Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have an 89 Si all factory with 180k on the D16A6 and chasis. since I've gotten it I've really babied it since I don't know how the previous owners treated it.(probably rough) It is in despreate need of a rebuild and I figure to go for a swap instead, we have a bit of an import scene here and most of the rexs have the B16 swap, there are also a lot of neon srt4's...my question is what is the best swap that would allow me to show up on the "our scene" and crush them...If at all possible I really would like to have a different but a NA setup (or possibly supercharged) that can be a DD. any suggestions would be great! Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
"Crush them" = K series

or

"Piss them off" = B18C1 GSR

"Thorn in their side" = B18A/B LS

"Be one with the bunch" = B16A

"get picked on mercifully" = ZC :p

The REAL question, is exactly how much are you ABLE to spend (i don't ask "want to spend" anymore, cause no one WANTS to spend much at all, but they are willing to spend more... so i now ask what are you able/willing to spend :twisted: )

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Doc Huckleberry said:
Time is money, so no real limitations there, but realistically about 5k or so... and I have thought of the K20, but can it be a reliable Daily Driver?
Will you be putting it in yourself, because for 5k that won't touch a k20 installed.

Go with a b18b or DOHC Zc and boost later on down the road.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
$5K can get a B18C1 in there... i'd do that WAY before i'd mess with the B18A/B, and i wouldn't even THINK about considering a ZC.... just not worth it if you're already able to go further.

The K20 can INDEED be a reliable daily driver... after all, the motors have way less mileage on them than pretty much any used B-series, and otherwise they bolt up just like stock, and will run for years and years. Realistically though, don't even attempt walking into the K swap with any less than $7500... and be ready for more... otherwise, you'll wind up selling yourself short, and having to cut corners, and THEN you may not have all that reliable of a daily driver... haha! A lot of course depends on your hookups, used parts (like shifter box), ecu choice (k-pro, etc), and most importantly, labor, and whether you are doing it yourself or not.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ComposiMo said:
"Crush them" = K series

or

"Piss them off" = B18C1 GSR

"Thorn in their side" = B18A/B LS

"Be one with the bunch" = B16A

"get picked on mercifully" = ZC :p

The REAL question, is exactly how much are you ABLE to spend (i don't ask "want to spend" anymore, cause no one WANTS to spend much at all, but they are willing to spend more... so i now ask what are you able/willing to spend :twisted: )
That should be posted, ans stickied on every CRX/EF forum on the planet!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh.. to show up and " CRUSH " them is the goal... but as long as I can get to work, school and home with some weekend racing, the extra cash spent would be worth the looks of disbelief, I would be doing most myself but I do have friends that would be willing to help when requested, that are capable. Now I've read the post on here of the swap and the one Hasport has done, a little intimidating to say the least but very do-able, but where can I find out exactly every part I will need i.e. down the size bolt and thread count...and where to find them?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Doc Huckleberry said:
Oh.. to show up and " CRUSH " them is the goal... but as long as I can get to work, school and home with some weekend racing, the extra cash spent would be worth the looks of disbelief, I would be doing most myself but I do have friends that would be willing to help when requested, that are capable. Now I've read the post on here of the swap and the one Hasport has done, a little intimidating to say the least but very do-able, but where can I find out exactly every part I will need i.e. down the size bolt and thread count...and where to find them?
I think Ryan at Rywire.com has on his page a step by step for the K20.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
With that mindset, the K is definitely the ticket if you are wanting to have a jaw-dropping car, and are ok wiht the potential costs of having that. But once in there, as long as your install is good, it'll be reliable!

Now... as for a parts list, there is a good reason why the K-Series is expensive to have a shop install. Each one is a little different, and it can be done a load of different ways... mostly relating to accessory placement, such as battery location, radiator moutning, style, and custom or adapting a factory one, etc... Wiring can be different, but i strongly suggest that you contact Ryan at www.RyWire.com for the harness conversion that he does... makes the swap super-simple wiring-wise!

Even the parts lists vary widely, because it depends what you get with the motor when you buy the swap... shifter cables, shift box, does it include the grommets or not, etc.

A list like what you are asking for doesn't really even exist for B-swaps... Some shops DO have them, but thats not usually something anyone likes giving away, because it takes time and experience to put together that kind of list, and a lot of guys have the "we earned it, and feel you should to" attitude... which can be frustrating, but in the end when you've done the work, and are even more proud of your acheivement, will make sense to you, and you'll be glad that they did that!

This forum is here to help you though through the process for sure... there are plenty of guys on this forum that have done the swap, that help is there while you're doing it... and with your local help, this should be a good swap for you. It WILL be daunting, and won't be done in a weekend, so plan on alternate transportation. Also, hope that one of those buddies of yours welds really good (NO FLUXCORE EVER!! don't let any of them talk you into that for your motor mount!)

Anyway, you're likely going to have a ton of questions throughout the swap, so ask away! As for a place ot buy the motor, check out www.hmotorsonline.com 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate all the help so far and the links,and I have found some more...yes I have a friend who restores boats and is a really great welder...

Comp: thanks for the list info, I do understand the plethra of variables when performing swaps from when doing domestic V8's and that it really depends the individuals performing it, but I need have to have something to guide me and my "posse" , I don't think anyone (shop) around here has the balls to perform that kind of swap nor that I really trust, due to the lack of size of the "scene" here, none-the-less thanks... also Pm'd you about JDM post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.