Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after letting the crx sit for 3 weeks after I put the head and intake on it, I finally had a chance to trouble shoot a couple things and get her fired up. :D

I was messing with the timing and such so I took it for a test drive down the main street of my town to test it under load. Long story short I'm in a pack of cars going down the street out of which I am going the slowest. I see 3 motor cops and think, shoot, I don't even know how fast I'm going. Turns out I was doing 64 in a 45. What bugs the hellout of me is not that i got the ticket. I didn't argue with the cop because he's just doing his job. What i am mad about is the 6000 lb suvs around me who were PASSING me apparently aren't held to the same laws that I am driving a lowered Honda. I mean when I saw the cops I even slowed down as well. In fact, now that I think about it, I was never doing over 60, and my speedo even reads high. **shrug** Can't argue with radar though, even if there were cars passing me between me and where the cops were...

Well, i guess the mini-me cost me another $300 more than I planned. So keep that in mind if you are thinking of doing an upgrade or a swap.

Hooray for the y8 head and z6 intake though, Now I just need to get that chip from matt so i can drop in my crower cam...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was talking to a friend about this (who's a cop). I noticed that I can speed in my daily driver car without a flinch from cops, but when I drive the CRX, they tail me like I'm on a most wanted list (mine's completely stock - inside and out)

He admitted that imports (especially lowered) are targeted. It's usually younger guys who are, or will be racing. They generally won't get out of a ticket through lawyers and the cops see it as a consistent reminder that they're out watching for street racing.

Most cops own huge SUVs so they don't really pay attention to their own.

Bad news, but at least you've got it confirmed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of course there's multiple reasons. It was just a common conversation with a buddy. What I meant by "ignoring our own", was not as much cops in particular, but the same socioeconomic level. Around here, biggest daily issue has been with racing. One city in Sac County has made it so anyone caught racing is immediately arrested and the car is either impounded or simply seized.

As much as it's had a dramatic effect, the local cops have also made somewhat of an agreement on the strip. The local car enthusiasts are permitted to gather in a parking lot on the weekends, but they are responsible for keeping people in line. I stopped by once, and the message was very clear from everyone gathered that racing, loud stereos, etc. were simply not tolerated. It's a self policing policy that's turned out to be great for everyone.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, ya I'm not at all complaining that I recieved the ticket. No matter what, I was speeding. It just so happened that I wasn't paying attention and just following the flow of traffic, but its stilil my responsibility to not speed. It just irks me that the same cell phone talking, big SUV driving maniacs who are always trying to run me over on my motorcycle are the same ones who don't get pulled over for speeding in cases like these... you know?

I'm usually less quick to criticise police too because my dad is CHP. i've ridden around with him before, i've seen what its like, so I'm reasonable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
jmart said:
who are always trying to run me over on my motorcycle
Riding the bike is a whole different ballgame. On one side, you've to the idiots that get a GSX-R as their first bike and do wheelies down a main street. On the other side, you go out knowing that you might as well be invisible. I admit that I never noticed motorcycles as much as when I started riding.

The only time I'd ever get away with flipping a CHP off was when he blindly came into the side of me.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, i hear that brown and black cars get it the worst...

·
Registered
300 Posts
jmart said:
Ya, i hear that brown and black cars get it the worst...
Someone had to say it....That was a pretty good one man, but I'm sure my "red" car has a drinking problem too. :lol:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Prana25 said:
Most cops own huge SUVs so they don't really pay attention to their own.
I wish this was true a cop in my city drives a white crx. One day I was followed home from work. The cop actually turned around to follow me home. I didn't have anything to worry about. I almost never drive 5mph over the speed limit and if I do it is only like 6 or 7 mph over. Maybe the cop thought I stole his car or maybe he just wanted to see what was done to it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea its usually the "tuners" who get the ticket.. me and my buddies were cruising doin about 70 in a 55 during rush hour. going just as fast everyone else. we had 3 mustangs in the group and my one friend is lucky enough to have a 04 infinity g35x that is bright red. he was #2 in the line and sure enough a statey pulls out, flips on his lights passes the 2 mustangs behind it and pulls him over. now what i want to know is, how come the leader didn't get pulled over?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
Could be.

Or, since he knows that Hondas are often stolen, maybe he was just running the plate to make sure it wasn't...I do this almost every time I see a CRX.

I would absolutely love to get to return a stolen CRX to its rightful owner and put the dirtbag who stole it behind bars!

I have yet to hand out any CRX community cards to people I have stopped though. :p
The cops in my town now nothing about hondas being a highly stolen car. There has only ever been like two cars stolen in my town. Atleast I shouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen at my house.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Come on Mark, you're supposed to account for every cop nation wide!!

Like I said before, when I drive the CRX, I get followed quite often, even though the car is bone stock original. In my daily driver, I never get followed. The couple of times I've gotten pulled over, it's been a verbal warning. I'm certainly not going to complain.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
lol i get or got pulled over every day when i had my license (lost it to racing )but it never was proven,but i get my lisence back in a few months :lol:
i was the only guy in my town with a tuner car everything else was jacked up trucks and mustangs so i kinda think thats why the cops allways pulled me over :lol: no wait it was becuase i drove like a dumbass

this is one of those things sure i drove like a dumby but there were lots of times that i never did nadda ,but im sure the reason i was pulled over was because they thought they would just check and make sure i didnt have anything planned lol

but i never did anyhting stupid when there was anyone around and was most of the time not on public roads

like when i see someone swurving in and out of traffic with there moms tempo ,i shake my head and hope they get busted
like thats just pushing it
if you wanna risk your life then givver but do it in a safe place like a track or atleast where no one else is going to be

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
One of my friends was complaining about getting pulled over in his Mustang coming back to school from a break. I guess he was cruising with a group of cars, and he was the one that got pulled. He started whining about how he was pulled over and everyone else didn't. Another friend of ours asked "Do you fish?"
Mustang guy: "Yea, WTF does this have to do with me getting a ticket?!?!"
"Do you catch every one?"
"$#$! You!!!!!!!"

Classic, lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
rex2nr said:
Another friend of ours asked "Do you fish?"
Mustang guy: "Yea, WTF does this have to do with me getting a ticket?!?!"
"Do you catch every one?"

Classic, lol
i never thought of it that way.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, I guess ticket writing should be like fishing then: the faster ones get away, and the slower ones get caught. Makes sense to me...

It just irked me because the cop went for the easy target, me, because i was at the back of the line of cars at the stoplight. How did I end up at the back? Well perhaps it was because i was driving the slowest of everyone on the road. I guess I just figure that if you've got to write someone a ticket, and they are all stopped at a light, and you are on a motorcycle, you should write a ticket to the guy going the fastest. Maybe that logic is wrong.

Either way, the fact that I got the ticket doesn't bother me, its the way the laws are enforced. I mean I'm sure I wouldn't have my job if I always just went after the small easy problems instead of tackling the harder problems. I think that saying that you can only pay attention to one car is a bit of a cop-out (no pun intended).

·
Registered
473 Posts
jmart said:
Ya, I guess ticket writing should be like fishing then: the faster ones get away, and the slower ones get caught. Makes sense to me...

Either way, the fact that I got the ticket doesn't bother me, its the way the laws are enforced. I mean I'm sure I wouldn't have my job if I always just went after the small easy problems instead of tackling the harder problems. I think that saying that you can only pay attention to one car is a bit of a cop-out (no pun intended).
You do have one chance to fight it in court and beat it, you want to find out when the radar gun was last calibrated and checked for accuracy. If it is outside of the realm of when it should be made sure to be in good working order, you can beat the ticket.

I've gotten a few, and I've never once argued with the officer giving them. They're doing their job, and I of course broke some traffic law or another. There are ways to argue in court though :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eh, i don't really think its worth arguing it in court. ll it is going to do is make the judge more angry (and he's the one doling out the punishment). I broke the law, i can handle taking responsibility.

·
Registered
32 Posts
JustAnotherRex said:
You do have one chance to fight it in court and beat it, you want to find out when the radar gun was last calibrated and checked for accuracy. If it is outside of the realm of when it should be made sure to be in good working order, you can beat the ticket.

I've gotten a few, and I've never once argued with the officer giving them. They're doing their job, and I of course broke some traffic law or another. There are ways to argue in court though :)
I tried this once. Along with clarifying that I wasn't questioning the officer's ability to properly calibrate his equipment, I did question how he could have started his motorcycle and caught up to me in the short time (as motorcycle engines are known for creating interference). I also questioned the possibility of shadowing, as a blue acura was hauling ass in the opposite direction, while I was slowing for a left turn. The officer even admitted to our conversation about how I was just headed home to mow the lawn, so there wasn't a major urgency for me to get anywhere. The judge commended me on my knowledge and presentation and told me the ticket would need to be paid. After court, the officer and I got into a conversation about the new (at the time) BMW bikes vs. their old Kawasaki's.

Luckily, in my daily driver, the couple of times I have gotten pulled over, I was complimented on my car and told to slow down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.