Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I'm home finally. It was a pretty crappy day all around Friday so lets start with the 1st problem.

Thursday evening:
Get my hood finished enough to go, just waiting on paint to dry. Ill put it on Fri am before I leave. Valve cover was pretty nasty so I scrubbed it down and rinsed it off.

Fri 6am:

Go out and start to put the hood on....one of the bolt holes had a little fiberglass in it so I had to drill it and put a new bolt in. Car is packed so we head to breakfast. 6:45 am we leave the restaraunt and the car isnt running very well. Out of nowhere there is a code 15 (ignition output signal) OH CRAP!!!! I check wires etc...reset ecu car still not running right but no code....hmm.

7:15 am : Get to my bank get some cash and go to advance auto across the street ( 24hour store ). I pop the hood and hear hissing. So I pull the plug wire cover off and there is water around 2 plug wires and in 2 plug tubes :shock: So I dry it out as much as I can and get going. Car smoothes out after about 20 min or so.

Sometime around 11am: We stop still in Va to get gas and somthing to eat on the way. Get going

11:45am We are nearing Hagerstown, MD when I notice in my side mirror alot of smoke coming from my car. I pull off the next exit and stop at the light. Pull the car out of 5th gear and the shift rods hit the ground :shock: WTF!!!! My wife and I push the car over to the side of the road and I look under it and see the shift linkage on the ground ( bitch pin nowhere to be found ) and BLACK oil pouring out of the tranny. I put my finger in the oil and being black...its burnt of course but there is also alot of shiny metal flakes in it.

Noon: I walk a little ways up to a hick garage. The mechanic proceeds to tell me how my car has shift cables not rods. OK....so I ask where a parts store is and get to jogging the 2 miles to Advance auto :? Get to advance buy a new jack and stands, rags, oil, funnel w/ hose to fill tranny up. Call a cab this time and get back to the car. I actually had a few bitch pins at my house and one happened to be in my glove box, I had gotten from a junkyard run about a year ago :lol:

1-1:30pm : Get it all back together and start putting oil in the tranny and its coming out as fast as I put it in :shock: OMG WTF!!! Happened. I drove my car to the hick garage and found out where a junkyard is. I called them and they have a tranny. I drive 10 miles on the bad tranny leaking oil and smoking to find out the IDIOTS have a 94 Integra not a 90-93 like I asked for. So if i had a hydro tranny I would have been saved.

2:30 : After searching all over the junkyard and coming up empty ( there is a 1st gen with a MINT driver fender on it there btw) I was reffered to a tranny shop. I tell the dude im travelling etc...he says he could look at it sometime next week :? On my way out I stopped at a garage to see if they could help me somehow. I explain the problem and he says "Did you take the pan off the tranny yet?" WTF!!? He didnt hear a word I said so I leave.

3:00 pm : Find a phone book and drive 15 more miles to an AAMCO. They look at it and basically tell me its leaking oil :? again WTF?!!? I already told them that. its now 4pm and they close at 5 and can pull the tranny on monday. SCREW THAT! I'm not staying in this town full of freakin idiots for a good week. I called the place I got my B16 tranny from a few years back to see if they can locate one for me up my way. He comes back after a few minutes and tells me someone in Hagerstown has a 92 ls tranny with 350,000 miles on it and he wants $700 for it :x . So we laugh about it and I leave aamco

See the trail Im leaving

4:30 or somthing: Get a hotel room and order pizza.

Sat 8am: Still no luck so im going to rent a truck and tow it home. Only problem....no tow dolleys anywhere
:rolleyes1: FIGURES!!! Finally track down a Budget dealer and he has a truck and another dealer about an hour from him has a car trailer. So I make the deal and hop in the truck to pick it it up. Finally got the car loaded up and then off to eat then hit the road.

On a funnier note, I couldnt help but laugh at this

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
:shock: d*mn man, what a story, i would've wanted to smash more than a few heads in when dealing with those small town idiots. on long trips, I'm always dreading a breakdown like that, props to you for surviving all that hassle.

keep us posted on the engine/tranny status.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Glad to see you made it home OK. Your welcome, it was the least I could do for a fellow Rex'er and friend. Sorry you did'nt take me up on the offer could have saved you the cost in a truck. I guess we will have to hook up for the drive down to the FL meet.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im goiing to pull the tranny tomorrow probably. Im pretty sure its toast. Its not really grinding or anything but I know I have driven a good 60 miles on it with it leaking oil and low on oil. The metal keeps coming out....thank god it stayed mobile.

I think I will probably save my money and buy a new Type R tranny (yeah I said new) and convert to hydro unless I come across a sweet deal on a ls tranny or somthing.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's the hood no doubt about it. On top of it looking like it needs a lot of bondo and elbow grease to make it look smooth. it just doesn't belong on a CRX. I have seen those hoods on Mustangs and they still look ugly.
Sorry to hear about your problems, I would start by replacing the hood.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'm just glad you got home safe. Too bad you couldn't take my red Si! Then you would have had a spare crx at some point in the future.
Keep us updated and let us know what actually happened to the tranny.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crxter said:
It's the hood no doubt about it. On top of it looking like it needs a lot of bondo and elbow grease to make it look smooth. it just doesn't belong on a CRX. I have seen those hoods on Mustangs and they still look ugly.
I wasnt asking for opinions on my hood. The hood was ready but I dropped it on the corner of it cracking the fiberglass and had to start over a few days out from N12. If you read up I even said that I was just finishing it up enough to go on the trip.

On another note what would I replace it with? There is no hood that will fit. Look at my sig, there is not plain jane B swap there and I need hood clearance. Or maybe because I have a body kit you think Im some ricer that just did it to be cool?

here is a link to my H22 post when I put the motor in. Read up and look at the pics and you will see why I have to have a hood like this.[/url]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sucks that all that had to happen on the way to N12. That's a good looking car, will be cool to see it with the hood done and everything. Are you going to smooth and taper out the transition on the cowl so it looks kinda like a much bigger version of the SiR (if that's the "bump up" one) hood?

In any case great looking car. I assume that's a NIN reference on the plate and not just a huge coincidence...there was just a little Nails discussion on my "I hate theives" thread since I saw them the night that my car got broken into.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the link sorry 8)
http://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.p ... hlight=h22

Yeah it is a NIN reference 8)

The hood was actually finished and smoothed out until I had my mishap. That one was kinda thrown together to make the trip.

Now for the XXX pics:

One F'd Tranny.....

Well here is the hole

Popped a plug out of the back of the tranny and found this

When I pulled the casing apart this fell out

Here is the internal shot of the hole. Part of the casing is what came apart and ate everything up I guess.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
:RIP: yeowza! so a small bit of the inside of the case came off? had to have been hit by something else...?? :?:

·
Registered
953 Posts
black_krix_si said:
When I pulled the casing apart this fell out
Thats standard in all honda trannys now, didnt you get the memo? I'll make sure you get a copy of that memo.

Sorry to here about it. That type R would be off the hook though!!!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear about the misfortune. I heard that someone's tranny went on the way up, but I didn't know who's, or how bad it was. I wish you could have made it up... Chris's car (k-rx) might have had a bit more competition :p. I hope, for your wallet's sake, you find another LS tranny. Though the type R tranny would be very nice....

crxter said:
Don't be an ass, it's not needed around here.

·
Registered
92 FD3S
293 Posts
crxter said:
WTF is your problem?

I know a ricer when I see one, and this car sure doesn't fit the profile. Dude is a hardcore rexer who was busting his ass to make it up to N12 and in my book that makes just about anyone ok. I didn't see your busted **** a the meet.

Grow a pair

-Geoff

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ive been looking around and i think I can get my hands on a NEW type r tranny for under $1900, unless someone can get me a hook up 8) Im kinda scared to buy a used tranny after this, but i might have to get the car mobile again.

Considering a quaife is around $1,000 plus the cost of a used tranny I wouldnt be far off from that.

Oh its a PITA to get the tranny out with the H2B, Im gonna yank the motor and put back as one piece....will be much easier :lol:

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I paid $1800 for my car as a repo 4 years ago. Since then its seen 2 d16 clutches...a b16...now a H22. It has attended N10 and N11 and Ive had a blast at both meets.

I have no idea what would have caused the casing to come apart either. I would really like to know how the bitch pin came out :shock: That one has me puzzled :?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.