Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bitch of a time removing a dead Hoosier from my wheels, and putting the new ones on. Anybody know a trick for this? I am running 20x7x13 Hoosier road race slicks on a 13x6.5 inch wheel. I have a full shop with a tire mounting machine.
There seems to be only one section of the wheel that's thinner for the tire to drop into. I can easily get the top side off when removing them, but then the tire just holds on to the bottom area of the rim.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What you are describing may be a reverse mount wheel. Can you tell if the inside of the wheel looks similar to this picture? (Note the wheel is upside down.)

If so, you must flip the wheel over and remove the tire from the back side after seating the top bead again. By the way, what type of tire changer do you use?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an old pic of it, before I was around:

I don't have a pic of the wheel at the moment. It goes like this, front on the left:

]___ ________[
\/

There is one small recess toward the front,the rest is really wide. I got the front off the wheel, but using the bead breaker on the back side only pushes the tire a little down the rim, only a few cm, and I can't get the iron under it to pull it off. Even if I could, I think it would be near impossible to get it to slide up to the top.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Lube it some and work it around a little at at time, I had some like that I played with years ago in 15'' . they're a bitch. and I was using an older style machine.

edit: looking at your machine you might not be able to get it off on that one. Breaking the bead is also clamping the tire/rim against the machine, right?
And not letting you get the outer side far enough away from the wheel for the inside to come up to the deeper section, correct?
Maybe with it clamped to the upper mount/dismount section of the machine you can pry it little by little with some tire spoons or prybars untill it's in the groove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.