Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up? I am new to the forum. Tom sent me this way.
I am doing an A6 rebuild with no boost. It is my first rebuild ever. It has been a learning experience.
This A6 motor is going into my g/f's 91 crx dx. We both have white 91 crx's, and we use them to travel.

Our crx's.

Here is the motor that I bought with the intent to rebuild it.

Broken TPS when we pulled this out of another crx.

Trans. pulled off of the motor

Injectors

Broken PVC

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dizzy

Looks like some oil was leaking

Motor with some things removed

Valve Cover Removed

I have seen worse

Head removed

Flipped over

No air tools to get the crank bolt off

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil pan removed

Crank bolt and pulley removed without air tools

Timing Belt cover fully removed

Water pump looks new, and so does the T/B

W/P, O/P, Tensioner Removed

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looking good!!!

I've been thinking about buying an extra A6 for the same purpose. I've never completely rebuilt an engine so I would rather risk a spare rather than the engine currently in my car.

I see you live out in Overland Park, I use to live out there for a little bit. We need more Midwest members, too many East Coasters...I guess thats better than West Coasters...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Nice, i am going to be rebuilding a d16 i am getitng on the 25th, rc autoworks is doing mine tho

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Hey Kev! Glad you found your way over here, you'll get a lot more [useful] help than you would on Honda-Tech.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
joshman said:
Looking good!!!

I've been thinking about buying an extra A6 for the same purpose. I've never completely rebuilt an engine so I would rather risk a spare rather than the engine currently in my car.

I see you live out in Overland Park, I use to live out there for a little bit. We need more Midwest members, too many East Coasters...I guess thats better than West Coasters...
Yeah, the motor in her car uses lots of oil, and smokes like a chimney.
Overland Park is nice. Yeah we need more midwest members. We should have a midwest meet sometime.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shadowcrx said:
Nice, i am going to be rebuilding a d16 i am getitng on the 25th, rc autoworks is doing mine tho
This is my first time rebuilding a motor and I kind of wanted to learn more about motors and such.
I could have a shop build mine and they might do a better job than I, but they wanted to much money.
You should go by the shop and snap some pics while they are rebuilding it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
downest said:
Hey Kev! Glad you found your way over here, you'll get a lot more [useful] help than you would on Honda-Tech.
Thanks alot for telling me about this place. It seems nice.
So when can I fly you, your crx, and your tool out here so we can build my motor?

·
Registered
859 Posts
KansasKev said:
shadowcrx said:
This is my first time rebuilding a motor and I kind of wanted to learn more about motors and such.
I could have a shop build mine and they might do a better job than I, but they wanted to much money.
You should go by the shop and snap some pics while they are rebuilding it.
i havn't even got my motor yet so whenever i get it to them i will maybe get pics the shop is like 3 hours away i think

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I love it when people go DIY.
:)b to you for that.
Whats up with cyl #4?
That doesnt look normal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ollie said:
I love it when people go DIY.
:)b to you for that.
Whats up with cyl #4?
That doesnt look normal.
I think it looks worse in the pic than it really is. Some of the carbon flaked up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey down there in KS! I've been thru O-Park before, as well as Olathe-years back. Just so happen to be breaking down my replacement ZC 1.6 @ this moment also (own a black '90 Si, w/over 200,000). Having a time removing the main bearing cap assembly, after the ten long bolts - what else is there to removing it? Manual showing very little about it (can't locate my Helms, flying w/the Haynes @ the moment). Head currently in the machine shop getting stage two work done/along w/a turbo cam.
Happen to have the luxury of a compressor - kudos to breaking that crankshaft bolt by hand. Noticing I've got the same engine stand as you, no access to the digital camera though - nice pics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zookr said:
Hey down there in KS! I've been thru O-Park before, as well as Olathe-years back. Just so happen to be breaking down my replacement ZC 1.6 @ this moment also (own a black '90 Si, w/over 200,000). Having a time removing the main bearing cap assembly, after the ten long bolts - what else is there to removing it? Manual showing very little about it (can't locate my Helms, flying w/the Haynes @ the moment). Head currently in the machine shop getting stage two work done/along w/a turbo cam.
Happen to have the luxury of a compressor - kudos to breaking that crankshaft bolt by hand. Noticing I've got the same engine stand as you, no access to the digital camera though - nice pics.
Where are you located now?
The main bearing cap assembly-I had to pop it a few times with the rubber mallet. See if you can't get a digital cam. Pics are worth a million words.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:roll: Got my posts switched here, finally (carefully) knocked it loose there w/the mallet - trying to get some pics up soon. Piston tops all look good, very little wear on the cylinder walls. The post below should be on top of this one here . . . .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yah - had to use a breaker bar on those 10 bolts, have chucked it a few times w/a rubber mallet as you said - but was worried there might be bolts lurking that I hadn't seen as of yet. Phone cam is all I got, really.
Cheesy, but works . . . .
Oh, guess I didn't fill out the personal section for the profile page - am up north in Waukegan, IL - 40 miles north of Chicago, work as a local mover.
You have heard of "Quintiles" there around Overland Park? Did a few gigs w/them for some $ a few years back.
Besides the CRX, running a '92 F-150 XLT, bored/stroked to 392c.i. w/ROUSH heads, full 3" exhaust, etc., etc. - burned out on it 'cuz it's v8/prem. gas only - but keep it around for work.
www.fordtruckworld.com "effieninedeuce"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey, Kevin, interesting and well-documented article. I just joined the Community and will be checking out the posted articles over the next few days. I see a lot of familiar names.

Your GF's DX is a dead ringer for my wife's car, except it being an Auto tranny, which she prefers for her mostly city driving. Give me a manual any day.....

Her car is the fifth CRX I've bought- '86 DX (red manual), '88 DX (red manual), '91 Si (TG), 91Si (TG), '91 DX, (white auto).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
crxsquared said:
Hey, Kevin, interesting and well-documented article. I just joined the Community and will be checking out the posted articles over the next few days. I see a lot of familiar names.

Your GF's DX is a dead ringer for my wife's car, except it being an Auto tranny, which she prefers for her mostly city driving. Give me a manual any day.....

Her car is the fifth CRX I've bought- '86 DX (red manual), '88 DX (red manual), '91 Si (TG), 91Si (TG), '91 DX, (white auto).
That is cool that you made it here. I just made it here about a week or so ago. Yep my g/f and I will both be getting the cruise. She also has an 02 Celica, that she likes driving around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was originally going to rebuild this motor with all stock parts, but then I got to thinking about it and found someone in my area to help me out. So we are going to build it up a little. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

D16a6 block
D16a6 head not sure about P&P
D16Y8 head gasket
DOHC pistons .040 OVERSIZED http://cgi.ebay.com/CIVIC-DOHC-ZC-NE...cmdZViewIt em
Cam ?????
Intake Manifold ???? Possibly port the stock A6
Header ????
Exhaust ???
ACL main bearings
ACL Rod bearings
ACL Thrust Washers
Clutch http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...mZ8036095 372

Again open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts