Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 89 DX with a D16A6 engine, except the DPFI is still intact. What I would like to know is if it is worth it for me to swap to MPFI? I wouldn't mind some extra power and from what I've been told, since I have the D16A6 motor and not the D15B2, I would really benefit from the swap..

There's a '90 CRX Si at a local scrap yard. I can get the intake manifold and ECU for $100 Canadian, but it doesn't have the distributer, so how much would an Si dizzy run me from Honda, or are there any other shops (like Napa) that would carry them for a good price? Also, do I need the throttle cable from the MPFI motor as well or will my DX cable still work?

Thanks for any replies...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
NAPA should be able to order a distributor for you... The one I've seen (for a B18A1) looked to be good quality. Getting one from Honda would likely be 3x more expensive.
The MPFI throttle cable is a good idea but not required. In my case, eliminating that extra 3 feet of cable resulted in a noticeable reduction in friction. I'm not sure if the Si cable will work with the DX pedal cluster - the cable end is different IIRC. An '88-91 Civic EX or AWD Wagon cable should work fine.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The si cable worked fine for me no problems there. . . .but the dpfi cable will work as well. . . . . You can look for a used one but unless you can get it off of a runnign engine where you can verify that it works you are kinda out of luck as far as a guarentee.... .

Distributor king sells them cheap and they are good.... OK WOW just checked Dizzy king. . . $ 232.00 Ill keep looking.......................... ok here ya go . .. . 155.00 shipped to your door. . . . . . cant beat that even comes with cap and rotor. . . . .

your taking a gamble with used. . . . plus these are shiny . . . . and shiny is worth something. . .

Good luck . .

Chris

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I bought from distributor king and it works just fine. I know John does not like aftermarket dizzy's, but so far I have no issues. In fact the "real" honda dizzy I had, burned out a month or 2 ago. (when I was getting car tuned there was a blip that you could see on MY Phantom tach and we swapped in a used honda dizzy. Turned out it was just a loose wire on the Tach that I discovered weeks later) I cannot see it running any different now with the Distributor King part. I think you would need some pretty advanced equipment to detect a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.