Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 86 CRX and it has the stock carburated motor. The stock motor runs pretty decent but i am wanting to get rid of the carb and get fuel injection. If i put a fuel injected motor in then do i need to change anything else or can i just drop the motor in. Sorry i don't have any experience in changing from a carb to an fi. So any info would be great and no thrad bashing please!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I did the swap to FI with my 87DX... It took me a while, but FI is nice indeed.

You will need at least the following:

85-87 CRX Si complete FI motor
The entire wiring harness, including all smog equipment
The FI ECU
The FI fuel lines, gas tank, and fuel pump

>If you have a DX, the hubs/axles will be the same
>To do the swap right, you need the FI cluster with the PGMFI light
>Honda changed plugs in 86, so if you have a 85 wiring harness, prepare to modify some stuff

I ended up using an 85Si harness and ECU, dash, motor, mounts, complete exhaust system, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, axles, radiator and overflow bottle, ignition coil, emissions components and a few other oddball items. I used the tranny from the 87DX, as well as the rear chassis wiring harness. I had to add a few wires for the third brake light, modify the headlight plugs, the heater core plugs, the brake light switch plugs, and the firewall to accommodate the revised fuel line routing and fuel filter mount. Most major components should already have mounting holes for them already. I had to make my own intake because I threw the old tube away by accident.

At the same time it would be wise to do any and all major tune up/ maintenance repairs on the vehicle now. While I was doing the swap, I also did brakes and hardware all around for the DX chassis and flushed the brake fluid, a new clutch kit while the tranny is out, new shocks, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, plugs, coolant, oil and filter, tranny fluid. I neglected to do this but did it later : timing belt, water pump, front and rear crank seals if they are leaking, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.

Shop manuals are invaluable for this type of work, as are two pair of jackstands. Give yourself plenty of time and money, and read or ask questions when in doubt.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i axually have the whole motor, but i was just saying.

and i live in stillwater, ok 74075
need any more info just pm me. ill work out somthing if you want any thing

the motor for the 85 crx SI is the EW4 i think its 8 or 12 valve, mpfi i have every thing. if you need anything just let me know.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ludesrv said:
Dren said:
yeah, or swap heads and stay with the carbs. you can make some nice power with different carbs and some tuning.
Very true. In the right hands a carb motor will rock it's FI counterpart.
Sorry to threadjack, but...

Why is that so? I assume because you can fine tune everything with carbs, but why can't the FIed motor do the same?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.