you have a lot to learn if you think everything skunk2 is great lol. i will admit hks is a freaking nice set-up but too spend 400+ just so people would envy you is retarded in my book( not saying you are just talking out loud). magnaflow,vibrant and es tuning is stainless steel dude and you get dual tips done at the shop. i mean its you car im not here to tell you what to do in the end its your choice. catback set-ups are all nice and all but when you take the plunge like i did on a invidia back when they were 400+ mine was 456 plus shipping you'll see what im talking about. if you think a hks or whatever jdm deal catback set-up gives you more power than a custom then your sadly mistaken. you ever seen inside of a skunk2 IM i mean some of there stuff is good but if you call skunk to quality you haven't seen much dude. i like there pro c coil overs which is about it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Some insight for my absence. Then followed with missing updates.

:cry: BAD NEWS :cry:
CRX got impounded. Due to NO registration / tags expired + no proof of insurance (suspended vehicle basically) + driving without a CA license... Major mishap and stupidity on my end. My build took a major downfall. Slowly getting back uphill by selling parts, doing countless random jobs, and several wire tucks.

I used all my "moving money" to get my CRX from the impound. Got lucky with that officer that got my CRX impounded. Let me go with a warning for driving without a license. That really saved me... ANYWAYS less babbling, here's the missing updates from the past months.

December 10, 2010 CRX Funds
Started running low on money I had from my Kirby vacuums job. Had to start parting out my D16a6 engine. So 1st thing to sell was my intake manifold.

Then after removing everything else for future sales I ended up relaxing in my car

December 11, 2010 Rally 5 Panel Wink Mirror
This thing does wonders when driving. Especially if your rear windows are tinted or I'm sure if you have that Summit rear hatch visor, it'll def come in handy! For those that don't know you can pick one of these up at Pep Boys for $20 or order online at Amazon for around $25 shipped.

December 17, 2010 ZC SOHC Intake FITV + Wire tuck
Had an issue trying to figure out exactly how to setup my harness with this FITV. As '88 CRX don't have them, I believe they changed them by adding them onto 90-91 but could also be on '89 models as well. Anyways, this was my stupid issue, lame...

Finally finished up tucking away the passenger wire harness to the fender. One day I'll go back and route it inside the fender hole. Maybe when I convert it to right hand drive...

December 18, 2010 More Random Issues
Finally figured out the issue to my front bumper alignment issue along with my headlights. Front bumper core support is bent in on the passenger side. This must be due to an accident of some sort? Most likely. Anyways, passenger side bumper has damage and alignment issues due to this, which is still visible to this day.

Then again with another intake setup issue on my ZC SOHC. Didn't know how to route the hoses due to minor different setup on ZC intake manifold. That problem was solved due to random hours hunting online and then just test capping off certain hoses when I actually start the engine for the 1st time... Just wanted to share!

December 21, 2010 Wiper Motor Wire Tuck
As you can see the wires hanging in the pics off my wink mirror. This is how I know which wire goes where. Before cutting a wire, for each wire I tape on 2 tapes with a good amount of space from them. I mark them with a number and then wire cut. After thats done, I strip one at the end to prep for a quick solder on...
Now I did this to tuck my wiper motor. Ended up leaving it in the same place just extending it into the cabin to plug in. I'll be redoing it sometime soon. Routing the plug/wire off the wiper motor into the side of the fender well. Then back into the cabin. Sometime this year of 2012 for a cleaner look while maintaining the wiper motor.

December 22, 2010 Honda OEM Part
Went to go pickup a speedo cable clip to hold mine in place. Ended up getting the wrong part as I got the gear clip instead.

December 23, 2010 Engine Bay Wire Tuck Complete
Cleaned the engine bay and snapped pics of the finished product.
Yea I kept the AC intact. Still not even using it or have it running...

January 20, 2011 Headlight and Bumper Alignment Adjustment
If you've followed along. You'd know I have a front bumper support issue being as its bent inwards on the passenger side. So since the bumper was off for the swap. Decided to adjust what I could as best as possible when reinstalling. If you scroll back up I'm sure you'll see a horrendous before pic.

January 25, 2011 Sold '88 CRX Si transmission
My friend Bobo in StreetKidz came by to pickup the Si transmission. I believe I had let it go for like $140 +he made some profit as well... Kinda wish I held onto it. What was left of the stock D16a6 left was this alternator; which will have come in handy later down the line!

January 30, 2011 JHPUSA: Odyssey PC680 Battery
I gotta admit I had no battery to run/start my car. Had sold the new 'used' one I got for like $15 to some kid +his pops that needed it for their Civic hatchback build... Was dead broke. Luckily I had a caring moms that didn't want me to have a regular battery that leaks fumes, so she helped out on the build for once, ended up going with Odyssey PC680 from JHPUSA as they had a great deal going on!

February 9, 2011 Not So Smart Idea
Decided hey I don't want my PCSV markings to fade away. So I tapped them up with clear tape. Which actually makes it easier to fade away. As clear tape comes off easily or when removed, it peels of the markings...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Pics are uploaded & just need to arrange + post 'em. Delay due to this killer 16hr headache...

MORE BAD NEWS
upon seeing my car & working on it yesterday, I sold my '88 axles & got 'new' used axles from a 1988 CRX Si (same model/year as mine). Here's the issue, the axle on passenger side will NOT slide/fit into the tranny at all, it seems like the CV joint spline is to big to fit into the tranny; maybe by like 1mm. I think they refer to that part as the inboard, not sure? Anyways, because of this the axle only goes so far as leaving a half an inch gap from going into the tranny, it just won't go in any further... Tried for 4hrs and got nowhere, because it literally seems like its 1mm to big to fit in. Bummed out

Not sure whats the deal as both the ZC SOHC engine & D16a6 Si tranny came off Dmlemus 1989 CRX Si. Only difference between his and mine are that I'm using '88 axles on this setup; not sure what he used to be honest, but I'm sure Dmlemus used '89... With that said, I still don't think it matters what year axles I use, but I'm starting to think it does??? IF anyone knows what could be wrong or has any inputs, please fill me in, my ride is out of commission again :cry:
1) Don't ALL axles 88-91 fit into D16a6 Si transmission?
2) Any difference in spline size of '88 axles CV Joint that goes into the tranny, compared to 89-91?
"Si, DX, LX and EX all have 26 splines. The HF and STD have 23 splines. This is on the outer joint. The inner joints are the same." has me lost as then it should fit...
3) Maybe I could find/buy another CV Joint and put it onto my '88 axle, if so, any recommendations?

beto323 said:
MexiChriS said:
I gotta make it to an important mission/service to Lancaster, CA on Friday ...My moms passed away :cry:
I thought your mom had passed?
I've got two moms man... So yea

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know for a fact DMlemus used 89 axles on this motor because his car is an 89. I am not to sure about axles being different in length with dseries motors. I know they change when you are using a B series motor. just a suggestion but is it caught (snagged) on the forks? Try getting it all freed up on the tire side of the axle, kinda MAKE it fit lol. See what happens.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
ScottMog said:
Chris I just put those axles on a 88 automatic tranny. I still have another extra axle that may or may not fit. You still live way that crap in the middle of no where?
Now thats really good to know. I think I might be interested in that as the ones I got aren't working at all.

dmlemus said:
yup, 89 crx si axles for a D16A6 motor.
Thanks for the response, was hoping you'd fill me in, still don't get or see how '88 differ from '89 axles though... :?:

JesSi00 said:
I know for a fact DMlemus used 89 axles on this motor because his car is an 89. I am not to sure about axles being different in length with dseries motors. I know they change when you are using a B series motor. just a suggestion but is it caught (snagged) on the forks? Try getting it all freed up on the tire side of the axle, kinda MAKE it fit lol. See what happens.
Yea I knew it. Still I don't get or see the difference between '88 & '89 axles. Only thing that should matter with spline issues is the whole clutch & flywheel match up to the year of transmission NOT the whole match up of either '88 or '89-'91 axles. They SHOULD WORK!! But don't & I'm trying to stay everything '88. Although I'm really close to changing few of my suspension setups to be at ease with '89-'91 parts floating around, for like suspension & coilovers. I believe that requires rear setup to be changed & also to possibly fix this axle issue with an '89 part... I had figured the same thing, that axles change when using B series motors, but not so sure/much on D series as I'm hearing people swap parts around like nothing from like EG's & EF models retaining to D series parts, motors, tranny.

OH and it's def not caught in anyway, forks isn't an issue. Its COMPLETELY free & clear to install, but just won't budge in... When I go back to mess with it I'm gonna put jack stands in the front maybe or on both sides near their safe jack stand spots... I heard/read getting it level off the ground might make it easier + the whole wood & hammer/mallet thing to pop it in, but like I said it definitely seems to be 1mm to big to fit in the hole of the tranny. Idk if it'll work but gonna try again soon leveled off the ground & with wood + hammer

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Im not 100% on this.

I know there is a difference on the 88 trannys fly wheels becuase of the teeth amount right? But the freaking axel should be the exact same...

I had trouble with one of the axels too, the.... i think the passenger side one. But I was able to pull the knuckle out a little bit and turn the axel a bit then push in again and it popped in. Been driving on lemus's axels for almost a week now. no problem.

Just blew a freaking radiator hose on the freeway today lol. fixing it in a sec. doing both hoses and flushing the rad for the hell of it. Got some new metal band things too.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
MexiChriS said:
dmlemus said:
yup, 89 crx si axles for a D16A6 motor.
Thanks for the response, was hoping you'd fill me in, still don't get or see how '88 differ from '89 axles though... :?:
I bought an 88 crx si a few days ago and I replaced the axles today and they fit perfectly with no installing issues.
You should install the axle to the trans first and make sure it slides right in within the grooves. It is mostly based on feel, mess with it until it slides into place. Or is it that is just not reaching to the trans? And are you sure you have the right axles?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
dmlemus said:
I bought an 88 crx si a few days ago and I replaced the axles today and they fit perfectly with no installing issues.
You should install the axle to the trans first and make sure it slides right in within the grooves. It is mostly based on feel, mess with it until it slides into place. Or is it that is just not reaching to the trans? And are you sure you have the right axles?
All axles should be the same, besides HF; i should really go reread and make sure before stating that, but I spent 4hrs reading countless CRX info and going to online stores for axles to check the inner & outer spline count... So right or wrong axles, should fit in, but I do got the correct axles off a '88 CRX Si.
Idk what was the issue with the axle other than it wanted to be a PITA

ScottMog said:
Im not 100% on this.

I know there is a difference on the 88 trannys fly wheels becuase of the teeth amount right? But the freaking axel should be the exact same...

I had trouble with one of the axels too, the.... i think the passenger side one. But I was able to pull the knuckle out a little bit and turn the axel a bit then push in again and it popped in. Been driving on lemus's axels for almost a week now. no problem.

Just blew a freaking radiator hose on the freeway today lol. fixing it in a sec. doing both hoses and flushing the rad for the hell of it. Got some new metal band things too.
YUP that seems about correct!! Only thing that differs are HF axles, if I researched correctly... Cause I know 88-91 inner splines are 25 and outer are 26 not so sure if the same on HF model though... Dang, I had the same issue with my radiator awhile back. Lower rad hose was split, coolant spilled everywhere, didn't flush my system though. I'm thinking in a month once this car is up and running properly I'll flush it... Well I ran into another issue besides the axle, get to that in a bit after the good news....

GOOD NEWS axle is in the tranny! Idk why, but I guess the passenger side axle just wanted to be a PITA. The axle inner splines weren't damaged at all & neither were the splines in the tranny or the clip on the axle being loose/gone; so nothing was wrong or damaged at all.
Luckily my friend had the day off & took me to fix my ride. I lifted & leveled the front end entirely + used the wood/hammer trick to pop in the axle. Seems to be stuck in good from popping out or pulling on it. So I think I got... Don't really know so I took pics, you guys be the judge & let me know, but it def seems a lot better than before :)b

BAD NEWS, ONCE AGAIN! :doh: my car won't start, so I couldn't take my ride for a test drive if the axle is in & catching gears, it just won't crank over :frusty: Basically I'm sure everything in the engine bay is good, besides coolant being low & possibly low on gas...

I'm thinking I got a Fuel Pump and Main Relay issue. These two things were my 1st concern & issue when I had my stock D16a6 engine... Now as I got an entire engine swap, everything is like basically 'brand new' in the engine bay, so I'm thinking its the fuel pump & main relay as I never changed them. As I'm positive Dmlemus ride was perfectly running... So If anyone gots any tips on what to check to crank over my ride, please fill me in

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.