Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got some good progress out of the womans (The drunk who hit my poor HF) insurance. They kinda got on the ball when I faxed them the police report and leaving a dozen voice mails. I finally got my rental today...(Im not even going to mention what it is, but I miss my CRX BAD!)

The insurance company is Nationwide.
Anyway its not looking good for the HF, pretty sure its going to get wrote off. Someone is sopposed to come and look at it and estimate the damage and or the worth of the car. The body was in GREAT shape minus the paint before it got smashed. But the drivers side suspension took a major blow to the point the knuckle and LCA are bent to almost touching the strut. And the axle wont make it long. They didnt even ask to have it towed anywhere to estimate damage...

If they total the car, are they going to give me the option to buy it back?

OR are they going to give me $$ for what they think its worth and take it...Im really worried since its an 88. They alrdy got estimates for my friends 99 civic, which was 2400 at the honda dealer! Im afraid I might get the shaft with an 88rex. It books for 1800 on kelly blue book in good shape....

Im going to try to stress all teh work Ive done to it, which isnt much:
Newer gas tank, new Walbro 190lph fuel pump.
Comepletet tune up with newer dizzy from a 90si,
Si exhaust, headers an all, pace setter cat back. (it was really quiet on the 8 valve lol!)
89 si seats patched.
90si adjustable steering column.
Fixed all the water leaks 2 days before it got smacked (thanks mithuth)
The fact I only got to put 2000 miles on the sucker...
The fact that its a hard to find HF model that gets over 40mpg (Gota try?)

Any thoughts, Ideas?
I have no idea if I want to start again with another rex or attempt to fix the HF, which is a hit or miss.

The only good thats came out of this so far was the girl who rented me the car at enterprise was HOTT. :lol: And I dont have to hitch 30mi rides anymore...

· Registered
5,147 Posts
Pull out all reciepts for work done. Do your research through KBB and NADA and get the value of the car from both. If possible find other 88hfs that have sold and the prices they went for, maybe ebay?

Since its not modified you will probably just get KBB value, but if NADA is higher I would fight for that. Tell them you want to keep the car since its not totalled, its just damaged more than they will repair.

What I did was kept stressing the fact that it wasnt my fault it was their customer. Pulling out reciepts etc.. I ended up with $4500 for my car vs the $2100 they offered (then again my car was far from factory).

You can buy it back for around $300 probably, they will take that off the final amount. I would expect to get book value for Fair or good condition though.

· Registered
20,445 Posts
Angry said:
Im going to try to stress all teh work Ive done to it, which isnt much:
Newer gas tank, new Walbro 190lph fuel pump.
Comepletet tune up with newer dizzy from a 90si,
Si exhaust, headers an all, pace setter cat back. (it was really quiet on the 8 valve lol!)
89 si seats patched.
90si adjustable steering column.
Fixed all the water leaks 2 days before it got smacked (thanks mithuth)
The fact I only got to put 2000 miles on the sucker...
The fact that its a hard to find HF model that gets over 40mpg (Gota try?)
Most of those things will not mean much to them.
Also as crappy as it sounds, without reciepts for that work, they prob will not even look twice at it. They will look at it being a nearly 20yr old Honda.

I would guess you would get to buy it back. Most liekly they will deduct that out of what they offer/you get for the car once it is written off.

· Registered
74 Posts
I had my crx written off as totalled and my insurance gave me the option of keeping the car for $209. My car was complete stock and was in mint condition. I got $2500. I replaced the sunroof with a brand new OEM back in November and it got whacked in January. I'm sure you can buy it back but the value might not be as high since its an HF. Mine was an SI.

I just decided to keep the car and look for a shell or a whole semi rust free CRX no matter what model since I can use a ton of parts off my SI. If they sell it back to you for a cheap price, I'd go ahead and keep it and reuse parts if you decide to go with another CRX.

Good luck with your decision and hope this helps!

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Argue for what you can, receipts help, but if you complain enough and stick to your guns, you'll at least get a small bonus. Take that and buy the car back for cheap, then fix or use parts towards another rex, depending on how much you get.

Unfortunately when you don't have aftermarket or upgraded parts galore on your car, the insurance usually doesn't care if the example of the stock vehicle was a shiny, no rust, every accessory working car, or a rust-bucket, failing, barely running car.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya, remember, don't except their first offer!

· Registered
1,818 Posts
This won't help in Angry's case, but I talked with my agent a few weeks ago about what to do about mine when I get it finished (which I figure will be 2112), I'm with Nationwide and she said if I want decent comp/collision, I'd need to get it appraised and bring them the appraisal, and they'd class it as a collectible at the appraised value.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had planned on getting full coverage AFTER I at least got it swapped and cleaned up some more..... I didnt even make it that far. :x

And as an uodate I woman is sopposed to come look at it tommrow. I just hope to get enough to buy back the HF, and get another one. The HF can be fixed, but its going to need ALOT....steering rack,pretty much the whole drivers side suspension and axle. And thats just to get it rolling right. I will fix it eventually though.

And another side note, the woman to hit my car hired a lawyer to try and get out of the citations she recived. Im not even gonna wish her luck with that as she is pretty screwed due to the police report....LOL! Stupid people....GGRrr!

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Angry said:
And another side note, the woman to hit my car hired a lawyer to try and get out of the citations she recived. Im not even gonna wish her luck with that as she is pretty screwed due to the police report....LOL! Stupid people....GGRrr!
well you can't blame her...after all you said it, she is pretty screwed. I just hope she gets what she deserves...and you get the money/parts/next car you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.