Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you swap your motor in California you need to have in inspected by a state referee. You will need to e-mail the following before your visit (copied and pasted from referee e-mail).
  1. Vehicle Registration
  2. Donor vehicle VIN
  3. Picture of the front of the vehicle with the hood closed.
  4. Pictures of the exhaust showing location of the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor.
  5. Two pictures of engine compartment
  6. Picture of the engine control module part number
  7. Picture of the engine code
If you do not have donor vehicle vin, then you need a proof of purchase (to verify that it wasn't stolen). Also, remember to have an OEM street legal cat converter with the executive # stamped on it. And, LSVTEC will automatically fail.

Once you have all of the above you schedule an appointment by going to asktheref.org and calling the phone number provided.

Once they verify via e-mail you've provided all the necessary pictures you're cleared and can now schedule an in person visit.

Once youre there, the referee will do a visual inspection to make sure all the wiring and all sensors are legit. He will ask to see the ECU and take pictures of the vehicle. He will then do an evap test to check for leaks (make sure all your hoses are properly connected). He will then turn the key and inspect the lights on your dash. He will then turn on the vehicle and check the timing and make sure your radiator fan turns on via fan switch (if you have your fan hooked up to a toggle you wil FAIL).

Afterwards, he will tie down the vehicle and and begin the smog process. I believe its 15mph on 2nd gear and 25mph on 3rd gear. He will shut the vehicle off, go back to his computer, type some notes, print out the label and stick it in your door jamb area.

The info is automatically sent to the DMV and you can finally register the vehicle. For future smogs you can go to any smog station just show them the label. Good luck.

Attachments

· Registered
2,997 Posts
Cool, glad to see someone has gotten it all the way through the process!!

I did not know that an LS/VTEC would automatically fail. I wonder if a Mini-Me would also? (Stands to reason.)

--DD

· Registered
a CRX
2,616 Posts
Welp, my car would fail miserably. But not in PA. ;)

That amount of work you guys have to go through in Cali is mind boggling. And that coming from the guy who has done PA State/Emissions testing for the last 20 years.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, glad to see someone has gotten it all the way through the process!!

I did not know that an LS/VTEC would automatically fail. I wonder if a Mini-Me would also? (Stands to reason.)

--DD
It's a pain in the butt. Nailed it in the second attempt. LSVTEC would not pass because its considered a Frankenstein motor. They'll check the engine code and show its not supposed to be vtec. The whole process is quite nerve racking.

· Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
44 Posts
A bit late here, sorry. I haven't transfered the title over to my name as it would require a smog check within a month. My car is currently non op but it's registered as salvaged. Once it's running I know it will pass emissions, but it's an odd swap to say the least. (d16y7 in ed6, manual swap, egr delete, pm9 ecu and harness). Could I just hot smog after transfering title and re-register it without the system ever knowing it's a swap? I'm new to all this, sorry if I asked any stupid questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts