Honda CRX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
ScottMog said:
lol you have so much bad luck dude
LMAO remember I told you about that? Idk what's the deal, but I know I hav this Honda curse where everything goes wrong & for having 777 on my ride I'm still not so lucky

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
pull the main relay out and open the "cap" make sure there are no cracks.

honestly for all of my crxs i always buy a walbro pump (90-100 bucks) and a main relay (50 bucks on ebay) right when i buy the car. I hate being stranded.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
ScottMog said:
pull the main relay out and open the "cap" make sure there are no cracks.

honestly for all of my crxs i always buy a walbro pump (90-100 bucks) and a main relay (50 bucks on ebay) right when i buy the car. I hate being stranded.
Thinking about doing that to resolder what seems to be burnt or cracked. Although only reason I've never done it is because I'm not so sure if I'll be good at resoldering on an electronic board... I am good at soldering wires but this just seems different

I always hear "buy a walbro fuel pump kit." Was my plan when I bought my Rex but $$ was always an issue. At this point if my axle issue is really fixed, I'm gonna buy a Walbro fuel pump kit & possibly a new main relay (if I mess mine up) from Inline Four or JHPUSA

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Picked up my Main Relay as I was heading out to Fresno. Literally a bitch to get out as the bolt holding it in place was stuck; took 5min though, compared to other times that I could never get out. Which is why I never bothered to fix it, seemed impossible to remove. Now mine seems burnt & kinda fucked up :shock: I think... :lol:

If anyone has some remarks on what to do on mine or what you think. Please let me know :biggrin:

ALSO I'll be ordering my Walbro 255LPH HP Fuel Pump from JHPUSA tomorrow, hopefully as its in my price range. Thinking about the combo kit though, but don't got the extra $20 for it right now, total + shipped for Walbro combo kit is $150 ....should I even get the fuel filter kit with it? I guess I could wait if so, idk... :?:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
90zcrx said:
Good vid on main relays...

Seen it before. Still didn't provide a lot of info in that vid but well covered, I suppose. EricTheCarGuy is ALWAYS my 1st source to certain issues & to recap on things. Great info to some interesting things he covers or how he does things

spoonfedcrx said:
If money is tight don't replace the fuel pump. Looks like you found the problem with the main relay.
Kinda a win & lose situation for me... Money is tight, but only for a new main relay right now! Fuel pump is very much needed & has been. Along with that a filter kit wouldn't hurt to add to it if I'm gonna mess around & replace things in that area. Plus I don't like certain stock parts from car dealership sale back in '88 still being on my ride. Basically running 23yr old parts to run my car + any previous work done by others on my ride which I know nothing if done properly...

I've got this thing with my car, more like an issue, where I always gotta do work myself to ensure I've gotten a well known quality brand freshly new out the box installed in my ride + properly done by me, or at least messed up to where I can fix it... I just NEVER use cheap, used or old parts to even accepting half ass jobs being done. It's not allowed at all! Just bothers me & its a #1 rule for my ride... Personal preference is all I'm sayin

So fuel pump kit has got to be upgraded & I will be buying a new main relay in a month just for backup :nod:

ScottMog said:
im pretty sure you can get the same pumps on ebay for 90-100 or craiglist
Yeah I always consider eBay for purchases, except, I don't very much trust online sellers. So I deal with companies I've bought from before. Peace of mind.

Plus I've had some friends deal with things like people shipping out different filter kits every time + with cheaper quality stuff to a few actually getting knock off Walbros... eBay is good for prices & on a budget! I've read many & still see people say "eBay order in blahblahblah..." but for some reason I just can't ease my mind with automotive purchases like them or you Scott, call me crazy :yuck:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Main relay fixed!! Came out clean, till I redid it for a bit more fresh solder, now there's a lot of flux but whatever... Main relay clicks when turning over my key & fuel pump comes on as well, although hard to tell at times. Either way my ride finally starts like nothing which I never thought possible :)b

Can't believe I gave up on this cause it was a PITA to get out :doh: I def recommend everyone to repair theirs if they bought a new Rex recently. This little fix would of saved me a long time ago with tons of headaches & issues out the way

Well of course, like always with my Honda curse & luck, I got somewhat bad news again but on a lower level... Stock Honda stereo won't turn on at all but it does have power going to it, same with amplifier although that's cause the stereo won't come on, which is driving me insane :yell: :cry:
If anyone has interest to inputs or a solution please read & comment my post here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46853

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Radio & amplifier now work. Feel dumb to admit it, but it was a little stupid fuse issue for the radio in slot 17 :doh:

EF9 Mini Project: Honda Civic Hatchback (Feb - April 2011)
So I was going through tough times with no house but my CRX. Had I've lived out my ride a few times before, but was lucky enough to get help from a good friend/brother Jacob. While living with him he managed to trade parts for this ugly green machine EF Civic. Didn't think he could do it but he traded few parts for a car. He eventually sold it to his brother as his 1st car + to start a project.

It was an extremely low budget project that came out pretty cool in the end. Sadly the Civic got sold and they both came up on quick cash. I just worked on it and wire tucked it, since I lived with him; which was good enough for me! Well the rest is history, but included throughout this build thread will be a short vivid memory I managed to take, as it was apart of my daily life.

February 23, 2011
Here's a pic of Jacob (with our friends fully carbon fiber custom NSX)

Jacobs Honda Civic Sedan ZC DOHC (Turbo Built).

More pics and info + that EF hatch to come soon!

D15b7 Jacob and I got; he got all this for $20! Picked up and delivered in my CRX

February 24, 2011 CRX Goods

Finally got rid of my damaged left turn signal

Not OEM or perfect fit, but finally a shiftboot!

Tiny tow hook that a friend of mine made; Donald, and it works perfectly!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
February 25, 2011 Header and Rear Bumper Swap
1988 CRX rear bumper (no flared lip)
Obviously removed rear taillights for bumper swap

1989 CRX rear bumper (with flared lip)

Cheap Knock-Off Header Swap
Much better than stock; pulls a bit, hate that its knockoff

February 27, 2011 Jacobs EF Hatch
No Before Look, But Better Than Nothing

I had to fix and solder the underdash/ignition wires, pita!

Hers a look at Jacob's teal EG hatch

Richards Self-etching Glass Sticker on Jacobs Sedan

February 28, 2011 CRX Coolant Leak
Couldn't figure out for the longest where the leak was till this day.

February 28, 2011 Jacobs Rim Trade Mission
Jacob spotted these XXR on this Mazda. Magically the guy appeared out of nowhere to talk business.

March 3, 2011 Jacobs EF Hatch Prep for Paint job

You gotta admit that's a dope ass blanket!

This EF Sedan is Jacob's slammed ride with a ZC DOHC built for turbo

February 4, 2011 Engine bay Painted & Wiring Nightmare
The plan was to paint the entire car baby blue... Engine bay test 1st!

Interior Wiring Nightmare

March 6, 2011 Magazines and Under Hood INFO / STUDY

I stayed reading Jacobs magazines nonstop

Civic DX (carb) under hood information, for future resource

March 8, 2011 Visiting Family Friends
One more look before heading out to chill with some homies

These two vehicle owners are brothers and close friends/family of mine
Jimmy's CRX Si

You can see my piece of **** CRX in the back of Jimmy's CRX

Ely's Civic DX Hatchback

Nice rides. Nice day.

March 11, 2011 Jacob's Civic Sedan ZC DOHC Turbo Built
The rear tire setup looks crazy stupid. Tried to see what EK lower control arms would do. Car rode/moved and looked like an octopus sliding around while driving; odd I know...

March 15, 2011 Jacob's Rim Trade Accomplished
Took him awhile, but he finally got these damn XXR rims from this Mazda, which he already owns a set of...

Bye, bye knockoff Work Meister!

March 15, 2011 CRX Junkyard Find
1989 Stanley Prelude fog lights

March 27 CRX Brake Fluid Issue
For about a week this was on, thought it was a e-brake wiring issue (known to come loose or have issues), then I finally thought about checking my brake fluid wires... Was extremely low on brake fluid; stupid me, never again!

March 30, 2011 Locked Out, Stuck in my CRX
Ended up locked out from the pad. Was stuck in my car to sleep. Ended up drawing what I could see out my passenger window. By this time; I believe, I got the boot from Jacob's pad and ended up at the grandparent's, luckily. Working on my CRX tremendously dropped though.

March 30, 2011 Nick's Integra B20 Project
My brothers car needed a serious amount of parts, wiring fixes to security touch ups, and a audio system! So I offered to help out whenever he needed it. Especially whenever it wouldn't want to start up.

April 11, 2011 Automotive Business
Started to build a name for myself and ended up working on peoples cars a lot. Got myself this fancy Dell monitor that got slightly nicked and a Mac Mini for research and my side business of graphic designs and web development.

April 14, 2011 ZC DOHC for Wire Tuck? Why Not!
Did a small job and ended up with this bad boy.

April 15, 2011 Jacob's Civic Hatchback Painted

Haven't updated in forever. Personal reasons. Although I have been getting things done here & there + writing things to post up while editing pic sizes & uploading 'em. SO all updates soon, trust me, as I am working on them to start working up to date.

May 06, 2011
For now, simple update; my CRX got impounded on May 5 on Cinco De Mayo for no license, registration, proof of insurance & dippin with someone in my nonexistent 'backseat'. I hella fucked up!! Although the officer gave me a break with a 1-day holding fee ($256 total), so was able to get it the next day on May 6. So my Rex is finally up to date with new tags/regs + insurance. Ain't loosing it again so licensed driver in progress! ...I'm hella lucky to have my car back in my position & love it to death so much more :love3:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
MexiChriS said:
Haven't updated in forever. Personal reasons. Although I have been getting things done here & there + writing things to post up while editing pic sizes & uploading 'em. SO all updates soon, trust me, as I am working on them to start working up to date.

For now, simple update; my CRX got impounded on May 5 on Cinco De Mayo for no license, registration, proof of insurance & dippin with someone in my nonexistent 'backseat'. I hella [potty mouth] up!! Although the officer gave me a break with a 1-day holding fee ($256 total), so was able to get it the next day on May 6. So my Rex is finally up to date with new tags/regs + insurance. Ain't loosing it again so licensed driver in progress! ...I'm hella lucky to have my car back in my position & love it to death so much more :love3:

Good save bro. Gotta be careful next time. MOAR pics!! :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Been awhile since I've been active on this site and updated. So here's the only updates I had saved and then to current up to date news.

May 14, 2011 EK Hatch Wire Tuck
We went a ghetto route on this wire tuck and specific locations, along with relocating break cylinder, just to save cash for this minor build project. Plus there was a lot of interior wiring work fixed. Along with removing those stupid airbags.

May 15, 2011 B18b LS Swap

May 16, 2011 Last Day Hanging
Instead of taking pictures of the work, we chilled, and I never got to snap any finish wire tuck work + my friend had the wrong motor mounts (like I had told him) and he called the swap off. **** blows!! Would of been a nice to mob around in.

June 7, 2011 Nick's Integra Finished
Finally got done touching up everything on my bros car. Took about 2-3mon. This was soon sold.

June 11, 2011 Jacobs Sedan ZC DOHC Turbo Built
My bro got rid of this ride. Sad ****...

Well I still got a lot of love for my ride and can't part from it. I did a long over due oil change. Got new spark plugs in the other day. Today, I've been working on the hood oxidation, stripped it bare and about to do a 2nd coat of primer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
August 8, 2011 Hood Painting!
LATE hood paint job UPDATE
iPhone got stolen so it was hard to get my pics yet alone a computer to downsize the pictures... Well I messed up on the hood; bought the wrong black paint & clear coat, accidentally got 'gloss black' & 'acrylic clear coat' (not pictured). Instead of 'flat black' and 'clear coat'. From there I didn't care much how the outcome was, as long as it wasn't all crazy oxidation up the ass, like it looked before. Well anyways, here's the late update, better late than never!
Paint used. Not shown in pic is the acrylic clear coat.

Hood straight sanded down, ran out of grit, better than nothing

Primering hood start off - each pic per coat layering

Gloss black, realized got wrong paint idiot status! :doh: - each pic per coat layering

Acrylic clear coat, 1st coat was best should of left it - each pic per coat layering

Tow hook my friend made, sanded & primered gray

Break from painting for slushies & fresh breath of air for my motor, with no hood on :)b

August 9, 2011 Hood Painting Results
Final result the following morning, hate it, but I'm content :lol:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Time for another major upgrade. Currently going into hibernation mode. Major pre-start for winterish project, starting early to hopefully finish right before a fresh new years start. As I've got some major plans in the works...

Well I'll be parting ways with my Si tranny which is butter smooth shifting and regularly serviced with Honda Manual Transmission fluid only. Also on the list to possibly sell is my ZC SOHC also regularly serviced and only Mobil 1 oil/filter used. Originally tranny and engine were from Dmlemus, kept it in the rex family...

If anyones interested just pm me or possibly for other things I could part ways with :lol:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So the rex is now a shell. Sold my engine + tranny. No lie I miss it, both the engine & my CRX... Time to finally work on it though! Can't wait for next summers car events. Some major goals to 'future plans' going into work for my rex... hopefully! :lol:

September 8, 2011 1990 Civic Wagon Purchase
WELL SINCE NO REX in with the new!!! =]]
(copy/paste from my thread over at HCW introduction)
--- little background info on my find ---
Santa Maria is where I drove to get the wagon. Took 3hrs+ to get there from Bakersfield taking CA-166. Got lost on the way back home, so took 4hr+ with a major detour through CA-41/44 i believe, through Paso Robles basically to get to Bako. That route back home put my wagon through a major test run on how the engine is, as those hills/mountains are beasty!! All in all, i came up on a decent running car, perfect ride nearly identical to my moms BMW X5, and it has no overheat or signs of oil leak while sitting (tested 2 days to see). So all in all, glad i drove out there and risked it the way back, perfect test run!

--- 1990 Honda Civic Wagon ---
So for $1270 I picked up a 1990 Civic Wagon with about 1484628 miles on the chassis/engine. The stock D15b2 engine needs a full gasket kit or whatever its called due to spark plugs and valve cover leaky issue + a distributor o-ring leak. Both an easy fix as my CRX had the same issue, only it was worse/severe than this condition in my wagon, as my rex engine was pretty much dead. So I'll save/restore this stock engine.

Now the only real major issue I see so far is the clutch might need a full kit replacement, might pass up on that despite the fact that it needs a release bearing (throwout bearing) which I will replace as its pretty much fucked/noisy. So who knows, I like killing two birds with one stone + my friend works for ACT sooo hook up there for a full clutch kit... Once again though my rex had the same issue only I never fixed it as I parted the tranny/clutch for cash.

Aside from those 'minor issues' to me, some minor touch ups to TLC required would be a radio needed to few body dings + the major door damage needing bodywork, window & lock opening/closing issues, to my clock losing lighting power/reseting itself... With all this said, I'm a do ALL the work myself, cause I can and thats how I am when it comes to Honda's. Showing the hard work to dedication to own one! :)

Craigslist Ad

Well now for MY pics!!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.