Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just picked up my first CRX yesterday. It's a 1989 CRX DX with headers, high flow cat, exhaust, intake, and short shifter. Now, I was perusing around the engine bay, and at first, I obviously thought it had the D15B2 due to the dual point injection, but as I peered down at the block, instead of the "D15B2" stamp, it says "D16A6"......so I'm guessing the previous owner put the 1.6 engine in, but either didn't know how to wire the MPFI or was just lazy.

Anyways I thought that was interesting...a D16A6 with DPFI, lol.

The car is in MINT shape too, I can't wait to get her out on the road

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly wish I could do the DPFI -> MPFI, but I think I would screw up where the hoses go and everything. I have no problem with the ECU wiring but when it comes to the actual physical installation of the manifold and all the hoses and fuel line and such I think I would screw up somewhere in there...and plus I live in Southern Ontario, Canada, so there aren't many resources for parts that I know of around here...

Anyways here are a couple pictures of the exterior...I'll grab some engine shots later.... yes those are my winter rims, and I fixed the right headlight.

I can't figure out how to resize, so here are the links...

http://www.mountaincable.net/~egodwin/Rex1.jpg

http://www.mountaincable.net/~egodwin/Rex2.jpg

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
RexFan1 said:
It's a 1989 CRX DX with headers,
You have a header, not headers, unless you have a V8 in that Crx.

RexFan1 said:
I honestly wish I could do the DPFI -> MPFI, but I think I would screw up where the hoses go and everything. I have no problem with the ECU wiring but when it comes to the actual physical installation of the manifold and all the hoses and fuel line and such I think I would screw up somewhere in there...and plus I live in Southern Ontario, Canada, so there aren't many resources for parts that I know of around here...
If you can handle the ECU wiring, you could handle the physical aspect of connecting hoses. It is not a hard swap to do and would be worth it. You can check ebay for the swap and i am certain there are some ppl on here that have the parts, or check the classifieds on here as well.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
haha, thats waht I had thought about doing my first swap... it took a while, but I finally got it running. The vacuum lines, there are tons of write-ups on the MPFI swaps, and anyone on here (with a camera) will gladly post a pic of the bay for you to use. Might as well get the most out of it, right?

Also, do you know anything about whats up with the rocker panels? There was obviously some custom work done with them, and its actually along the lines of what I'm planning for my car.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I had a DPFI 'A6 in my rex for a little while. I took it down the track once and discovered it actually runs slower than a stock D15B2. It's probably because the ECU maps end up running the engine on the lean side of things.
rex2nr said:
Also, do you know anything about whats up with the rocker panels?
Looks to me like they removed the plastic parts and bondo'd or welded over the mounting holes.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
bobski said:
I had a DPFI 'A6 in my rex for a little while. I took it down the track once and discovered it actually runs slower than a stock D15B2. It's probably because the ECU maps end up running the engine on the lean side of things.
rex2nr said:
Also, do you know anything about whats up with the rocker panels?
Looks to me like they removed the plastic parts and bondo'd or welded over the mounting holes.
It looks like it has civic fenders on it too. You can tell they didn't just remove the plastic because the trim extends a half inch or more from the metal of the car. Either the rocker was fiberglassed in, or the rocker from a civic hatch was modded to fit.

example of a car with only the plastic removed (thanks CRXXX):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.