Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I purchased a 88 CRX Si from my older brother (288rex) back in October 2010. He had the car for a few years and did alot of work getting rid of ghetto mods done prior. Here is a link to his work up until I bought it (be aware he did take the 90-91 lights, oem bumpers, oem interior, etc before selling it to me):

My Bro's Project Frankenstein

When I purchased the car I sadly admit I still liked the ricer look (I am 22 and grew up liking the Fast and the Furious :oops: );therefore, you will notice some rice mods in the beginning pics. My brother included the Wings West Body Kit off his Project Cookie Monster, along with the old euro style tail lights, projector headlights, and the tweed interior.

Here are pics of the day I bought the car (primering the car to make it one color and putting on the kit)

My bro helping tape off the car :mrgreen:

After some spray can primer

With the projector lights and bumper lights in (before nite-shading)

With the rear euro style lights in and nite-shaded

In the garage at home

With the new wheels (my bro wanted his light-weight ones back)

The new HID's (look at the difference - new 10K's vs. blue tinted NOKYA's)

After purchasing my center console, headlights, and driver's window seal from y49si :biggrin:
You can see that I still have the aftermarket shift knob in this pic :| ..but I was happy to have the factory boot!

The most recent pic of the interior here, with my factory shift knob (bought my bro 288rex the speed shift knob and got his)

New headlights, amber corners & bumper lights, and my new tail lights installed (thx 288rex for the x-mas present)

Next to my Dodge

I finally saw how much better I liked the factory CRX look and bought some 88-89 bumpers and moldings off my bro 288rex (the moldings are still not on as I have ordered the clips from Majestic Honda a week and a half ago but aren't arriving for another week)

I had to sand down the doors to get off the nasty 3M spray adhesive I had on the car to hold on the Wings West door caps (it took me sanding through my primer, my bro's green color, the silver under that, and even under some of the factory red to get it off!)...and all done by hand since I didn't have access to any DA's

I taped off the bumpers to spray some black plastic trim paint after I scuffed up the plastic a bit to get off the Maaco paint (the donor car appears to have a Maaco style paint job where the bumper plastics were sprayed :cry: )

Now time for the bumpers and a general mist of primer on the car (I was trying to get rid of the streakyness for now - after being a detailer at a body shop for a couple summers it is hard for me to not have a freshly painted car)

Not perfect, but will satisfy me until I get some $ after I finish college

My Pop's under the car helping look at my steering rack

The steering rack was missing the 2 middle bolts!!!

That's it for now, I will snap some pics of the interior I got from the donor car from my bro 288rex.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha thanks man. I just can't wait to get her on the road again. I have had a string of bad luck with it lately (mainly because I drive about 100 miles round trip 3-4 days a week to school up in Flagstaff, AZ, where the roads are torn apart from the salt). I've had the pedal assembly break (my bro and my friend re-welded it though), the pedal pad for the brake lights broke (which took me a day or two to figure out). As soon as I went to drive it after the pedal was replaced the battery was dead (I need a new one badly anyways). I went to push start it and pop the clutch but my steering wheel started spinning in circles. Rather than diagnose the problem (mainly since the wheel is aftermarket from the previous owners and I don't trust their work after finding weird problems) I swapped steering columns with my bros donor car. When I was trying to get the column bolted to the spline, it seemed the steering rack was too low. We got under it and noticed the bolts missing and it isn't lined up right.

So hopefully I will find some time after work or school one of these nights to get some wrench time done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, thx bro, I will get some interior shots soon, I just gotta clean it a little better first. You need to come over and help me get her on the street again :peace:

·
Registered
24 Posts
ur gettin there. good to see the the factory bumpers back. keep it goin:)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Looks nice, I know what you mean building on a college budget haha 8) Keep at it man

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ohiosofly - thanks for the comment man, and I think finding time for working on the car is the hardest part!

@Nar - Thanks man, if you look at the thread from when my Bro first got the car he did a great job of de-ricing it! When I bought it (the reason was to drive as a daily to save on gas for my 100 mile round trip to school) I got handed the body kit and lights for free, so I wasn't complaining at all! And the funny thing is, I used to want a Honda for the longest time growing up (at the time my bro wasn't into them), then he ended up buying the CRX I have now, and got me into them again :)b

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no idea! My bro did the swap, so I doubt they were missing then (you think he would have noticed if they were!)...the steering has felt way, way loose since I bought the car though, and my daily commute up to Flagstaff on the I-17 does not help at all (the road is horrible, huge potholes, bumpy as (potty mouth), and generally just (potty mouth)'ed up).

I noticed the aftermarket steering wheel that was in the car would sometimes be sideways when driving straight, then the next day be straight again, vice-versa. I was not comfortable with that at all! Then one day as I was pushing the car out of the garage (it was dead), the steering wheel just started spinning freely with no friction at all! I played with the wheel for a bit and then it all of a sudden had friction again, that's when I decided I was not going to be driving it til I fixed it (since I drive 80mph +).

My bro kindly gave me his steering column and wheel out of his donor car and as I was trying to bolt it to the spline, the spline slipped down (which made me wonder what was wrong with the rack). My pops and I jacked it up onto the ramps and found the rack unbolted in the middle like that! The bolt holes are a bit off so a bolt won't slide in. Therefore, I gotta get my bro over and put the car on stands to see if jerking the tires around lines it up.

Oh, and you've been to Sedona before I take it? It is a beautiful place, but these cars stick out like a sore thumb to the cops :rant2:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Me and my bro have the CRX love as well... but he stupidly got rid of his a few years ago... regrets it everyday he sees mine... haha and he's my room mate! So I rub it in a little bit here and there... ok ALWAYS!!! :)b

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, I didn't realize how rare a CRX is these days. I have seen maybe 5-6 of them since I bought mine in October. My boss bought 1 too now, I see a couple about 30 min from my house, and passed a couple on the Interstate.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some more pics I found of the CRX:

The day I bought my new wheels!

Here are a few when it snowed in Sedona (at my work):

That same night my pedal assembly's weld broke! My bro (288rex) lying upside down in the car replacing them for me...Thanks again :mrgreen:

Me cruising my daily drive (up to school):

Dropping the steering column (the old column and Grant wheel):

The CRX sitting in my garage still....My bro and I are gonna get some work done on it in the a.m. before I go to class

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some interior shots (shows the new wheel, and factory interior I got from my bro):

I need to fix the cargo cover (I don't know if you can tell by the pic, but it is separated)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.