Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can do 80 MPH in 2nd at 6K and at 75 mph I am only running about 2500 rpm in 5th gear.

It is a 1990 HF with a 92-95 15b7 engine swap but I do not know what trany it has.

Does this seem right or normal?

TIA

Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is crazy. I always wanted to do an Si tranny with an HF 5th gear. Can't find anyone to build it for me though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah i had an hf and at one time i took its tranny and put it on my old d16a6. That thing came out of second at like 85mph. Si's are good but with my z6 i kinda want a dx tranny for gas mileage and power distribution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i did the hf 5th gear in a si tranny the last time i changed the clutch. if i remember correctly the gearset was about $125. the maintenance manual will walk you right through the process with no problems. the tool to seperate the case housings that is shown in the manual i made out of some aluminum plate and a threaded rod. i think the mainshaft nut is left hand thread and i used an impact gun to break it loose. my si has 130k on the engine and has a dc header and exhaust system with a k&n air filter. i get 40.5 mpg at 70mph and 37.8 mpg at 80 mph. i thought the results were well worth the time and price.

·
Registered
111 Posts
luober said:
i did the hf 5th gear in a si tranny the last time i changed the clutch. if i remember correctly the gearset was about $125. the maintenance manual will walk you right through the process with no problems. the tool to seperate the case housings that is shown in the manual i made out of some aluminum plate and a threaded rod. i think the mainshaft nut is left hand thread and i used an impact gun to break it loose. my si has 130k on the engine and has a dc header and exhaust system with a k&n air filter. i get 40.5 mpg at 70mph and 37.8 mpg at 80 mph. i thought the results were well worth the time and price.
Sweeeeeet. Where did you order the gearset? Not only would this help my mileage... but top speed would be improved as well, since right now I run out of RPM before I run out of power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i don't recall the name of the honda dealership that i bought the gears from, but majestic honda shows the gears in their parts pages. they are shown on the mt mainshaft parts page as #6 with a p/n of 83557, and mt countershaft parts page as #4 with a p/n of 83580. the pair of gears are about $100. majestic honda has rarely let me down as far as parts availability. like i said, the honda maintenance manual makes this job a walk in the park. take your time and good luck. by the way, i sealed the transmission case halves with locktite 515, but im sure that aviation permatex would work just as good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
luober said:
i don't recall the name of the honda dealership that i bought the gears from, but majestic honda shows the gears in their parts pages. they are shown on the mt mainshaft parts page as #6 with a p/n of 83557, and mt countershaft parts page as #4 with a p/n of 83580. the pair of gears are about $100. majestic honda has rarely let me down as far as parts availability. like i said, the honda maintenance manual makes this job a walk in the park. take your time and good luck. by the way, i sealed the transmission case halves with locktite 515, but im sure that aviation permatex would work just as good.
You are my new hero (don't be too honored...I'm easily impressed :) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.