Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm gonna be doing my swap to a z6 head soon. My question is if i can reuse the MLS head gasket. It only has about 1000 miles on it and i dont want to have to get a new one unless i have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Do you really want to have to take the head off again when you find out that it leaks? I wouldn't take the chance. It was my understanding that head gaskets should only be used once because they are a high heat/high pressure application.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
the metal will nto crack, but it does deform to the unique shapes it is mated to on your block and head. If you put a new head on you run the risk of the gasket not sealing to the surfaces correctly. i think stock gaskets are only about 30 bucks from Honda. THats cheap enough to justify not cheaping out on it. Do it right and it will continue to last forever, just like a good honda should!!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Replace is preferred (by the way, head bolts are as well)...

But obviously people re-use head bolts, and people do reuse headgaskets. I wouldn't reuse unless you -absolutely- have to.. and if that is the case, clean it up VERY well, and use copper gasket spray on it.

But may as well not reuse them... replacements are cheap, and if you do it right once, you won't have to re-do it later ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.