Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm weighing the pros and cons. At first, i was dead set on a b16, but not i'm looking into a mini me as well. I really want a DOHC. and i've herd there is a DOHC variant on the ZC. Right now, i have an A6. What would i need to get one of these done. Also, about what would it cost. I'm actualy leaning to this beacuse it seems like a lot less work.

On the other hand, if i could get a hold of a b16 for a reasonable price, i would still do that. What do you think the pros-cons are on both sides?

Also, if you have any parts for a mini-me swap or a b swap, i would be interested in them.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I voted for a mini me, but i might be biased.

i have a mini me and a bseries rex and i love them both.

I aslo have a complete z6 head, with distributor, rebuilt about 5k ago, a P28 ECU, and a obd0-obd1 jumper harness Id be willing to part with.

[email protected]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm very interested. Before i buy though, i want to find as much info about this as possable so that there are no problems with anything.

Ok, so i know i'm going to need the head, Dizzy, ECU and jumper. What else am i goiong to need to get?

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
The major other thing off the top of my head is 4 wire 02 sensor. besides that there is nothing major. You can reuse your complete intake and exhaust manifolds.

Im sure some other people on here will chime in to back up my spare parts :), I gotta run right now, btu heres what I could provide you with:

D16Z6 Complete Head and Valve Cover
D16Z6 Distributor
P28 ECU
Boomsland OBD0-OBD1 Jumper Harness
ARP Head Studs
and I may have a z6 head gasket, z6 spark plug wires and timing belt available, i have to verify. Hopefully someone else cna post up the rest of the necessary parts to help you out. Ill be back online later tonight.

[email protected]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much, i didnt expect to get help this quickly. PM me whith the stuff you have and a "hopefully" reasonable price. BTW d16z6rex, where are you located?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I also voted Mini-Me, we talked the other night on AIM. There's no reason you should have problems with your A6, considering it's freshly rebuilt. I loved my A6, but... you always want something more. The mini-me will be easier and cheaper for you to do, and it will be a nice bump in power. Get some ZC pistons and you'll be even better off.
And I can vouch for Matt, awesome guy with good parts, he'll help you out. Shipping might be a bit though... CT to CO.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, but it will still be cheaper than a b16 by far. Will it work with A6 pistons for the time? I plan on using the money i save for pistons, connecting rods and exhaust. I plan to turbo it in the future, probably next summer.

BTW downest, i think i found the smoking problem with my car. I think its just a bad valve seal on the exhaust side because when i open up the valve cover, theres some white smoke from the gases leaking into the oil. Oh well, like you said, i'm still just looking for more power.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Yes, the A6 pistons will be fine. If you plan on going turbo, I wouldn't get the ZC pistons, stay with the A6 ones or look for Z6 pistons for lower compression. I know *someone* has a box with some Z6 pistons in it.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
ha yeha i have z6 pistons and rods lying around as well. shipping isnt much of a concern, as I get a pretty good deal on that stuff. Ill think about what I can do for a price, and Ill get some pictures up so you can see everything.

I also have a bare z6 block and a z6 crank kicking around, that would be perfect for building up as a built bottom end, eliminating downtime and starting fresh.

I also have a z6 oil pan tapped for a turbo drain line.

but if you are going to boost, you should definitely stay d series in my opinion. the turbo is a great equalizer if you are talking about haveing a street driven car, you can get a d series up to the magic 300whp number building the bottom end.

regardless, Ill catalog some parts I have so you can get an idea what I have and what you may be interested in. Id be happy to help out another crxcommunity member with a killer build.

Ill be back in a few hours after dinner and xmen III. later

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I say its time to upgrade...I dont hate d series motors, theyre pretty decent for what they are...but eventually youll hit a dead end. If you get a B series you have so much more room to grow.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, i understand the b has more potential, but i'm an 18 year old kid going to college and i just dont have that money. If i had more, i would definatly go b, but i think this would be the best use of my money and time. Maybe some day, i'll do a b swap, but for now, this is my best option. Thank you all again for the input.

·
Registered
778 Posts
if you want something good, reliable and fun go the mini me route. it's cheap. chances are you'll want to upgrade your car to something newer after school so why dump more money into it now?

i just like making more with less, so that's why i stuck with the mini me. i love my car so far. fun so far.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
red89si said:
I say its time to upgrade...I dont hate d series motors, theyre pretty decent for what they are...but eventually youll hit a dead end. If you get a B series you have so much more room to grow.
whats the dead end though, if you are going turbo...about 300whp? i dont know if thats really a dead end.....i was at 242whp on my sohc turbo and i had plenty of room to grow....

looking back at what it just cost me to put my GSR motor in my new crx, it makes my mind spin haha. and i already had a motor, tranny, ecu, and axles out of my integra!

[email protected]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mmmmmm, V8. Of course, that would meen sacrificing all reliability, seeing that it is an american engine. Take the indy 500 for example...all hondas

Anyway, i'd looove to see some pics and pricing. Sorry if i sound antsy, but this is like christmas for me. it will probably be the biggest thing i do to my car for a while. PM me and i can give you my phone number if you want to talk about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.