Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you doppers think badly, I'm talking medical purposes (and no, it's still not pot).

Lately I've been getting some terrible chest pains. When I cough, breath in deep, jump, land, lean forward, laugh, sleep on my side, well I think you get the point; I get a horrible chest pain right beside my left lung. I went to my doctor, and he said it was inflamation around my lung. He prescribed to me these pills. I read up on them and apparently they can do more harm then good. My doctor is a bandaid doctor, instead of finding what wrong he will just cure your pain.

I'll give him credit, the pills DID work, unfortunatly it had some severe side effect that lead me to stop using them after 2-3 days. Complete loss of appetite, acid reflux, general gut pain and things of that nature where the side effect, just like the canadian medical website said. Great.

Now I'm asking you a simple question, does anyone know of any herbs that help inflamation and promote proper circulation? I'm a strong beleive in the power of natural plants. I've seen it work first hand on fellow family members. I would go see a naturopath (sp) but at a whopping $120/hour, it's not even a choice.

Anyone know? I'd like to be able to sleep again.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've been on some heavy medication before, and I know from experience it can take well over a week to fully get used to them. Most side effects go away, and others are usually manageable.

Drugs work. Herbs usually only mask symptoms, or work as a placebo at best, when issues are more serious.

Don't trust herbs when it's anything more serious than a cough, sneeze or a runny nose.

However, inflammation is somewhat of an exception. It has been proven that arthritis and some muscle pains are controlled quite a bit with several herbs. Inflammation falls in the same category, just like fevers. You could try something like that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SETI20 said:
I've been on some heavy medication before, and I know from experience it can take well over a week to fully get used to them. Most side effects go away, and others are usually manageable.

Drugs work. Herbs usually only mask symptoms, or work as a placebo at best, when issues are more serious.

Don't trust herbs when it's anything more serious than a cough, sneeze or a runny nose.

However, inflammation is somewhat of an exception. It has been proven that arthritis and some muscle pains are controlled quite a bit with several herbs. Inflammation falls in the same category, just like fevers. You could try something like that.
I don't like modern medicine. They are usually just on trial use most of the time, and each one has a list the size of a dictionary of rules to be able to take them, and there side effects. Herbs are natural and can do no harm if taken in rations. I've been taking advil as it has anti-inflamatory but even then, I don't like pills at all and have a hard time swallowing them.

And herbs are powerful, my dad controls his diabetes with an herb over 7 daily pills. He normally sit at 5-8 in blood sugar, perfect for an aging male. Plus he save quite a bit by not buying into the diabetes medicine. His doctor is quite pleased with his diabetes and how he threats it, although when it spikes he needs to take the actual pills as they are stronger then the herb (which most medicines tend to be).

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The only reason herb's don't have a encyclopedia with precautions, is because it's not mandatory to provide them. They can do just as much harm. Sometimes more even, because there are plenty of people allergic to an ingredient in some herbal blends.

Medicine is made from natural resources, just as much as herbs are. Chemistry is a perfectly natural occurrence.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SETI20 said:
The only reason herb's don't have a encyclopedia with precautions, is because it's not mandatory to provide them. They can do just as much harm. Sometimes more even, because there are plenty of people allergic to an ingredient in some herbal blends.

Medicine is made from natural resources, just as much as herbs are. Chemistry is a perfectly natural occurrence.
Most medicine now is synthesized tho, very little natural source in it as synthesizing can be cheaper now adays. And the fact that my apetite disappeared when I did take them got me worried. I love to eat. I'm not saying pills are bad, cause they aren't, but it seems that here the doctors care more about prescribing medicine so they can sell there products and turn you into a repeating customer rather then helping your health. People think the Canadian health plan is awesome since we have free health care, but the doctors don't care about there patience from my experience. I know my doctor cares more about the check the government sends him then my health.

I should mention the 30 pills I was giving cost over 400$ lol. Ridiculous, good thing my school has a medical plan for it's students.

The advil seems to be doing it's trick during the day but again it's a pill, and I hate those. I know if I would of demanded french services I would of gotten a better doctor.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ti Rider said:
Seriously, find another doctor......
You honestly think it's that easy?

I don't think you guys realise how short of doctors Canada, or adleast Ontario, is. I'm LUCKY to have a doctor. I think my town is 20% population without doctors. When a new doctor opens a practice in my city, there is a line up and a huge waiting list for patients. My doctor also prohibits me from going to walk in clinics (he's just a money hungry dink in my opinion, he won't even touch you to exam you). If I go more then 3 times I get removed from his patient list. It's either I deal with him, or suffer, or go to the emergency room for a 12 hour wait, no thanks.

Well I guess my initial question won't get an answer lol. I'll just suffer, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The problem with natural herbs is the lack of scientific data to support the claims usually associated with them...you can try looking for natural cures on the internet, www.erowid.com has a lot of information and user feedback, unfortunatly most of the info is from kids trying to get high...www.rxlist.com has some good info on the side effects of perscription drugs, that may give you some insight as to what to expect from alternative perscription medicines that cure your ailments with "better" side effects...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm not sure about Canada, but here in The States, there's a lot of little shops that have wall to wall herbs and the shop owners (at least around here) are pretty knowledgable about what fixes what. one that comes to mind is Herbs-R-4-U and there's a couple others...

A friend of mine had acid reflux issues (I refuse to call it a disease) and went in and asked what they'd recommend as an alternative to the doctor prescribed $75/month presctiption. They hooked him up with something or other that ended up costing him $4.99 a month and it worked better than a doctor prescribed pill.

Stop by a herb shop and ask what they'd recommend.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
You quit smoking yet? :lol:

It just so happens that my place of employment started an "Alternative Health Plan" in which one of the main features of the plan is a holistic or natural approach to medicine. There's a lot to do with it and quite a lot of it I think is extreme, but I've asked our 'witch doctor' to bring in her herbal remedy book tomorrow and I'll let you know if it has anything good. In the meantime, I googled and found this...
http://www.all-natural.com/herbguid.html

I'll look in the hippie book tomorrow and see if I can find anything comparable to what you've got.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Ok, first off, I'm not a doctor and i don't play one on the net. So these are just general thoughts....

You mentioned you have inflammation in the chest. One big question I'd have is what is the cause of the inflammation? If it's an infection, and the drugs he gave you are antibiotics, you should take them, take them all, on the schedule. I know from experience that some of the side effects you mentioned can come from antibiotics, and if your body isn't getting on top of a deep infection, you _need_ the medication.

As for herbs and natural remedies, a lot of good things have been said about them in this thread already. Some of these are very good and powerful meds in their own right, and your doc should know what you're taking, so as to be able to take into account any interactions. Many modern meds are derived from natural substances--so the thing to keep in mind is that these natural substances are in fact drugs, just not regulated drugs.

There's a local npr program out of chapel hill, the people's pharmacy. I'm on 56k now or I'd check, but they take calls and I think they are available online (and perhaps have podcasts on the itunes store). The hosts are good in balancing natural remedies with regular medical advice.

Recently a lot of folks have tied antioxidants to controlling general inflammation, so you may look into that route. But first you need to find out _exactly_ what your doc is treating you for. Inflammation is a general condition, not really any kind of diagnosis.

You mentioned advil--ibuprofen is great for controlling inflammation. If you have muscle pain from working out, it will kill the pain. If you have body aches from the flu, it will help the pain, reduce the fever, and help your body tolerate the sides effects of the fever. But if you have a bad back, it may control the pain to the point that you continue moving in the manner that caused the pinched nerve in the first place, making the condition that is the source of the pain worse. And if you have strep, it might make you feel better just long enough for the strep to kill you dead.

And if you thinking natural remedies, the first place to start (IMO, FWIW, WAM) I think is basic diet and exercise (and you may well be doing this great already, but it's worth mentioning in cause you're not). Multi-colored veggies are a good source of antioxidants--if you're eating cheeseburgers and fries everyday, change your diet. Most multi-vitamins have good doses of antioxidants, too.

Moderate exercise helps your immune system protect you--30-40 minutes of moderate exercise 4-5 times a week often helps (at least it helps me--I'm not in what I'd call good shape, but I don't get sick nearly as often as I used to when I didn't exercise). Yoga's good, too, in that it promotes circulation.

But I think the most important thing to do is find out exactly what your doc is treating you for and what he's treating you with, and then go out and do more research. If you have questions and no one better to ask, pm me, I've got a couple of friends in the medical and naturalmedical areas I can ask...

Ok, I'll get off the soapbox, good luck!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I'm with bil on the diet and exercise. Lifestyle can play a big part in your health. Sleep too.

How active are you and do you eat on the run / fast food much? A good sleep schedule and tracking of what you put into your body can go a long way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only thing I can add to what bil recommended is to drink loads of water. I started a regime a few weeks ago of a minimim of 96oz of water a day, with the first glass as soon as I get up.

I'd been taking Prevacid for years and I've now been able to stop with little sensation from my 20-year old acid reflux. My whole digestive system is better for it. I've also stopped drinking any kind of soda and started eating lots of organic food. Generally, I fell a bunch better and I figure it's not doijng me any harm.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I'm not a herbologist, nor a doctor...but here's some information I copied from "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" - James Balch and Phyllis Balch

INFLAMATION
Inflammation is a natural reaction to injury or injection. The affected tissues swell, redden, become warm and tender, and may be painful. Any organ or tissue of the body, internal or external, can become inflamed. Internal inflammation is often caused by bacterial infection, but can also be caused by disorders such as arthritis or allergies.

NUTRIENTS

Essential
Vitamin C w/ boiflavonoids - 3-6,000 mg daily, in divided doses - Essential to the healing process and in reducing inflammation.

Very Important
Proteolytic enzymes or Infla-Zyme Forte from American Biologics - As directed on label, btw meals and at bedtime, for 1 month. @ tablets 2x daily, between meals - Aids in controlling inflammation.

Superoxide dismutase (SOD) - As directed on label - A high-potency free radical scavenger that reduces infection and inflammation.

Zinc - 50mg daily. Do not exceed a total of 1200mg daily from all supplements. - Helps to control inflammation and promotes healing. Use zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc for best absorption.

Important
AE Mulsion Forte from American Biologics - As directed on label - Supplies vitamins A and E in easy assimilable emulsion form to destroy free radicals, boost the immune system, and help the body to use oxygen efficiently.

Bromelain - As directed on label. Take on empty stomach w/ 100-500mg magnesium and 500 mg L-cysteine to enhance results. Take separately from copper and iron. - Has anti-inflammatory activity and increases the breakdown of fibrin, which forms around the inflamed area, blocking the blood and lymphatic vessels and leading to swelling.

Garlic (Kyolic) - 2 capsules 3 x daily, w/ meals. - Has natural anti-inflammatory properties.

Multimineral complex - As directed on label. - Supplies important minerals. Needed to reduce stress. Use a formula high in calcium.

Silica or horsetail - As directed on label, 2x daily - Supplies silicon, which aids in absorption of calcium and repair of connective tissue.

Helpful
Kelp or alfalfa - 1,000-1500 mg daily - Contains a balance of essential minerals plus chlorophyll, which cleanses the blood.

Raw thymus glandular - As directed on label - Improves thymus function - Important for immune system

VitaCarte from Phoenix BioLabs - As directed on label - Contains bovine cartilage, which has been shown to be effective in reducing inflammation

Herbs
- Alfalfa is a good source of minerals and chlorophyll
- Bilberry contains flavonoids that reduce inflammation
- Echinacea, goldenseal, pau d'arco, red clover, and yucca are all good for inflammation. DO NOT take goldenseal internally on a daily basis for more than one week at a time, do not use during pregnancy, and use with caution if you are allergic to ragweed
- Horsetail extract is a good source of silica, beneficial for healing and repair of bones and connective tissue

Recommendations
- Eat a diet composed of 75% raw foods, and drink plenty of herbal teas and juices
- Consume ½ of a fresh pineapple daily. This is one of the best remedies for swelling and inflammation. It should reduce the pain and swelling in tow to six days. Only fresh pineapple (not canned) is effective.
- Avoid cola, sugar, white flour products, and junk foods.

Considerations- The traditional methods for relieving inflammation are positioning the affected part properly, applying heat and/or ice (heat and cold therapies), taking painkillers along with nutritional supplements, and getting plenty of rest

*I would also suggest finding a good health food store, or herb store and take this information with you and see what their recommendations are. Good luck man...being sick sucks, so I hope you can figure this out and get better.

Now I've gotta find the tendinitus section after typing all this crap. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.